Thread: Whitehall Building Complex

Default Whitehall Building Complex

I adore this building http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/cx/?id=100727
    Could you guys please supply me with some more pics of it? Zippy?

Please you guys god-like-happy newyorkers, move up your butts, come to the Battery and pleeease, do make few pics for me!!! And pleeeease allow me use 'em at my russian-language site dedicated to Manhattan highrises!!! I'm ready to send you a Matryoshka or somewhat else for them. :-)

G@tor,
    1.What do you find so appealing about Whitehall?
    2.What is your website.
    3.What's a Matryoshka?

Forum Veteran

I think this is it, super nice rental apartments now, view is amazing...

http://www.ocean1west.com/default.asp

thomasjfletcher
    Thanks a lot!

jiw40
    1. Well... I generally love old NYC scyscrapers. And this one is so nice and huge! I think people were very impressed with it in 1910.
    2. http://flatiron.narod.ru But I have to say that it is just started and I've placed there just articles about three buildings yet. And it is whole Russian-language site. I would like to share with my love to NYC architecture to other Russian speaking people.
    3. Well, it was a joke indeed Matryoshka is a kind of russian wooden doll, I guess you can see them in souvenir stores at Brighton.

billyblancoNYC
    Yes, view is wonderful! I'd like to live there, but I'm afraid my salary isn't enough for it!

The annex is not as well proportioned as the original, but both have fine masonry.

A few problems with the renovation:
    The HVAC equipment on the sloped roof is a major distraction. A better solution would have been found if this was done after landmark designation in 2000. And it's about time for those tacky ad banners to go.

Exterior work on the annex is still not complete. Stonework is still missing on the corners. I have seen no progress here for at least a year. I guess they don't care, now that it's rented.

The second photo shows the penthouses that were built on both sides of the annex roof - a cheap disregard for the architecture of the building.

Those penthouses are disgusting!

Banned Member

Quote Originally Posted by ILUVNYC
    Those penthouses are disgusting!
    From the perspective of the photographer, but, if someone said, "Here, it's yours!", I'd gladly call it home. What a location!

The second photo shows the penthouses that were built on both sides of the annex roof - a cheap disregard for the architecture of the building.
    Good find. I didn't even know they were there, I guess that was the point though, atleast.

ZippyTheChimp
    Thanks for the great pics! And I never knew about that penthouse. I have to agree, it spoils the image of the building. Seeng some pictures of the building I also suspected that there is something wrong with massonry on the corners, but didn't read anything about it yet. Very useful info as far as would like to know as much as possible about old NYC buildings. I simply love them, can't explain why.

Forum Veteran

Crap on the outside, pretty damn nice on the inside. And the view from the terrace is so nice...

I think after all I like the building because of the place where it is situated. Sure, it wouldn't look so impressive if it was hidden somewhere among the towers of Midtown.