Page 3 of 114 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: One 57 - 157 West 57th Street - 1003 feet - by Christian de Portzamparc

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    Besides Centra/Ruddy apparently will design this tower.
    Thank you for the information londonlawyer. What do you think, when can we see the first proposals for the tower? And what about the reputation of Centra/Ruddy?

Quote Originally Posted by mhh View Post
    Thank you for the information londonlawyer. What do you think, when can we see the first proposals for the tower? And what about the reputation of Centra/Ruddy?
    Hi, man. I don't know the answer to either question. It could be quite some time before we see proposals though. I hope that Gershon builds something with limestone and brick though I doubt that he will.

This project is moving forward. I wonder if this could exceed 800 feet considering how huge the site is and how lucrative it would be to maximize park views.

The following demo permit was recently filed for the garage behind this site on 58th St.

Apt No: Use: OTHER
    SPECIFIC FLOORS: OSP

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Work Types Submitted: EQ

Construction Equipment: OTHER EQUIP: BOBCAT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Applicant of Record: EBRAHIM MIANBOABI Phone: 914-498-0872
    N/A
    271 SPRAIN RD, SCARDALE, NY 10583
    Professional Title: PE License Number: 79548
    D-14 Applicant of Record: EBRAHIM MIANBOABI Phone: 914-498-0872
    N/A
    271 SPRAIN RD, SCARDALE, NY 10583
    Professional Title: PE License Number: 79548
    Filing Representative: SALMASSIAN ROYA Phone: 917-333-6113
    ROYAL CONSTRUCTION SERVICES INC
    271 SPRAIN RD, SCARSDALE, NY 105853

Last Action: PERMIT ISSUED - ENTIRE JOB/WORK 01/23/2007 (R)

Pre-Filed: 01/16/2007 Date Filed: 01/16/2007
    Fees: STANDARD Estimated Total Cost: $0.00 PC Filed: N

Additional Considerations:

Directive 14: Y Old Code: Y Quality Housing: N Site Safety: N
    Infill Zoning: N Loft Review: N Single Room Occupancy: N
    Declaration: Page: Reel:
    Adult Establishment: N
    Little 'E' Restrictions: N/A Landmark: N

Job Description:
    EQUIPMENT USE FOR DEMOLITION OF THEEXISTING GARAGE CAT 303.5, 226, 304, 377 BOBCAT____CAT 331, 246

Plans Submitted: ME
    Occupancy Classification: Existing: COM - COMMERCIAL BUILDINGS - OLD CODE
    Proposed:
    Construction Classification: EXIST OLD CODE: 1

Zoning District: C6-6 - GENERAL CENTRAL COMMERCIAL DISTRICT
    Special District: NONE
    Street Status: PUBLIC
    Map No.: 008C

Building Dimension: No. Stories: 7 Street Frontage:
    Height: 75 Dwelling Units:
    Total Gross Area of Building: Fill:
    Site Area Characteristics:

Metes and Bounds:
    Beginning at a point on the side of
    Distant Ft. of the corner formed by the intersection of and
    RUNNING THENCE 0 FT. THENCE 0 FT.

Owner: CORPORATION Non-Profit Flag: N
    BARNETT GARY PRESIDENT
    EXTELL WEST 57TH STREET LLC 800 THIRD AVENUE 212 712 - 6000
    NEW YORK NY 10022
    OCCUPANCY CERTIFICATION: N
    OCCUPANCY NOTIFICATION: N
    REL TO BLDG OWNER: PRESIDENT
    CORPORATION:
    KWESTEL MARC VICE PRESI
    800 THIRD AVENUE NEW YORK NY 10022 212 712 - 6000

There is a lot of activity at this site both on 57th Street and 58th. I wonder if this building can surpass 800 or 900 feet. The site is absolutely huge.

Default 157 - 161 w 57th

[quote=tmg;37607]Does anybody know what's up with these properties? Several buildings in a row are closed, which suggests something bigger may be going in their plac

ON Feb 9 2007 my wife asked one of the construction workers who were dismantling the interiors what was going on? The reply was "This is coming down and 80 stories are going up, should be finished in 2 1/2 years. It's going to be the biggest condo in nyc having commercial section in lower part of building. It's going to tower well above the buildings on Central Park South so it will have great views. They [the developers] have a permit for 1000 ft."
    Last edited by pagh; February 10th, 2007 at 01:43 PM. Reason: forgot to add what was mentioned about possible height

I really hope your right, something big will rise there for sure though.

I'll repost this excerpt from an nearly year old article.

NY Post

NEW LOOK ON TAP
    By STEVE CUOZZO
    February 14, 2006

Biggest by far is the parcel assembled by Gary Barnett's Extell Development Co. over the last seven years. Extell owns six adjacent buildings on the north side, Nos. 147-161, with 150 feet of precious sidewalk frontage.

Extell also bought air rights from vacant CAMI Hall at no. 165 and from the Briarcliffe apartment building on the Seventh Avenue corner — easily generating a new project of several hundred thousand square feet.

Except for a pizza shop and the Fontana di Trevi restaurant, most of the addresses are vacant.

Barnett is aware of the block's condition: "There are a lot of development sites, but so far no development," he observed.

He predicts that eventually, 57th Street "is going to be one of the great public promenades," but says Extell is far from deciding how or when to proceed.

"We will one day do something but nothing is imminent," he said. "We hope it will be within this decade."

Extell, which just completed the highly successful Orion apartment tower on West 42nd Street, has its hands full with projects all over town.

[QUOTE=pagh;147304]
    Quote Originally Posted by tmg View Post
    Does anybody know what's up with these properties? Several buildings in a row are closed, which suggests something bigger may be going in their plac

ON Feb 9 2007 my wife asked one of the construction workers who were dismantling the interiors what was going on? The reply was "This is coming down and 80 stories are going up, should be finished in 2 1/2 years. It's going to be the biggest condo in nyc having commercial section in lower part of building. It's going to tower well above the buildings on Central Park South so it will have great views. They [the developers] have a permit for 1000 ft."
    Has anyone found the 1,000 foot permit on the DOB website? That would be AWESOME!!!

P.S.: How many s.f. do Metropolitan Tower and Cityspire have?

The only recent DOB applications for 155-159 W. 57th are demo related (filed in Jan. '07). Nothing for a New Building there.

The only recent DOB applications for 161 W. 57th are demo related (filed in Feb. '07). Nothing for a New Building there, either.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    The only recent DOB applications for 155-159 W. 57th are demo related (filed in Jan. '07). Nothing for a New Building there.

The only recent DOB applications for 161 W. 57th are demo related (filed in Feb. '07). Nothing for a New Building there, either.
    I looked and saw the same thing that you did. Lofter, do you know how many sf this project can include?

Not a clue ---

But you can do some math:

It encompasses four lots from 155 - 161 W. 57th. If those lots are 25' wide then it will have 100' of frontage on W. 57th. If each is a single lot deep then the plot will be 100' x 100' = 10,000 sf.

Zoning MAP shows that it is zoned C5-3 along W. 57th.

According to the Zoning Data Tables (ZDT) a C5-3 designation allows a Residential FAR of 10.0 (but that can be increased to FAR 15.0 with the inclusion of a "commercial facility" -- whatever that might be).

So 10,000 sf x FAR 10 = 100,000 sf.

If this plot goes through to W. 58th then the map shows that along W. 58th the lots are zoned C5-1.

The ZDT shows that a C5-1 also allows a Residential FAR of 10.0

Each lot is ~ 25' x 100', so add another 25,000 sf for each lot along W. 58th.

Then you have to add into that whatever bonuses might be available, whatever air rights might have been purchased and who knows what else.

OK -- now you can do some math and tell me how big it can be .

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	155_161 W 57th_Zoning_01b.JPG 
Views:	473 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	3552   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zoning Table_Commercial.JPG 
Views:	495 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	3553  

Smile Wouldnt want to own in Metropolitan Tower looking north. . .

looks like their view looking to the park will be impacted by this new building. This is the third or second time they got screwed.Commercial building next door got some of them .
    Forgot the name its the one Clinton was supposed to get an office in.
    maybe the third shaft because i think City Spire was the second.They got the ones looking South.
    btw you talk about FAR but how did Metropilitan Tower get so big in the first place ? It has a decent size footprint but not huge.

FAR, fo the most part, is still a mystery to me.

If I could figure it out I could earn big bucks like the pros who navigate DOB and City Planning for developers .

Metropolitan Tower has that plaza on 56th, right? Whatever that did to minimize the foot print would allow them to go that much higher.

I speculate that a top foreign hotel will be included in this project such as Shangri-La or Taj.

The following is from Shangri-La's website:

Shangri-La Appoints Brian Windle Vice President Sales And Marketing, North America

Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Asia Pacificís leading luxury hotel group, has appointed Brian Windle vice president sales and marketing, North America. Mr. Windle will assume this newly created, New York-based position June 1, 2007, reporting directly to Chief Marketing Officer Martin F. Waechter.

Mr. Windle will be responsible for North America inbound and outbound sales and marketing including distribution channel development; loyalty and partner marketing; revenue generation of Shangri-Laís New York and Los Angeles regional sales offices; and successful marketing launches of Shangri-La hotels opening in Chicago, Miami, Las Vegas, Vancouver, Toronto and others soon to be announced.

Thumbs up

Promising news posted by londonlawyer in the 400 PAS thread. A couple months ago I was thinking that Extell would develop the two sites they own on 57th Street with two towers with a common theme and design, sort of like the Ariels, but better of course....looks like I could be right.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    It would be AWESOME if Extell hires Portzamparc for his two sites on 57th Street. I googled that and the CV of Renaud Magnaval, an architect who works for Portzamparc, came up. It indicates that he participated in design work in 2006 on two towers: one 57th Street which was about 815 feet and one on 58th which was about 937 feet. Either of these could be the Extell sites, both of which run through the block from 57th to 58th.
    http://www.aiany.org/services/resume...udmagnaval.pdf

57th Street HIGH RISE/ 58th Street HIGH RISE , Conceptual Design for two High rise towers, New York City, 2006 (postponed).

Program: 57 Street Tower: 722,000 SQFT of Residential, Height 815’

Program: 58 Street Tower: 975,000 SQFT of Short/long term hotel and residential, Height 937’

Assistant Project Manager, New York City office to assist the design Paris team
    Worked on: apartment layout, presentations to the client. Collaboration with Michael Parley (zoning consultant).

There is no singular through block site on 57th/58th Street that can produce nearly 2 msf. of development and no NY developer would take that supposed site and develop it into two residential towers, it'd be a massive office building. Thus, these have to be two separate sites.

These generally follows the same square footages and programs of the two planned Extell along 57th/58th streets and coincidentally Extell recently hired Portzamparc for Riverside South, thus I'm conviced these are the same projects.

I'll assume the 58th Street tower is the former old Hard Rock Café. Extell owns the property at 221 W. 57th St., which consists of two buildings that lie back-to-back north to south. He also has a bunch of air-rights for the site.

The 57th Street tower, I'm guessing is this thread right here. I could have it backwards since both sites would have frontages on 57th and 58th.
    Last edited by Derek2k3; March 16th, 2007 at 08:57 PM.