Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: East River Science Park - First Avenue between E. 29th & E. 28th Streets -by Hillier

Forum Veteran

WNYC reported that this projected officially began today. I walked by the site and it is very busy, a lot of action going on. It's hard to see from the street but they are tearing down an older building in the middle of the site.

Forum Veteran

Bloomberg and Silver Say Biotechnology Center Will Become an Economic Boon

By Staff Reporter of the Sun
    October 16, 2007

A highly anticipated $700 million biotechnology center is beginning to take shape along the East River. The project, which is being developed on city-owned land, will include 1.1 million square feet of commercial space and research labs when complete. At a groundbreaking yesterday, Mayor Bloomberg and the speaker of the state Assembly, Sheldon Silver, said the project will be a major economic boon because it will help establish New York, which already has a wealth of medical talent, as a bioscience hub.

In addition to $700 million that Alexandria Real Estate Equities is committing, the project will get $13.4 million in city capital money, $23 million from the state Assembly, $4 million from the governor's office, $2 million in federal funds, and about $16 million from several other sources. The first phase is scheduled for completion in 2009.

Default they should build something like this in Seward Park

You know the parking garage in the LES on Delacey?

I think something like this would be great there - its reasonably near gentrifying neighborhoods, and lots of NYU students. I think it has the right characteristics for a larger biotech and technology urban campus. And as a bonus, its not behind a mental institution with crazy people walking around outside

Default post critiquing biotech subsidies

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10172007...ng_biotech.htm

Interesting take, although I think a fair evaluation needs to consider the value these labs may have to university researchers testing the economic viability of a medicine. There's a larger "gray area" between the obligation of profit and non-profit businesses in medicine than in the larger economy. But I'll agree with the post that the city shouldn't pick winners and losers economically outside these specialized areas like medicine, law enforcement, or environmental businesses.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by TonyO View Post
    Bloomberg and Silver Say Biotechnology Center Will Become an Economic Boon

By Staff Reporter of the Sun
    October 16, 2007

A highly anticipated $700 million biotechnology center is beginning to take shape along the East River. The project, which is being developed on city-owned land, will include 1.1 million square feet of commercial space and research labs when complete. At a groundbreaking yesterday, Mayor Bloomberg and the speaker of the state Assembly, Sheldon Silver, said the project will be a major economic boon because it will help establish New York, which already has a wealth of medical talent, as a bioscience hub.

In addition to $700 million that Alexandria Real Estate Equities is committing, the project will get $13.4 million in city capital money, $23 million from the state Assembly, $4 million from the governor's office, $2 million in federal funds, and about $16 million from several other sources. The first phase is scheduled for completion in 2009.

It will only be a boom if they build millions more sf. One small development wont do much, I was hoping that the Hudson yards area could support some of this type of space since the floor plates are huge

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Millions more sf means bigger buildings but we know in this city, big is very hated word. Contemporary NY is content with aiming for mediocrity than anything too high.

Default maybe no in this case

I think in this case you can only build so high. Biotech labs typically have weird requirements about vibration and isolation, etc. I doubt you could successfully build a large skyscraper that met the needs.

That's why I think building in Seward Park would be good - extend the boom over a reasonably sized lot where skyscrapers probably wouldn't be built anyway.

Default bellevue mens shelter

am wondering if anyone has any specific information that the bellevue men's shelter at 400 east 30th st is going to be demolished. This is the old bellevue psychiatric hospital - not sure if it has landmark status. am assuming that it is amongst the 3.5 acres of land leased by alexandria, since it is directly across the street from the building site being excavated as we speak.

Yes. The men's shelter will be closed and the building will be demolished. It is unfortuate in a sense . . . a beautiful building, but with a scary past. NYU had evaluated it for making it into resident housing, but the cost was too great. So along with many other New York buildings it will go the way of the wrecking ball!

Default thanks

appreciate seeing that in writing. i work in the building and noone has come out and told staff anything. no time frame, nothing. i've taken it upon myself to research this development and inform my staff as to what i find. i'm guessing that its the next building to undergo demolition, also that that may begin as soon as this summer. if anyone has any more specifics, would be grateful.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

premas, can you take pics of the building that is coming down?

Default pics of site

i took some pics of the site, the building is already down. will forward tomorrow.

Default landmark status

fyi the old bellevue psych building will not be demolished but renovated for medical offices by nyu. am still attempting to garner information regarding the timeframe for when it will cease to be a shelter (and where they are planning to place 800 men). i believe nyu takes official ownership at the end of the year.

Really? The word around NYU is that it was evaluated and determined to be too expensive to renovate for the hospital's use. The back part of the building has already been torn off so I doubt that it is landmarked!

Default back of the building

In the Jan 28, 2008 report by the city planning commission, approving plan 197-a (east river science park), it states on page 33 under preservation that "the commission suppports the consideration of the original buildings at bellevue...noting that the Landmarks preservation commission has indicated that the psychiatric building and the acs building are "eligible as potential landmarks".

logistically (and i know because i work in the building) i can definitely see how renovation would be much more costly...the walls are so thick, marble, there is little to no cell phone reception and certainly no wifi access. that being said, as far as i know the back of the building is still intact, they've removed the old laundry building next to the shelter.

frustratingly, the powers that be (dhs) are stating that we are here until summer of 09. that's hardly believable given the amount of money thats been sunk into ersp - but, all should take into account that it is the city's responsibility to place 800 men. where are they going to go?

again, appreciate any info that anyone has. kind of like being in limbo here.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast