Page 28 of 114 FirstFirst ... 182425262728293031323878 ... LastLast

Thread: One 57 - 157 West 57th Street - 1003 feet - by Christian de Portzamparc

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    Maybe the 57th St view sucks and the Central Park side is the nice side, but at this stage, I've lost hope.
    After having my blood pressure raise dramatically after seeing this, I took a few deep breaths and concluded that the north facade must be the primary one. Barnett can't be so delusional to call this the best building built in NY and a "gift" to the city unless the great facade is not shown. Also, I can't imagine that savy investors in Abu Dhabi would invest sunbstantial money in a sub-par building. Even the magnificent Cheesegrater (i.e., 122 Leadenhall in London) looks like a box from one side. It's the slanted Bishopsgate side which is magnificent.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; May 26th, 2010 at 11:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    After having my blood pressure raise dramatically after seeing this, I took a few deep breaths and concluded that the north facade must be the primary one. Barnett can't be so delusional to call this the best building built in NY and a "gift" to the city unless the great facade is not shown. Also, I can't imagine that savy investors in Abu Dhabi would invest sunbstantial money in a sub-par building. Even the magnificent Cheesegrater (i.e., 122 Leadenhall in London) looks like a box from one side. It's the slanted Bishopsgate side which is magnificent.
    Then again, after writing the above post in which I tried to salvage some hope, someone on SSP posted the "rendering" from de Portzamparc's website and superimposed it against the image from The Times. It suggests that this will, in fact, be a COLOSSAL disappoinment and confirm New York's downfall from greatness to irrelevance.

Forum Veteran

^ Take a deep breath. The tower is not as sexy as Tower Verre but that doesn't make it 'horrible' and signal the "decline of NY". It's really tall, has a couple interesting elements like the rounded setbacks and the pinstripe effect with the latter making it appear taller. I like it.

TonyO: If this is the best part of the design, I simply give up on any hope for New York building anything decent and conclude that the city -- architecturally -- is an irrelevant, has been about which I can no longer have any interest.

Short of the race for height, has NYC ever really been architecturally prominent? I mean, we may prefer some of the older style skyscrapers (Hotel Pennsylvania fight, etc), but ornamentation is not unique to NYC, nor invented here, and really, religious buildings have been doing it for a long time. Similarly, the international style skyscraper that swept the universe wasn't invented here either. The major achievement of NY was to build up, and we haven't been relevant in altitude for half a century. We're barely getting it back now nationally, and we will forever trail internationally. I just don't know that cutting edge architecture is now, or ever was the appeal of NYC. That's not to say there aren't nice buildings here or anything, just that if you want cutting edge, there are now, and have always been, other, better places to look.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Right. The beauty of NYC is the abundance of examples for all 20th. C styles. and the massing/skyline.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Oh my god, talk about a big letdown. I was expecting something sexy instead I see a stack of boxes. I am now angry actually.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Oh and Portzamparc and Gary Barnett and Extell all suck (in the words of londonlawyer) huge schl.ongs.

It looks exactly like what is so coldly described in the DOB filings regarding setbacks and facades.

Barnett scuttles artistry to max out every square inch of allowable FAR. No doubt Portzamparc found it quite a challenge to try to maintain some of his creative integrity through the design process, but in the end just tossed in the towel and rounded an edge here and there and said, "Here you are, boss."

Can we re-gift this thing to somewhere else?

The wavy pieces above that facade is cheap 'I don't know what to do' architecture. I'd like to see how it will look on the skyline but from this render it looks like a piece of crap.

Looking at the profile, it seems if we back up this one to Gehry's Beekman Tower we'll find that they were separated at birth.

It seems de Portzamparc's website is getting lots of traffic from folks looking for info. The damned thing won't load, just keeps spinning.

I never had any hopes this would be as good as Tower Verre, so am not disappointed at all. I like the setbacks, and it looks a lot better from the street than most other NYC projects... but I have no idea how this will look in the skyline.

EDIT: Though I gotta wonder where they got "the best in 50 years", and "very unusual" hyperbole from. I mean... I was expecting something a bit more...ambitious than a setbacked glass box with curlicues on the bottom...
    Last edited by dtolman; May 26th, 2010 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alonzo-ny View Post
    The wavy pieces above that facade is cheap 'I don't know what to do' architecture. I'd like to see how it will look on the skyline but from this render it looks like a piece of crap.
    Piece of crap, huh? Sure, if may not be the masterpiece we all wanted, but come on now.... to be honest, it is tall, it will help balance the midtown skyline and reduce the plateau effect, it is not horrible in any way.. If this is a piece of crap, frankly you shouldn't be on a NY forum b/c most of what we build would be far beneath your lofty standards. I'm sure you'll find what you want in Shanghai.

... but I have no idea how this will look in the skyline.
    how 'bout this?!