Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: Washington Square Park

Guys. Forgive me but I really didn't have the time to read through 11 pages, so can someone just tell me what they're doing to my beloved Washington Sq. Park? Oh my God.

Turning it into "Ye Olde Washington Square Parke"

Start reading HERE (3 pages back).

You will find everything you don't want to know.

Here's how she looks this week ...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WSP ReHab_02g.jpg 
Views:	221 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	5483   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WSP ReHab_02i.jpg 
Views:	216 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	5484   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WSP ReHab_02j.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	5485  

In fairness, construction isn't usually pretty.

We'll see how it turns out.

The Villager

Jan. 9 - 15, 2008

Final fountain info a no-flow

By Lincoln Anderson

On Tuesday evening, Councilmember Alan Gerson said he still did not have a final answer on whether the cost of moving the Washington Square fountain 20 feet to the east would be excessive or justified. He said he would have an answer on Wednesday.

Gerson said his office met with two architects from the A.I.A. center on LaGuardia Pl. who are “totally uninvolved” with the park renovation project to get their assessments. Gerson said the two experts have questions for the Parks Department concerning the fountain’s so-called ring foundation.

“That’s the crux of the disagreement,” Gerson said, referring to the ring foundation under the fountain, “and whether the Parks Department is right in saying that the plumbing work that everyone agrees needs to be done” would actually cost more if the fountain is left in place. If the substructure is in good enough shape and the new plumbing could be installed without too much cost, then, Gerson said — reiterating his warning of last week — he would be compelled to take “further action” against the renovation project.

You better hurry up and move oon that "further action", Mr. Gerson ... the crews are getting ready to rip up the fountain's existing "ring foundation" any day now. After that any discussion of cost will be moot as the existing foundation will no longer exist.

Could it be that the needed construction information is being withheld from Councilmember Gerson in order to hamper any investigation until it is too late to do anyting about it?

Fountain challenge doesn’t hold water

By Albert Amateau

City Councilmember Alan Gerson on Tuesday issued a finding that the Parks Department has essentially told the truth that the cost of the proposed moving of the Washington Square Park fountain would not significantly exceed the cost of repairing the fountain in place.

The one uncertainty, according to Gerson’s finding, is whether relocating the fountain would interfere with water mains and force the city to spend considerable money to reinforce or relocate the mains.

Gerson said he put that question to the city Department of Environmental Protection and the agency has not yet come up with an answer.

The Parks Department has said that if left in place the ring foundation underneath the fountain would require an expense for reinforcement or replacement about equal to the expense of moving the fountain.

Gerson said that he consulted with the American Institute of Architects and its executive director Ric Bell about reasonable engineering practices regarding the fountain issue and came to the conclusion that the ring foundation would sooner or later need reinforcement or replacement.

Gerson and City Council Speaker Christine Quinn had made an agreement with Parks Commissioner Adrian Benepe in 2005 regarding the fountain issue, and the finding issued on Tuesday was to determine if the department complied with the agreement.

But Jonathan Greenberg, a plaintiff in a lawsuit that would have required the city to conduct a more extensive environmental impact statement on the park plan, rather than the environmental assessment statement that the city did conduct, called Gerson’s findings a “whitewash.”

Greenberg and other opponents to the park renovation plan contend that moving the fountain about 22 feet to the east as called for in the plan would cost $500,000 more than leaving the fountain in place.

Greenberg dismissed the A.I.A. consultation as not qualified and biased in favor of the park renovation plan. He noted that he had presented a report by Building Conservation Associates stating that moving the fountain would cost over $500,000 more than leaving it in place.

The B.C.A. report found that the ring foundation under the fountain could last for years with minor adjustments at minimal cost. But Parks rejected the B.C.A. report.

Greenberg noted that the Parks Department had engaged Jabonski Building Conservation to draw up plans for repairing the fountain but had never consulted Jabonski about the cost of moving the fountain. Greenberg has demanded the hiring of a “bona fide professional expert or even Jabonski” to assess the B.C.A. report.

The Villager is published by Community Media LLC.

And thus ^ a public official secures his future employment

Well he can't stay in the City Council. He has to find something do. Otherwise he might have to really work.

Default Washington Square Park NYC - Farbeon - Same Ol' Paradigm

Sadder than sad. After seeing that park designer, I know Washington Square will not recover.

It'll never be the same.

^ Then again, it didn't score the top spot with WNY forumers: http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...t=10703&page=3

Default Watch this

Default Full 60 minute documentary about this issue

Sigh. This stuff is just really, really sad. Why not keep things the way they are and do other things to "fix" the problems (pave the sidewalk, re-tar, fix up the dog run)? I personally have always loved Washington Square Park during the summer and think the circular layout is really conducive to good social vibes.. but that's just me. I've also always loved the mild edge of danger and irreverence it has had, but that could also just be me. Where else could you see homeless men, transvestites, and Rastafarians all getting along and making beautiful music together?

I am so, so, so glad I didn't go to NYU.

Hold on all there doing is moving the fountain a little? Theres no need to do it but how is it going to be so different than before, what other changes are they making?