Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GE Building, Rockefeller Center Models

Default GE Building, Rockefeller Center Models

Hey, Im Alex, I am currently modelling the whole of midtown New York using a 3d program called 3d studio max. I am making the model in full 3d with textures, The model will be accurate by using maps, floor plans, side elevations & pictures etc. The apperance would look like what you have seen for proposed building renderings.

I have started with the Rockefeller Center and current status can be seen in picture renderings below :

I need help with finding high quality pictures of the main GE Building, in particular at street level,lower floors from all 4 sides of the building & any pictures of the skyscraper in general (I already have a collection of images from search engines, skyscrapers.com etc)

I would really appreciate any help on this project.

If you cant help, please can you post some opinions of the work so far, keep in mind I am 17, live 3000miles away from NYC, and have never visited before, I am very interested in architecture and you have a great forum here!

Thankyou,

Alex
    Pixart 3D
    www.freewebs.com/pixart3d

Modeling all of Midtown Manhattan is a tall order. But you have done a fine job with Rock Center.

Once upon a time I was going to make a 3D Model of Downtown. :lol: But after WTC was complete and WFC was "topping out", the file become too huge to be managed by my system, so I had to stopp. Hope you've got a fast computer. Happy to see that I'm not the only one interested in modeling of NYC
    Renderings show you are succeeding. Good luck!

Shit that is one hell of a task.

an autocad 3d drawing of Manhattan must exist somewhere?? In Sydney (Oz) you need to submit a 1 to 100 model to the council when you submit plans. They have a huge model of the city open to the public. I think you also need to submit a 3d computer model. That's the way to do it.
    Isn't the military making a 3d model of the world? I hear that they've already got an accurate one of Kuwait.

Tom
    www.nyc-architecture.com

Member, Just Rich, has already made a 3-D map of Manhattan, the building envelopes are exacting.

While I can't find the map itself here's some side projects:

http://forums.wirednewyork.com/viewt...ighlight=#7196

http://forums.wirednewyork.com/viewt...ighlight=#7152

You'll definetly want to get in touch with him, send him an Im, he's always ready to assist.

Thanks for all the replys,

yepole - Good to hear someone else who has tried this project, do you have any pictures of what you did ? Im interested.

Stern - Nice link, and I will make sure to contact Just Rich.

The project might take a while, ok maybe a year, but it will be worth it.

Once its complete, how much do you think it would be worth if it is all at the same standard as the pictures I showed, I have heard companies pay a large amount of money for these models, you can see a model of NYC used in the One Bryant Park (Bank of America) video :
    http://forums.wirednewyork.com/viewt...&start=675

For now I need research photos, would anyone be able to take any photos from street level for me, as I know you go out to construction sites to keep records of building construction.

Thankyou for your time,

Alex
    Pixart 3D.

There used to be Java3D Applets, so you was actually able to walk/ fly through it, but I didn't update them for a long time and now they are, well, not available. Additionally my 3DMax is not working now, so what I've found are just a few intermediate renderings, quite far from where I've finished.

Thanks yepole, thats the exact same scene I made when I started, p.s I like the new site.

When Midtown is complete who do you think would be interested in purchasing it ? and for how much ? I wouldnt know, maybe a department of the Mayors Office or New York Real Estate ?

Here is what it looks like so far :

Im currently working on the front, and I really need pictures of the back, can anyone please help me out?

Thanks,
    Alex.

Thanks Tom,

Does anyone have pictures of the very top of the building, you can see from my progress pic above that it doesnt have the top windows.

From Sixth Avenue Entrance

Main Entrance on Plaza

Radio City Music Hall
    Last edited by Edward; January 14th, 2006 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Stale Link

those are some great pictures ! Thanks very much

Heres a long link to a model :

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...lr%3D%26sa%3DN

not that accurate to detail but its ok.

Can anyone get me any pictures of the top of the rockefeller GE Building?
    Thanks.

Pixart

I loaded a whole bunch o' images here:

http://homepage.mac.com/rigrij/RichV...Sharing37.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast