Thread: 551 West 21st Street - residential/commercial

Thumbs up 551 West 21st Street - residential/commercial

551 West 21st Street - Residential/Commercial

http://551w21.com

This one is now above ground and rising fast: the website (and building itself) are both ‘high design’ eye candy. Enjoy……..

How to live like a Bond supervillian 101. I LOVE GOLD.

Last edited by infoshare; March 4th, 2014 at 06:44 PM.

They have been pumping concrete here lately. I have noticed something different with the concrete form work: they use metal pole jacks, and metal beams, to support the wood boards that hold the concrete. The precast concrete work here seems to be 'state of the art' : or, I just haven't noticed this type of precast concrete method. Mostly is see only wood 2X4 supports, with metal 'tire jack' thinks to raise them up to level the plywood platforms for the concrete a rebar.

This is a good site for curbside observation because one can stand across the road for a wide view of the construction activities.

Good bones: and nearing completion of the super structure. Looking forward to seeing how the curtain wall (skin) turns out; all indicators so far tell me this will be a ‘quality’ facade. I get a real kick out of this 'sales pitch' promo blurb written on the projects' website. "
    AS SHARP AND CRISP AND AS SUBTLE, LUMINOUS AND DRAMATIC AS A PERFECTLY CUT GEMSTONE. PERFECTLY CONCEIVED AND CRAFTED. NOT FOR FLASH OR SPARKLE, FOR GENUINE RADIANCE, DEPTH AND DISTINCTION. "

In my best LUIS voice from the 'million dollar listing' show - I looove it.....

Last edited by infoshare; May 18th, 2014 at 04:39 PM.

©tectonic

Big reveal here: facade panels are now being attached to the reinforced concrete superstructure - milestone. When it comes to my general dissatisfaction with all those raw concrete facades we see around town, this is what I am talking about - cover that raw concrete with a ‘quality’ surface treatment. In this case they have put some type of prefabricated stone finish: what ever it is, it is thick, solid, and with a very nice looking color and surface texture. This is a first rate facade treatment - great to see.

Another post on this project as the new prefabricated stone panels are being mounted onto the buildings' facade. Full disclosure; I am not getting paid to publicly promote the in Condo, buy Triton Construction, the Developer or affiliated sales brokerage firms or any other financially interested party. I just like what I see with the quality of the design & construction of the new building. That being said; I may be a good idea to put a call in to the above mentioned parties and ask why it may be worth to give this project a little publicity ‘BUZZ” - I might just get that ‘commission’ after all…..HeHe

On a more serious note: this building is looking fantastic. Down with raw unfinished reinforced concrete facades; up with lovely looking buildings like 551W.

Setting the stone, setting it straight: making this facade look great…..