Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Washington Square Park

Forum Veteran

And of course, jumping into the fountain is a tradition at NYU's commencement ceremony.

hell its a normal weekend tradition for me during the summer. The no play fountain needs to be more public so that people will protest. so many people would fight back if they only knew about it

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy
    It's so true about the plateau aspect. I was looking at old pictures of the downtown skyline from the harbor , and all of the peaks jutting out really were majestic. . .
    Check out this shot of Washington Square circa 1953 with the downtown skyline ... sublime !!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Washington Square 1953.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	1626  

What an awesome photo, Lofter1, thanks for posting.

The romantic in me believes that the late 40's / early 50s would have been the prime time to be in NYC ...

Note: The empty lot just above the Square is now the site of the new(ish) NYU Student Center (left side of that block) and the Catholic Center (right side of the block). Plans have recently been disclosed to tear down the Catholic Center and possibly erect a new dorm for NYU ... rising to nearly the same height as the Student Center

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    Plans have recently been disclosed to tear down the Catholic Center and possibly erect a new dorm for NYU.
    They better not do that. Quick: somebody call the Landmarks Commission! Oh...they're all asleep or on the take.

Or are they just driveling idiots?

Outcome's the same, no matter which.

Probably on the take. Corrupt scum.

Thumbs down

Suit Seeks Halt in Wash. Square Revamp

By Jarrett Murphy | May 04, 2006

Opponents of the city's plans for a large-scale renovation of Washington Square Park think they have a shot at killing it off, thanks to what they allege were misrepresentations by the Parks Department when it got approval for the plan. A lawsuit filed this week seeks to block construction and force the department to get another round of approvals from the local community board and two city commissions. Renovation opponents believe that, this time, those bodies would vote down the city's plan.

The $16 million renovation job, which was supposed to shut the park in phases for two or three years, has been controversial from the get-go. The plan's supporters say that the reconstruction of the main fountain, the playgrounds, and the walkways are what the beat-up park needs to remain a Greenwich Village gem. Their foes agree the park needs some fixing, but believe that what the Parks Department proposes is a wholesale revision that will straitjacket and sterilize the famously uninhibited, unstructured public space.

The renovation opponents allege in their suit that the Parks Department "deliberately withheld material and made material misrepresentations" to the community board, Landmarks Preservation Commission, Art Commission. The suit accuses the city of failing to disclose that the size of the central plaza will decrease by 33 percent, and that the fountain will feature a plume of water 45-feet high (making it impossible to sit next to, sans wetsuit). By hiding these details, the suit argues, the city prevented the oversight bodies from doing their jobs and may have violated the city charter and administrative code. One of the plaintiffs, Jonathan Greenberg, called the Parks Department moves "a classic bait and switch operation."

The plan's backers dispute that claim. "They have been informed, and informed, and informed," says Anne-Marie Sumner, president of the Washington Square Association. "I would not buy into the idea that the Parks Department has deliberately misrepresented. That would not be possible, in my mind."

The Parks Department doesn't comment on litigation, but a spokesperson says the size of the central plaza is still in flux. Parks has claimed that the fountain's height can be adjusted to accommodate different kinds of activities.

The lawsuit asks the judge to send the city's more detailed plan back to the community board and the two commissions. Renovation opponents believe that given the changes to the project—and in the membership of some of those bodies—they can knock the plan off in a second round. A survey released late last year by the Project for Public Space found that in Washington Square Park, "While people see the need for upgrades of certain current facilities and amenities (pavement, bathrooms, etc.), they like the park the way it is."

The city has already agreed to hold off on any work in the park until a court hearing on May 18; no contractor has been selected, anyway.

Copyright © 2006 Village Voice Media, Inc.

Maybe they could just freshen it up a bit. Oh, and get the fountain working. Not sure it really needs a makeover.

Banned Member

It is a pretty big omission to not disclose that the central area is going to be 33% smaller. Washington Square is one of the most highly utilized parks an it is also the nexus of neighborhoods and avenues. A major cross roads.

33% is an outrage. I hope this plan is KILLED. Stabbed to death. I hate the plan.
    Just fix up a few things! No need to mess with a public space that obviously WORKS the way it is. NYU and their evil machinations to co-opt the public park makes me so angry I could spit.

"straightjacket and sterilize" is exactly what they intend, and I hope they are never allowed to do so. Enough is enough.Not one shred of the Village's character will be intact when they're finished.
    Last edited by MidtownGuy; May 7th, 2006 at 01:55 PM.

NYU is a festering cancer.

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy
    33% is an outrage. I hope this plan is KILLED. Stabbed to death. I hate the plan...
    Well, you gave me my first out loud laugh today.

WSP is great! The only thing about it I did not appreciate during my recent visit were the pushy dope merchants. Undortunately I could not spot a cruiser to point the MFs out to and there were way too many for me to collar single-handed.

I think re-aligning the fountain is a fine, civic sort of thing to do, but for the rest it seems fine as it is.

(edited for typos)
    Last edited by Luca; May 11th, 2006 at 03:21 AM.

Banned Member

The dealers in the park are part of its legacy. It was more appealing when they offered loose jonts in Sucrets boxes.

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast