Page 4 of 114 FirstFirst 123456781454104 ... LastLast

Thread: One 57 - 157 West 57th Street - 1003 feet - by Christian de Portzamparc

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Well that's gotta be a first: peering into someone's résumé for development news.

So if Portzamparc was hired to do these two projects, how does Frank Williams fit into all this?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    Promising news posted by londonlawyer in the 400 PAS thread....

http://www.aiany.org/services/resume...udmagnaval.pdf

57th Street HIGH RISE/ 58th Street HIGH RISE , Conceptual Design for two High rise towers, New York City, 2006 (postponed).

Program: 57 Street Tower: 722,000 SQFT of Residential, Height 815’

Program: 58 Street Tower: 975,000 SQFT of Short/long term hotel and residential, Height 937’

Assistant Project Manager, New York City office to assist the design Paris team
    Worked on: apartment layout, presentations to the client. Collaboration with Michael Parley (zoning consultant).

I think that there's a good chance that we will get two utterly amazing towers on these sites!

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    So if Portzamparc was hired to do these two projects, how does Frank Williams fit into all this?
    Well according to the project sheet, Frank Williams' design was completed 2001. The tower was probably postponed and Extell is now starting over with Portzamparc.

I don't know...

While I am happy that Extell decided to go with Portzamparc (instead of a Kondylis or Cetra Ruddy), I would have like to see Frank Williams do one of the towers.

Gives us a variety of style, you know?

Well imagine what the Central Park South skyline would look like if 3 stunning glass towers went up on 3 separate block fronts, each being their owns tallest. A 900'+ tower would top out half way between Cityspire and the top of the pic, an 800'+ tower would block out the Cityspire cluster and then some, and 220 CPS would actually appear taller than Hearst.

.................................................. .......^
    Hopefully none of these turn out grounded and bloated like this woman's behind.

Extell Tower
    147-161 West 57th Street
    815'
    Christian de Portzamparc
    Extell Development Corporation
    Residential
    722,000 Sq. Ft.
    Proposed

Former Hard Rock Café Site
    217-223 West 57th Street
    937 feet
    Christian de Portzamparc
    975,000 Sq. Ft.
    Mixed-Use (Residential & Hotel)
    Proposed

220 Central Park South
    41 stories 507 feet (DOB)
    Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects
    The Clarett Group
    Residential Condominium
    79 units 242,232 Sq. Ft.
    Proposed

I'm just hoping they'll turn out at all. We all know how infrequently we get 800+ footers in this city, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Anyway, I am confident in these two firms, so we're not going to get anything scary.

I was really hoping the Hard Rock one wouldn't be where it would block out the Cityspire/Metropolitan/Carnegie trio but instead fill in one of the other "openings" in the skyline, but hey, we'll take it anywhere we can.

Well imagine what the Central Park South skyline would look like if 3 stunning glass towers went up on 3 separate block fronts, each being their owns tallest. A 900'+ tower would top out half way between Cityspire and the top of the pic, an 800'+ tower would block out the Cityspire cluster and then some, and 220 CPS would actually appear taller than Hearst.

.................................................. .......^
    Hopefully none of these turn out grounded and bloated like this woman's behind.

Extell Tower
    147-161 West 57th Street
    815'
    Christian de Portzamparc
    Residential
    722,000 Sq. Ft.
    Proposed

Former Hard Rock Café Site
    217-223 West 57th Street
    937 feet
    Christian de Portzamparc
    975,000 Sq. Ft.
    Mixed-Use (Residential & Hotel)
    Proposed

220 Central Park South
    41 stories 507 feet (DOB)
    Pelli Clarke Pelli Architects
    The Clarett Group
    Residential Condominium
    79 units 242,232 Sq. Ft.
    Proposed

Derek,

Do you know if the taller de Portzamparc building is the one on the Hardrock site or are you assuming that? It seems like the site across from Carnegie Hall is much bigger.

Just a guess, based on the Hard Rock cafe site seems like it would have more frontage on 58th.

It could just as well be the other way around. Frank Williams' design for the site across from Carnegie was a mix of hotel & residences just as the 58 Street Tower is noted in the resume'....and as you said that site does seem larger.

Lastly it would also fall more in line with what pagh posted...

"This is coming down and 80 stories are going up, should be finished in 2 1/2 years. It's going to be the biggest condo in nyc having commercial section in lower part of building. It's going to tower well above the buildings on Central Park South so it will have great views. They [the developers] have a permit for 1000 ft."

The Dude Abides

Even today, that skyline is pretty amazing. I can't wait to see how these new towers will add to it.

The one in the pic above that needs to be blocked out is the fugly bluish-greenish stripey L-shaped thing on the NW corner of 56th & 7th Avenue.

Just a guess, based on the Hard Rock cafe site seems like it would have more frontage on 58th.

It could just as well be the other way around. Frank Williams' design for the site across from Carnegie was a mix of hotel & residences just as the 58 Street Tower is noted in the resume'....and as you said that site does seem larger.

Lastly it would also fall more in line with what pagh posted...

"This is coming down and 80 stories are going up, should be finished in 2 1/2 years. It's going to be the biggest condo in nyc having commercial section in lower part of building. It's going to tower well above the buildings on Central Park South so it will have great views. They [the developers] have a permit for 1000 ft."
    Derek where is this quote from? I am getting really excited about the prospect of these heights in midtown, anywhere else I wouldn't allow myself to get excited, but there arent as many NIMBY's in midtown, so things can get done there, occasionally. Hopefully the umbrellea's don't go marching to Central Park and we won't get a 750 foot ceiling here as had happened at Columbus Circle.

Also Christian de Portzamparc is one of my all-time favorite architects, I know he will come up with a faceded crystaline shard, which would help NYC's architectural reputation and would hopefully create a great composition with the Hearst Tower nearby.

Lastly at this height it would add a much needed peak in this part of midtown, Safdie's Columbus Circle design would have done this. It's possible we'll be getting just that here, if I remember correctly Safdie's proposal had one tower around 815 and the other around 925. Maybe like Safdie's Columbus Circle; Extell and de Portzamparc are planning on a certain architectural interplay as well.

A brutal mass of concrete ^^^ whose height would not have been worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    I wasn't a big fan of Safdie's design either, he's one of my favorite architects today only because of an incredible transformation he has made in recent years. I only made the comparrison because of the possible similarities of height and general location as well as an architectural interplay, I'm sure de Portzamparc won't disapoint.

Random Personality

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    Agreed. After paging through the pictures in Sterns New York 2000 book, it was quite clear to me that Safies proposal would have been a bad idea. Too brutalist, and too much concrete. Bleh.