Thread: Know anyone doing amazing/unusual things in NY?

Default Know anyone doing amazing/unusual things in NY?

Hi, this is in relation to my previous post:
    http://forums.wirednewyork.com/viewtopic.php?p=43974
    (Many thanks to people who responded!)

Can you guys think of anyone doing amazing and/or
    unusual things in Manhattan?

"Things" meaning unusual jobs, activities, hobbies, etc...

I'm looking for all kinds of people, from the Naked Cowboy to
    the guy who cleans the windows on the top of the Chrysler
    Building with nothing but a lifeline, and everyone between.

So basically, I'm looking for people who, if a non-New Yorker
    sees them on a street, would make them go, "OMG What is
    he/she doing?"

I would truly appreciate it if anyone can give me suggestions.

A guy from Union Square - he might be extravagantly dressed - but what is he doing is a no brainer - he was reading New York Times and now he is doing a Voodoo dance.

Would Lenin meeting with workers in Soviet Union Square qualify as something unusual or it's pretty much a regular affair?

Joey Joey also swallows swords.

Forum Veteran

I've seen those voodoo guys around. I pride myself on never staring at them. Maybe catching a quick glance, but NEVER staring. :P

Banned Member

The "Talk to Me" people. I'm pretty sure they started in Park Slope, Brooklyn, but I've seen them in the Times Square Subway Station and other parts of town. They set up a table with a sign stating "Talk to Me". They simply engage people in conversation.

Do you ever actually see anyone speaking with them?

Quote Originally Posted by Edward
    A guy from Union Square - he might be extravagantly dressed - but what is he doing is a no brainer - he was reading New York Times and now he is doing a Voodoo dance.
    Huh. I'm not sure if he's "amazing"... I mean, he just wanders around, doing a Voodoo dance once in a while, right? But then again, I suggested the Naked Cowboy, who, I guess isn't that much different from this guy. You know, except this guy's pretty much covered up from head to toe, and the Naked Cowboy is... just not. Thanks for your suggestion, though! I can keep this as a back-up.:wink:

Would Lenin meeting with workers in Soviet Union Square qualify as something unusual or it's pretty much a regular affair?
    That's, um... definitely something. Yeah. :shock:

Joey Joey also swallows swords.
    This is fun, but I don't think it would count as "unusual". You know, someone who does something that makes you go: "Only in New York!" Personally? I'm very much amused by these people. TV production wise? Wouldn't work, unless they do some *really* original tricks. Not that I don't appreciate your suggestions, because I really, really do. BTW, did you take all these pictures yourself? You must see these types of people around a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by TLOZ Link5
    I've seen those voodoo guys around. I pride myself on never staring at them. Maybe catching a quick glance, but NEVER staring. :P
    Oh, I *never* stare either. I'm so scared that if we make eye contact, they will start talking to me or ask me for something, and I'm really weak and pathetic that I wouldn't be able to refuse, even if I don't want to.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    The "Talk to Me" people. I'm pretty sure they started in Park Slope, Brooklyn, but I've seen them in the Times Square Subway Station and other parts of town. They set up a table with a sign stating "Talk to Me". They simply engage people in conversation.
    Yeah? I go through the Times Square Subway Station daily, but I haven't noticed... I've seen a lot of the "measure your stress" (or something like that) people around but not those people. I'll try finding them and see what they're like. Thanks, BrooklynRider!