Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 1600 Broadway (Studebaker Building) - by Einhorn Yaffee Prescott with SLCE Architects

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    If the apartments near the sign are renting for under $1000/month or selling for under $150K - call me, I'll live next to the sign.
    If so and you want to live next to the sign (it will be an advertising billboard or it may even become an advertising neon), I'm sure a lot of the views around the area will either be fully blocked out or even partially so.

Anyway, If you decide to either rent or buy, I'll give you a call LOL

Any guesses what a one bedroom with go for in a building in this kind of location (price/sq ft)?? Trying to figure if I should hold off my appt at 325 5th for this wild n crazy location.

Isn´t it odd that their web-site opens with a view through trees and an uninterupted clear blue sky. It has a nothing to do with Times Square.

With some creativity and taste, the Studebaker building could a have made a beautiful base... it could have been incorporated into a new building... as was done with the Hearst building or the group of buildings on 5th between 55th and 56th.

It was a rich dignified building. Up until the early 80´s it had a wide copper-clad cornice at the top that was particularly beautiful. It was striped off with little protest. So much for culture.

Forum Veteran

Stupid project, destryoed a vaible building

Forum Veteran

5/29/05

It may not have been in the greatest shape in the world, but that doesn't change the historic impact of the building. If it had just been an ordinary old building that was demolished, I would feel bad, but would get over it eventually. What ticks me off is that the Studebaker Building holds a significant place in the hearts of jazz buffs like myself. Bix Beiderbecke played there with two different bands. (The Wolverines, in 1924 at the Cinderella Ballroom, and with Adrian Rollini's band at the Club New Yorker in 1927. The last band contained a number of notabled jazz musicians.) The Paul Whiteman Club was there too! I'm sure cartoon fans are also mourning the loss of the building, given the whole Fleisher Studios connection.

It's just such a shame. Couldn't they have found some other building to raze? One that didn't have nearly as many sentimental connections? I was in New York City last August. I was thrilled to see the building, and took a couple photographs of it. (I photographed the Brill Building too, just across from it. Of course, that one's still standing!) At the time, it never even occured to me that it would be gone before I ever got to return to Times Square. I wish I had taken more photos while I was there, because I had no idea that it would be gone in a couple of months...

Just my 2 cents.

Addendum:

The building as it looked in its heyday on a postcard.
    http://bixography.com/images2/1600broadwayold.jpg
    Last edited by Capt.Spaulding; May 30th, 2005 at 12:28 AM. Reason: adding a photo

If it were being replaced by something of architectural merit... on the level of a NYT building or Hearst building... well then fine.... but just another trendy ticky-tack apartment building is a shame for such an important spot.

*ftppppppph!* to you as well.

sorry about the horrible comments but im having a bad day.

Default 1600 Broadway

1600 Broadway
    1596-1602 Broadway/201 West 48th Street/722-730 Seventh Avenue
    25 stories 290 feet (DOB)
    Einhorn Yaffee Prescott Achitecture & Engineering/SLCE Architects
    Dev-Sherwood Equities (Sherwood 1600 Associates)
    Residential Condominiums
    136 units 194,766 Sq. Ft.
    Under Construction 2005-2006

http://www.1600broadway.com/

The Real Deal
    December 2004
    Apartments to light up Times Square
    Planned 25-story Sherwood tower first of high-end developments in area
    By Alison Gregor

http://therealdeal.net/issues/Decemb...1102206004.php

The renewed residential development that has perked up the Midtown stretch of Eighth Avenue over the last several years may soon be wheeling east to march toward the heart of Times Square.

Sherwood Equities recently filed plans with the city Buildings Department to construct a 25-story, 136-unit apartment tower at 1600 Broadway, just north of Times Square’s world-renowned bow tie intersection.

That’s in the opposite direction of the residential development that traveled along 48th Street into Hell’s Kitchen, reviving the once hard-luck neighborhood. Brokers now sell it as Midtown West or Clinton, and the area from Eighth Avenue to the Hudson River is now a hot destination for 25- to 35-year-old renters.

About 6,500 new apartments have been built in the Times Square and Midtown West/Clinton neighborhoods since 2000, according to Times Square Alliance president Tim Tompkins.

"High-end residential has been essentially sort of creeping down Eighth Avenue," he said.

Carol Allen, a broker with Turfnyc LLC, said new residential towers, such as The Biltmore at 271 West 47th Street, have far more amenities than those of previous decades, including private residence clubs, lounges with fireplaces, screening rooms, billiard rooms, on-site parking and sun terraces, among other perks.

This is creating a sense of community that is luring young, single renters willing to consider prices such as $4,295 a month for a furnished 1,000-square-foot two-bedroom apartment, she said. Renters are often offered deals like one month rent-free, or building owners will pay the broker’s commission, rather than the tenant footing the bill.

The neighborhood upgrade includes a 42-story apartment tower being developed by Elad Properties, located just west of Eighth Avenue at 310 West 52nd Street.

Recently proposed residential development in Times Square may be part of the trend to serve more young renters, especially during a time when the office space market is still somewhat soft.

But it may also be geared toward another burgeoning market: clients seeking short-term furnished rental spaces as an alternative to hotels, or condominiums to serve as family pieds-à-terre.

"There has been a lot of new development there, mostly rental housing until recently," said Bellmarc Realty principal Neil Binder. "Now the big thing that’s going on is the concept of suites."

Binder believes that much of the residential space in the Times Square area, which is bounded by Sixth Avenue and Eighth Avenue from 40th Street to 53rd Street, will provide condos to investors or companies that deal with short- and long-term furnished apartment rentals.

"The area has a very high demand for hotels, and there are five or six hotels in the immediate proximity [of the bow tie], but they’re all oriented toward the conventional form of hotel rooms," Binder said. "There are very few around that are oriented toward renting a condominium for a short duration of time."

He said these types of hotel alternatives might garner $1,000 to $2,000 a night. Another option for developers is to produce condominiums to serve as pieds-à-terre for suburbanites or Europeans. One emerging trend is multiple generations of a suburban family getting a Manhattan apartment as an urban getaway.

Many agents are foregoing finicky co-op boards and directing these clients toward condominiums. But this is difficult with 85 percent of Manhattan residential real estate comprising co-ops.

"There is a huge market for [pieds-à-terre] in the heart of the city and even the Times Square area, now that Times Square is considered a vibrant center of the city more than ever," Binder said.

It’s a departure from the area’s recent past, when Times Square meant a collection of rickety tenements, parking garages and lurid peep shows. City initiatives, the economic boom of the 1990s and increased national corporate interest have transformed the area into a shopping and tourist destination with attractions that are all legal and aboveboard. Brokers hope this will make it a residential draw as well.

Worldwide Plaza, on Ninth Avenue between 49th and 50th Streets, is an example of this hybrid between investment properties and pieds-à-terre, Binder said.

But that vision may not yet have captured developers’ imaginations. Jeffrey Katz, the chief executive of Sherwood, said he believes the primary demographic for the Times Square area is still the 25- to 35-year-old renter.

"In my opinion, I think that’s who’s there now, I think that’s who’s been coming, and I think that’s who will continue to come," he said.

Since the six blocks surrounding the Times Square bow tie feature perhaps the world’s highest concentration of corporate headquarters, office workers may mean further potential for more renters.

"It’s all new, without housing options or with very few housing options," Katz said.

He believes the short-term rental and pied-à-terre market is a third and lesser component of the Times Square residential real estate market, as does Miki Naftali of Elad Properties.

Naftali said he has no intention of marketing his 42-story apartment tower primarily to investors.

"We are really marketing to the end user," he said. "All of them live happily in our projects."

Naftali said he believes that people seeking short-term rentals or pieds-à-terre account for only 10 to 15 percent of the market, and thinks of Times Square as a place for the long haul.

"It’s a really good place to live," Allen said. "It’s unbelievably convenient, and I think it will become very popular."

The Real Deal

Construction pictures from the 1600 Broadway website:

http://www.1600broadway.com/

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...te=ny&zipcode=
    Map

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=234688
    Skyscrapers.com

http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=144927
    NY Post
    LUXE APTS. ARE B'WAY BOUND
    By STEVE CUOZZO
    October 19, 2004
    Last edited by Derek2k3; June 1st, 2005 at 12:43 AM.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

It was a rich dignified building. Up until the early 80´s it had a wide copper-clad cornice at the top that was particularly beautiful. It was striped off with little protest. So much for culture.
    These NY NIMBY'S, go figure. They'll fight tooth and nail to stop beautiful and worthwhile projects but when you actually want them to fight for this building, they're no where to be found. What the ... ?

Default What a shame.

It looks like it was designed to match the Biltmore Apartments a block away. That should be no surprise as they were both designed by Schuman, Lichtenstein, Claman & Efron.

...one more ugly boring residential building. Too bad.

Banned Member

Ugly is as ugly does. <dry heave>

I like this building.

NYPOST:

LULLA-BUY OF B'WAY

By LOIS WEISS

ATTENTION Broadway theater lovers and New Year's Eve revelers: You can soon own a piece of the Times Square Bow Tie — and it will come complete with bathroom, kitchen and bedroom, as well as a private balcony on which to ring in many years to come,

The project was first reported by Post colleague Steve Cuozzo back in October 2004, and now Times Square developer Jeffrey Katz of Sherwood Equities is building his new residential and retail tower: 1600 Broadway on the Square.

"It's a very exciting building," Katz said. "It will be unique, as there are few sites in the area."

The Great White Way project will have two floors of high-ceiling retail, topped by 24 floors containing 137 residential condo units. There will also be a "club" floor for amenities, inclding outdoor terraces, a health club and a roof deck.

Jorge Szendiuch of Einhorn Yafee Prescot is the design architect, while Peter Claman of Schuman Lichtenstein Claman Efron handled unit layouts.

"In New York, when you talk about a room with a view, no one ever thought about this," Katz noted. "The irony is that the lower you are, the better the view."

John Cetra of Cetra/Ruddy designed the interiors of the studios through three bedrooms and other elements. The Marketing Directors will open a sales office right after Labor Day. The firm's Jackie Urgo said the units will be priced around $1,000 a foot.

Because elaborate signage and a great mix of retailers give Times Square its street life, the building is also poised to take advantage of both.

"This is by far the most visible retail branding opportunity in all of Times Square," said Kim Mogull of Mogull Realty, who is representing the 30,000-foot retail space, which includes three signs and an outdoor terrace.

"We look at it that we're charging for the real estate and not the signage," added Mogull, who has already received offers in excess of $400 on the ground and $200 for the second floor with mezzanine.

Mogull is a big booster of the northern Bow Tie area and has just signed a sweet deal a block north.

Here, in an example of higher-end retailers discovering the area's corporate connections, Godiva leased 1,000 feet on the 50th Street corner of the new Lehman Bros. Building at 745 Seventh Ave. at western Rock Center.

Mogull represented Godiva while Newmark's Neil Goldmacher, Jeffrey Roseman and Ken HochHauser worked on the deal for Lehman.

Building looks a heck of alot better in grey / bluish-grey. In my opinion, the brown looks 70's and horrible. Totally doesnt fit Times Square modern.

Just imagine the hummmmmmmmming sound from all the electricity coursing through the signage! And right up against your bedroom wall!!

Heck, who wouldn't pay $1,000.00 / sq. ft. for that?

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast