View Poll Results:

Voters
0. You may not vote on this poll
  • 0 0%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New York City Restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by TonyO View Post
    For some restaurants, yes. Del Posto, Morimoto, Nobu in midtown: these are all restaurants that fit what you are talking about. But NY is much more dynamic than that. There are many different restaurants for the many different customers here. For instance, I am into restaurants that fit into shoeboxes with different cuisine. There are many downtown where I live. There are many restaurants with the one-main-dish style like dumplings, arepas, empanadas, non-mexican burritos. There are just too many neighborhoods and too many restaurants (and too little time and money) to visit them all.

Here as well, but probably less on average than SF which has a much more finicky public overall. These places are abundant here but not 'required' because for every customer who places a high value on organic/health food there are 10 customers who will overlook/don't care.

But we're talking about the city itself. NY's immediate region has no Napa/Sonoma nor the mega-farms with ideal weather, but it has pockets of local producers that supply the high-end chefs.

This is not necessarily a plus in my opinion and points to the power of the finicky there that is as much of a hinderance as it is a positive. NY has the idealism of SF but it's "check" is the power of money.

Again, we're talking about the cities themselves.

A good reason why this comparison is apples-oranges. But its Saturday, so I have the time.

There is a very good restaurant diversity in SF. But here, a Peruvian restaurant is owned, operated, staffed (and visited) by Peruvians.
    Hmm, downtown Manhattan is my favorite dining area in NYC. 9 out of 10 times, I would head downtown in Manhattan to eat while I was there.

Anyways, looks like we can agree that S.F. and Manhattan are more comparable than L.A. and Manhattan. We can just as easliy point out the similarites (e.g., they both deliver). Both places can easily wow your tastebuds. Here is a neighborhood to neighborhood matchup:

Rich Upper East Side (Close to Park) = Pacific heights (Snobby)
    Not so Rich Upper East side (Away from Park) = Russian Hill
    Rich Upper West Side (Close to Park) = Nob Hill
    Not Rich Upper West Side = Hayes Valley (theatre, Opera, great mix of dining, etc.)
    Midtown = Financial District (both concentrated buildings
    lower east side = Mission District
    East Village = Asbury Haight (Asbury is even more funky!)
    The Main village = North Beach (also little Italy) and Marina District and Cow Hollow
    Soho/tribeca/Meatpacking = South of Market (Both Lofty, Industrial, and great lofty like restaurants, night clubs and shops.
    New West Village (along the water) = South Beach
    Queens = Richmond District
    Chinatown = chinatown
    And there are more neighborhoods in each city, but I'll stop here.

Back to diversity though, there is diversity in S.F. that most people from the outside do not know about. Particularly in the Richmond district, and to a lesser extent, the Mission district. The Richmond is a large section and is similar to diversity as queens. Nobody really talks about the Richmond, and it is not advertised, but they do have very good restaurants. The Mission is also large and is like the lower east side/east village in a sense with a large latino and yuppie population, great Mexican food, rising star chefs opening new restaurants, fancy botique shops, and new developments galore. True, the peruvian restaurant I mentioned (Fresca in Pacific Heights) is in a predominately well heeled white neighborhood, but it is owned and operated by Peruvians.

The article you first posted I felt was not really true in the sense that CA is not all about L.A., L.A., in my opinion, is much less comparable to NYC than S.F.

Chow

Quote Originally Posted by fairy1 View Post
    Apologies if this has been said anywhere else...
    im looking for a "typical " american diner that does a good new york breakfast near-ish times square.

Any dinner I have been to by Times Square has been horrible in my opnion.. I also lived in Astoria where I agree wtih many; has the best diners in NYC!

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Terrific website for NYC restaurants: Savory New York
    Thanks Lofter1 - This website is going to be a great help.
    It's certainly worth trawling through some of these 'sticky' threads!

^Thanks from me, too, Lofter Ė I hadnít seen that one before. Itís too bad that this guide, like every other one Iíve ever looked at, lacks adequate information about whether restaurants are accessible to persons with physical disabilities. My roommate uses a wheelchair, as do several of our friends. The absence of information about restaurant accessibility means that we usually avoid restaurants in which one of us has not already eaten or scouted out in advance.

Zagatís used to have a list of "wheelchair accessible" restaurants, but it dropped that feature at least 5 years ago. And a "wheelchair accessible" or "not accessible" rating, without more, doesnít provide enough information to be useful. The Times restaurant reviews have recently begun giving the kinds of specifics that are needed. I.e., "Entrance at street level and restrooms wheelchair accessible but tables very closely spaced" or "One step at entrance and restroom inaccessible."

Asking a restaurant about its accessibility is problematic. Last year, my roommate and I ate at a well-known, large restaurant near Carnegie Hall. Since I knew that itís located atop a platform 5 steps up from street level, I asked about its wheelchair accessibility when I called for our reservation and was assured that it was accessible. It was a very cold evening when we arrived at the bottom of those steps only to find nothing indicating how a wheelchair user could enter the place. I walked around the corner and spotted an elevator from the sidewalk to the platform level. We entered the elevator, shut the door and pushed the "up"button. Nothing happened. No intercom to contact anyone either.

Back to the 5 steps. I went in and spoke with someone who seemed to be in charge. He told me that he could try to find someone to carry "your friend" up the stairs or we could go around the block (in the opposite direction from the broken elevator) where weíd find a ramp.

The ramp was there, all right, but when we got to the top of the platform, we discovered that the only path from there to the restaurant led through the lobby of an office building unrelated to the restaurant, past a security checkpoint, and back outdoors to the platform.

Very cold and late, we got inside the restaurant, but it was so packed that a number of patrons had to stand up and move their chairs to enable us to pass on the way to our table.

Not a good way to start an enjoyable evening.

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

Default Wheelchair accessible restaurants ..

sucks that you don't know what you're getting into. My dad was in a chair for about a year, and it was tough.

According to my Michelin guide, accessible in NYC includes:

'inoteca (LES)
    Gobo (Greenwich Village)
    Mandarin Court (Chinatown)
    Artisanal (Murray Hill)
    Five Front (Dumbo)
    Picholine (Lincoln Center)
    Taste (UES)
    Fresh (Tribeca)
    Bann Thai (Forest Hills)
    Le Zie 2000 (Chelsea)

Hope that helps.

^Thanks. Some information is better than none, but simply categorizing a restaurant as "accessible" or "not accessible" is not enough, without knowing the source of the rating (the restaurant or the author of a guidebook) and what it means in practical terms. My roommate, for example, can easily get up or down a step or two at a restaurant's entrance but won't be able to use an interior passage or steps that are too narrow for his chair. Some people will care if a restroom's accessible; others won't. Today's Times review of the newly- (or almost-) reopened Waverly Inn gives the necessary specific details: "Street-level side entrance from Waverly Place to the back garden. Entire restaurant on one level. Accessible restroom."

In a city with as many restaurants as NYC, there isn't an overall shortage of accessible ones (even though I'd estimate that fewer than half are), but a big problem identifying them.
    Last edited by ManhattanKnight; January 24th, 2007 at 12:19 PM.

http://tinyurl.com/2ag28z Front_Porch's Avatar

Well, the next time I go somewhere chair-friendly, I'll post.

Default I like City Hall

I like the restaurant City Hall at 131 Duane St. I own www.manhattanbars.com where you can share your experiences in New York. I also like to stay and eat at the Hudson Hotel in midtown. Hope that helps!!

Hmmmm ^^^

Please CONSIDER THIS

Can anyone recommend a restaurant that provides entertainment / live music and good food and also caters for children?

Default Does anybody know a good spanish (from Spain) restaurant?

Does anybody know a good spanish (from Spain) restaurant?

Forum Veteran

Solera, East 53rd street

Default Eat cheap, Eat well

Places where you can eat well and cheaply.

Default El gran castillo de jaguar

I have one suggestion. It is "el gran castillo de Jaguar" in Prospect Park. It is so cheap, so good, a little bit dirty, but very authentic.

Casa Mono, definitely.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast