Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Municipal Building - One Centre Street at Chambers Street - by McKim, Mead & White

Another picture, then

Just beautiful.

"Beaux arts," alright.

Well I had to go down to have some work done by DCAS, at least they let me do it on work time, and got to go up to the 21st floor of the building. I didnt think I would get a chance to take a picture since everything was pretty sealed off but when I got into the mens room on the south side of the 21st floor I was able to sneak a few pics out the window with my cameraphone. Just wish the weather could have been better:

Does anyone else find this vaguely 1920s-50s Soviet?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Yes but much more refined imho.

I love the way this building changes with the light at different times of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by czsz View Post
    Does anyone else find this vaguely 1920s-50s Soviet?
    Stalin chuckles in his grave.

From nyc-architecture.com :
    "The Municipal Building in downtown New York impressed Josef Stalin so much that the Moscow University main building (1949-1953) and its accompanying "Seven Sisters" was later based on it -- as well as, in general, the whole grandiose public building style in the Soviet Union and its worldwide empire."

And from Wikipedia (please forgive me, I'm rushed.):
    "Enormously influential in the civic construction of other American cities, its application of Beaux-Arts architecture served as the prototype for the Terminal Tower in Cleveland, the Fisher Building in Detroit, and the Wrigley Building in Chicago."

Quote Originally Posted by fioco View Post
    Stalin chuckles in his grave.

From nyc-architecture.com :
    "The Municipal Building in downtown New York impressed Josef Stalin so much that the Moscow University main building (1949-1953) and its accompanying "Seven Sisters" was later based on it -- as well as, in general, the whole grandiose public building style in the Soviet Union and its worldwide empire."

And from Wikipedia (please forgive me, I'm rushed.):
    "Enormously influential in the civic construction of other American cities, its application of Beaux-Arts architecture served as the prototype for the Terminal Tower in Cleveland, the Fisher Building in Detroit, and the Wrigley Building in Chicago."
    and as discussed earlier in this thread all were inspired by la giralda in seville.

for example, the 1927 union terminal tower complex in the cleve is always described as being inspired by la giralda and the municipal building equally. that certainly seems fair and true.

btw didja know...the terminal tower was the second tallest building in the world when completed and remarkably was still the tallest building outside of nyc all the way until 1964!

also, like empire, it's observation deck was designed to serve as a blimp terminal (nearby akron is still the homebase of american blimpdom).

1917 rendering

1925 rendering

Quote Originally Posted by meesalikeu View Post
    btw didja know...the terminal tower was the second tallest building in the world when completed and remarkably was still the tallest building outside of nyc all the way until 1964!
    To put it more accurately, the Terminal Tower was the tallest building in the world outside New York. Chrysler and five or six other New York buildings were taller.

Goes to show: buildings of the height we today refer to as supertalls were a New York monopoly as late as Kennedy's assassination.

At that time, neither Chicago nor Hong Kong had a building taller than Cleveland's Terminal Tower. Then Boston built the Prudential Tower, and for a short while had the world's tallest building outside New York. The Prudential was a flat-top glass box. Modernism had arrived.

Can't believe I've never seen this before, great tower:

I think that that's a similar building in Cleveland.

New York's is far better.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast