Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Washington Square Park

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime
    There is another thread about Washington Square Park Renovations on WiredNewYork here:

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...on+Square+Park

Lets keep it on the same page my friends... So we can keep up with the old to the most recent stories.
    You're right - I split these last few entries from the Washington Square Arch thread and merged them with this more appropriate thread, thanks.

The Villager
    December 14 - 20, 2005

Arch would become giant harp in public-art project

By Albert Amateau

A rendering of the proposed “City Harp” temporary public-art installation.

Imagine the Washington Square Arch transformed into a 60-foot-tall harp whose strings vibrate with the wind, pick up ambient sound and radio and television waves, all combining in a strange but harmonic music controlled at a console at the base of the arch.

The proposal for “City Harp,” invented and played by Christopher Janney, who makes public music with public architecture, would be seen and heard for 10 days in October 2006, if it wins community and city approval.

Janney, who lives in the Boston area, and Aviva Davidson, executive director of Dancing in the Streets, the public-arts organization sponsoring the installation, came to the Dec. 6 Community Board 2 Parks Committee meeting to make a preliminary pitch.

“It’s based on the Aeolian harp, an ancient instrument played by the wind. And we hope to have its world premiere the first 10 days in October,” said Davidson. “We’ve been talking to the Department of Parks and Recreation and we’ve been told that it would not damage the arch. We hope to get their approval and come back to you for your blessings,” she told the committee.

Intrigued but wary, committee members pressed for details. Honi Klein, a public member of the committee, urged that residents of the Fifth Ave. buildings north of the arch be notified. Rosemary McGrath, a longtime board member, said she feared for the structural integrity of the 110-year-old marble monument.

Davidson replied that notices would go out this week to neighbors of the arch. Janney, trained in architecture at Princeton and in environmental arts at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, said the installation would have as little contact as possible with the 110-year-old monument.

The harp’s 16 red elastic strings, some an inch in diameter, would be anchored in a vessel of water resting on the roof and would hang down the park side of the arch without touching the parapet, Davidson told the committee. The strings would taper to the console on the ground in the center under the arch.

A Department of Parks spokesperson confirmed that Janney and Davidson have presented the project to the department’s technical staff but no decision has been made yet.

The strings would vibrate with the wind all the time but the volume of the sound would be controlled at the console and could be made inaudible, Janney said.

The basic plan, subject to community board and neighborhood approval calls for the sound of the harp to be audible — primarily inside the park — from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. with Janney or an associate at the console mixing sound and controlling volume.

As part of the installation, “Playing With the City,” a series of 10 musical pieces, composed by Janney and based on jazz progressions and Indian ragas — melodies traditionally played at different times of day — would be performed by musicians on tabla, saxophone and string bass.

During the 10-day installation, the musicians, accompanied by Janney at the “City Harp” console, would play one of the appropriate 10 pieces, beginning the first day in the morning and progressing each day to a later time, going from morning on to noon, afternoon and evening.

“It could be the whole program or any part of it, or nothing,” said Davidson. “It’ll depend on what the community wants.”

Janney, who created a multimedia studio, PhenomenArts, Inc., in 1980, has toured the U.S. and Europe with interactive sound/ architecture installations from The Spanish Steps in Rome to the subways in Boston and Paris. He is a visiting professor at The Cooper Union. In 1983, he created “Heartbeat” for Sara Rudner of Twyla Tharp Dance, with an instrument that amplified Rudner’s heartbeat as she moved. Mikail Barishnikov premiered “Heartbeat:mb” at City Center in 1999 and has since performed it around the world.

Community Media LLC.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

WASHINGTON SQ. PARK DESIGN APPROVED

The City Art Commission approved plans yesterday for a $16 million redesign of Washington Square Park, in which a perimeter fence would be installed and the park's fountain moved. The approval was the final legislative step needed, and construction could start as early as the spring, although some residents have vowed to sue. The plan includes shifting the fountain 22 feet to the east to place it in line with the Washington Arch and Fifth Avenue, and erecting a fence around the park about four feet high. The fence is intended to limit access by dogs and help maintain the park's midnight-to-6 a.m. curfew.TIMOTHY WILLIAMS (NYT)

Published: January 10, 2006
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/10/nyregion/10mbrfs.html

Banned Member

That park needs an upgrade. Looks like the mounds are history. I wonder if they squeezed NYU for any renovation or on-going maintenance funding.

I think the Mounds People are going to sue.

Default Now I see it, in hi-res

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    That park needs an upgrade.
    Amen to that.

I was wondering - after all the revisions - what would materialize. I like what I see: only if the road there was a little less "bumpy". (LOL) Or - should I say "moundy".

BTW - enjoyed viewing the park plan/renderings - thanks for the High-res images!

cheers

(update) It had just come to mind - the current park dogrun has been "appropriated" by a small group of individuals whow started a "community garden" adjacent to (and inside) the dog run - I never liked that, because it began to feel as if I were going into someones "private" backyard - particularly when they were there. I hope the new design doen not permit "privite clubs" to appropriate "public space" and in-effect - take possession of it. (RANT-O-METER on)
    Last edited by infoshare; January 12th, 2006 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    I wonder if they squeezed NYU for any renovation or on-going maintenance funding.
    More than squeezed, NYU is practically buying the park for its own use.

They need more paved, unobstructed, contiguous space for their graduation commencement ceremonies. The new plan has just that, plus eliminating the seating around the fountain, reaplacing old trees with new, and flattening the plaza.

The fence is really so NYU can close the park for events.

Oh and, rename the fountain "The Tisch Fountain".

I remember the old days when Washington Square was an incredible place to hang out. Musicians were everywhere, strumming guitars and singing, people sitting in the recessed area around the "fountain" where people performed, a joint or two being blazed up somewhere ( yeah so what!).
    Plenty of you will disagree, but I liked it in all it's pre-sanitized, urban grit glory. It was special. At the same time that I become excited about all the beautiful new changes the city is undergoing, I can't help but be sad for some of what we lose. Again, I know that I may be assailed for this opinion, but it is mine to express. I don't like Washington Square becoming like some park in Singapore. I'm sure it will be very "pretty" though. And I despise NYU more and more for it's gradual destruction of the Village, turning it more and more into a giant campus everytime it puts up another ugly dorm. Blahhhh.

Forum Veteran

Heh, I go to NYU and I can't help but agree with you.

Of course, I'm a commuter now, so...

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy
    I remember the old days when Washington Square was an incredible place to hang out. ...Plenty of you will disagree, but I liked it in all it's pre-sanitized, urban grit glory. It was special....
    I share your nostalgia, but your whole post was written in the past tense, and that's the problem. The "old" city has changed and the rules have changed and society has changed. The things that made the old gritty park exciting had more to do with culture than the flower beds.

I don't disagree with your assessment of the changes that have taken place. In fact, the first half of my post was illustrative of some of them so I'm not clear on what you mean by saying my post has a problem.

It's not what it used to be, but on any given night you can still find, like you said, musicians strumming guitars and singing, people sitting in the recessed area around the "fountain" where people perform, a joint or two being blazed up somewhere...

The park still has a vibe like no other, and it seems that they are trying their best to sterilize it.

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy
    ... I'm not clear on what you mean by saying my post has a problem.
    Sorry, I should clarify. You post was written in the past tense illustrating the fact that those "better days" are beyond us. I meant the loss of that laid back, perhaps more permissive atmosphere, was the problem - not your post (and not the renovation.)

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast