Page 2 of 114 FirstFirst 1234561252102 ... LastLast

Thread: One 57 - 157 West 57th Street - 1003 feet - by Christian de Portzamparc

Could somebody with a digital camera please take a picture of Uncle Sam's Umbrella Shop, for posterity?

You can see it to the left of No. 157 W. 57th if you look at the photos of that building posted on Emporis. I tried to paste it, but a red "x" appeared. That building was a gem, as are the three small buildings located to the east of 157. It's a real shame to lose them. For that matter, with a little TLC, No. 157 is quite a nice building. It will be a real travesty if Gershon replaces these great structures with a mediocre glass box.

Photo from emporis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	171694.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	3230  

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117 View Post
    Does it include the garage behind it on W 58th? Snooping around on property shark 147-163 west 57th and 158-166 west 58th were all bought within the past two years or so. If it includes all these parcels, this tower could be huge.
    Assuming that Gershon purchased those sites, a portion of this block will run to 58th Street, and it is quite a huge site. Hopefully, that means lots of air rights and a tower exceeding 800 feet. Given the Mandarin's sale of its Time Warner site, it would be nice if they anchored this building.

Given Gershon's involvement, it's not surprising that 158 W58th is quite a nice building which will be sacrificed for this project. To date, Gershon has built only one nice project in my opinion (i.e., the twin towers on WEA). I really hope that his needles destruction of six or seven nice, old buildings on this site will at least yield a beautiful, pretty tall tower.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

It will be interesting to see a fourth tower added to the Carnagie triptych.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    It will be interesting to see a fourth tower added to the Carnagie triptych.
    True. Hopefully, it's taller than the other three. I think of the three, CitySpire is the tallest. Do you know how tall it is?

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Wink 814 feet.

Emporis quote -

The tower exceeded the allowed height by a few meters, but the government and residents have exaggerated the problem into a scandal, causing CitySpire owners to create a community center for seniors as a "punishment".

I'm hoping whatever it is, that it's not a dull cube, which would kind of ruin the effect of the other three.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    I'm hoping whatever it is, that it's not a dull cube, which would kind of ruin the effect of the other three.
    In this city, that would be very likely.

Default 157 W 57th

The site includes the 4 small mixed-use buildings, office building, Uncle Sam's and CAMI buildings on W 57th, garage on W 58th, and loads of air rights from 57th, 58th, and even the west side of 7th Ave. It'll be huge.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

That's the way we like it here (huge vertically, not horizontally though) .

The Dude Abides

I'm not positive, but I think this is the site the project is planned for. Construction netting is up:

Also, does anyone know if this project is at all related to this one: http://wirednewyork.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8439

Default New Developments on 57th St

Any further information concerning 157 West 57th St and/or 225 West 57th St? What about 110 West 57th St? I´ve seen on Costas Kondylis web page(kondylis.com) that there´s another skyscraper planned.

That's an awesome building, but I think that it's the dead proposal for the Director's Guild tower.

Gershon filed a demolition permit on 1/23.

01/23/2007 104658531 01 A3 OSP F ASSIGNED TO P/E 01/24/2007 MIANDOBI SALMAS
    EQUIPMENT USE FOR DEMOLITION OF THE EXISTING BUILDING

Quote Originally Posted by mhh View Post
    Any further information concerning 157 West 57th St and/or 225 West 57th St? What about 110 West 57th St? I´ve seen on Costas Kondylis web page(kondylis.com) that there´s another skyscraper planned.
    Besides Centra/Ruddy apparently will design this tower.