Page 33 of 114 FirstFirst ... 232930313233343536374383 ... LastLast

Thread: One 57 - 157 West 57th Street - 1003 feet - by Christian de Portzamparc

Banned Member

I like that render. It looks like a 1930's tower clad in glass. The vertical lines look great.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

Dear Michael Graves,

I believe this is what you hoped for with your ghastly 425 Fifth Avenue design. You'll be remembered for that - not anything remotely like this.

So is the north side glass curtain wavy glass like that one new building in Paris? Isn't that a CDP building?

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    There better NOT be any blankwalls.
    Given that almost all the adjoining properties have sold their air rights for this new tower then there's little to no reason that side walls are blank or without fenestration throughout.

Looks slightly better now we can see the mass and crown. The glass still looks horrible and it is still a massive let down. It will do wonders for the skyline however. I definitely prefer this to happen than not at all but again, still a massive let down.

To Alonzo:

In this economy, I think that design is quite fine, thank you. We are not China or Dubai with the booming economy and government supported development.. NY will never be a city looking to build outlandish boondoggle novelty buildings with odd shapes, constantly screaming for attention. I'm fine with that.

How many times are you going to keep saying that? And who is saying that NY should be building Asian or Dubai inspired towers?

I basically agree with you. I think it is better that the building is built than not. Stop being so reactive and actually read what I am saying. I basically agree that it is net positive and I have said nothing about China or Dubai.

Pssst: Stop talking about the cake!

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Does anyone else agree with me that if the undulated windows there on the base was continued on the rest of the tower, it would look a whole lot more interesting, or even more exciting than the boring flat glass that's there instead?
    Not me. I don't like what's already there.

With these new perspectives, I sort of like the building now. The rest depends on the glass. The striping evokes a classic Manhattan tower.

I wonder if this faceted-looking facade is a visual trick resulting from the variety of colors on the glass or if it's actually created by the placement of the glass panels, as was the case with Foster's proposed tower for Rosen on Lex. Hopefully, the latter.

Looks like the sides have the much maligned random cladding.

Hi, amigo.

I was referring to the north facade.

I think the part you are referring to is actually a series of fin like structures. If you look at the top of the building you can see that the white part protrudes out further than the rest of the facade.

Art Deco inspired.

Quote Originally Posted by JFK-CDG View Post
    Whoa, I'm starting to love this thing. And to think, I thought it was an abortion when I saw it yesterday morning.

--scalziand
    I agree. The only problem was that Barnett acted like a real putz claiming that it would be the best building conceiveable, which bombastic comments lead people (at least those who took him for his word and not for the schmuck that he is) to believe that it would be some masterpiece that broke barriers. Nevertheless, it's still quite nice. Hopefully, it will sell well and Arabar will underwrite the building at the Hard Rock site. A traditional Portzamparc gem could rise there since the lot is more normally shaped.

People seemed to be expecting ''futurism'', like his previous proposals.

Since NY lacks futurism, it was a dissapointment to get a re-hash of art-deco/pomo. However, the tower has a sleek elegance and not many NY towers have curves at all which is a change. It brings about some yin to NY's yang.

IMO, NY needs more futurism and organic architecture to mark the new century and to show that it is willing to move with the times. Don't want to end up having that samey look that reeks of unwillingness to innovate and embrace new ideas.

If MoMA or Leonard street were built, that would help, even though they are not exactly organic or futurism I think. Still, they are foward looking.

Ny is full of phallic spires -- it's time to have more feminine shapes to balance that agressive masculinity. Notice that in Shanghai they embrace flowering or open roofs more than spires. Cultural thing maybe.
    Last edited by futurecity; May 30th, 2010 at 01:12 PM.