Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: 150 Amsterdam Avenue - 42-story residential tower - by Handel Architects

I almost fell asleep posting this..

Curbed

Curbed

Curbed

In the first photo, the brick tower in the background with all the balconies is one of 16 buildings where DOB has ordered no one to use the balconies due to possible hazards.

I think that this is a decent tower. It's better than Macklowe's box on ultra-prime Madison and Perkman Eastman's monstrosity on 6th that has some of the most absurd glass I've ever seen.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

I agree, it's not horrible but it hurts knowing what we could of had instead (Portzamparc).

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    I agree, it's not horrible but it hurts knowing what we could of had instead (Portzamparc).
    That's true.

Forum Veteran

The glass looks very attractive in Derek's photos - at least before the tenants move in. We'll see if blinds and such hurt the effect.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    In a city as liberal as New York, no one would ever dream of pushing people out of housing projects to make way for upper class people. Personally, I disagree with the notion that poor people have a right to live in Manhattan. I'd like to have a winter house in Palm Beach, but as I don't have a spare $10m, I accept that I won't have that luxury. Living in Manhattan is a luxury -- not a right.
    I just happened upon your comment about the poor not having the right to live in Manhattan. In principle, I agree with you. I believe that everyone should have access to good, safe housing, at affordable prices; but you are right, those who do not have seven million $ to buy a mansion should not aspire to live in one.
    My concern about your comment came about because it is a fact, not hearsay, that there are numerous millionaires living in rent-controlled NY penthouses paying a few hundred dollars per month. One such couple actually took the landlord to court because he "dared" raise the rent to $1,100 per month - in a town where the aforementioned poor pay twice that amount for a dilapidated small apartment. One half of that couple is a very famous singer by the way, and she no doubt earns millions per year, and her husband is a prominent professional. Many these people take advantage of technicalities or illegally sub-let from people actually entitled to live there.

Don't you think that this is a shameful situation?

One such instance amongst hundreds of thousands. Why are you pussy-footing around with you accusations? Just come out and name the violator and do the world a favor (unless you're concerned about a libel suit).

Your analogy equates Manhattan with a Mansion. Fortunately Manhattan is not a singular building but a part of the City of New York, owned by no one and -- because some of our lawmakers had some foresight -- still available to folks of all sorts as a place to live.

^Whole Foods?

Whenever I see the Park Millennium tower I cringe. What a slab of crap. Those Millennium Partners really did a lot to make Lincoln Square a crummy place. Nice movie theater though.

IMO, it's barely noticeable in its offensiveness. Truly fulsome are pretty much everything around the building in question (150 Amsterdam) -- the massive old commie blocks behind it, the awful towers around Fordham's super block, the Brutalist 1970s monstrosities on the massive pediments across Broadway from Lincoln Center, etc.

The more recent buildings, including 150 Amsterdam and Park Millennium, are a big upgrade over the postwar high-rises built around Lincoln Square pre-1990.

Holy crap 4yr old thread with no construction photos. Here's a finished shot. I'll add some U/C photos I took years ago in the coming days...

Sorry if there's already a thread for this, although I couldn't find one anywhere. This building is snappy if completely out of place among the drab brick of everything within blocks of it. I guess it was completed and started renting a year and a half ago. Seems to have filled up reasonably well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tectonic View Post
    ^Whole Foods?
    Theres one nearby at Time Warner Center.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast