Page 51 of 114 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

Thread: One 57 - 157 West 57th Street - 1003 feet - by Christian de Portzamparc

I don't expect much from this building, other than it'll be tall.

145 West 57th Street

The 21-story Nippon Club Tower, which was erected by the club at 145 West 57th Street, between Seventh Avenue and the Avenue of the Americas in mid-town Manhattan. The club facilities encompasses a restaurant and tea room, banquet facilities, a ballroom, classrooms, and an exhibition gallery; however, unlike many similar clubs in Manhattan, overnight hotel accommodations were not included. The modern structure, designed by Norboru Uenishi, is faced with glass and granite.[4] The facade is meant to be an abstract rendering of the Manhattan street grid, complete with the diagonal interruption of Broadway.

With this new building, it is really a nice feeling to know that NYC hasn't abandoned the supertall skyscraper and it still has an interest in going beyond the box. However, it is not a vary unusual building that could really evoke wows. I hope to see more innovative scrapers built with more unusual shapes but I fear that NY's rigid structure and rigid development process will preclude such innovation. However, what is worrying is how quickly a city, primarily known for skyscrapers, has fallen behind upstart cities like Mumbai, for example, and countless others.

Mumbai!!! FFS. Out of nowhere, Mumbai has 15 supertalls either U/C or proposed. In a 5-10 year span, Mumbai will exceed the overall height of NYC top towers, a skyscraper collection that has taken decades to build. A city recently known for its slums and poverty, will suddenly be on the fast track to becoming a taller, more design innovative NYC. Some of them are real stunners too that would eclipse anything manhattan has outside of its collection of classic scrapers, and of course some are banal too. However, the whole rise of Mumbai and the speed is really jaw dropping!

I really think NYC needs to build a stunning tower far more radical and odd than this one, something that breaks the design mold of NYC, and paves the way for a new design paradigm that embodies a more playful approach to design. I think of London's Gherkin that paved the way for a modernistic revolution (shard, pinnacle, etc, etc). Although NYC would never go down that route, we need to do something better than build boring boxes that go 450m high.

I really would love to see a tower that just makes people say, 'what the bleep'n hell is that'. This city has gone far too conservative for my liking. Needs more quirky style in its buildings, something to show the world that NYC isn't all button-down-joe. We must begin to bring some style back into our buildings just like what Seoul has achieved with its collection of playful and provocative buildings that has had that city named by many onlookers as the 'new tokyo', or Asias style city.

Since NYC can never again be known for its daring audacious technological skyscraper design that pushes envelopes in height and size, it must at least innovate in design and show that it can indeed be more than canyons of cliff-like glass faces. We have seen far too many banalities built recently that are just disgusting and make you want to shake your head.
    Last edited by futurecity; September 13th, 2011 at 08:43 PM.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    I don't expect much from this building, other than it'll be tall.
    I love this comment.

Why?

I think I once said that about a date.

Kings County Loyal BrooklynLove's Avatar

It so simply and effectively captures a sentiment that seems impossibly absurd - that someone would build something exceptionally tall that is unexceptional.

Drum roll in preparation for the slap down for such a collection of insensitive opinions.

"LOL"

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Perhaps we can blame this on change of season...

I couldn't agree more, Zip/BL.

Quote Originally Posted by futurecity View Post
    Mumbai!!! FFS. Out of nowhere, Mumbai has 15 supertalls either U/C or proposed. In a 5-10 year span, Mumbai will exceed the overall height of NYC top towers, a skyscraper collection that has taken decades to build.
    This is nonsense. Mumbai barely has any highrises built or proposed.

Obviously a skyline is the sum of its thousands of parts, not some cherry-picked 15 proposals. And no city has all (or even the strong majority) of proposals actually get built.

An impressive skyline can develop very quickly, especially if it is using 300m+ buildings as a foundation just like Dubai. Also, this is India, which is entering its adolescent stage of growth and its discovery of the supertall. I would predict that most of these proposals go up given the boom age India is now entering, just like Manhattan boomed in the early 20th century and 60/70s.

As of now, yes Mumbai has few tall buildings but if you check out the status, many are now U/C all at once. I believe they have around 5+ supertalls U/C already with another 5+ proposed. It is trending the Dubai route now (which has 20+ supertalls). However, in Mumbai, you will see density due to the structure of the population and the shape of the landmass. The only problem is the risk of overbuilding like Dubai. However, the population and the growing economy of India means that Dubai and Mumbai are nothing a like.

Most of the proposals are for the most part much more modern (i.e, design adventurous using curves more liberally) and taller than the average NYC skyscraper and given Mumbai's rapid development, it will surely have more and more proposals as time goes on. Some are practically art, like the Namaste or India towers. I'm not saying NYC doesn't have great scrapers (Ghery, WTC2, etc), just that Mumbai's proposals are far more interesting to the eye than the average NYC box. Also I'm not comparing Mumbai and NYC as cities, just skycraper development here.

Anyway, when you think of the shape of the Mumbai area the fact that it is one of the most dense cities in the world (most dense metro), it is only natural that we will be seeing the birth of the next Manhattan (albeit not in the same structure) or Dubai in terms of # of tall buildings. The density of Mumbai is staggering. Try fitting the entire NYC metro area into 1/4+ of the land area. It is only natural that as India becomes the #1 GDP economy in the world in 2050 as predicted by Citibank, Mumbai will become the NYC of India, and will most likely be a prime candidate for the tallest overall city in the world given its extreme population and lack of space. Think HK on steroids. Overall, it is a city that is known for its slums and poverty, is on track to surpass the mother of skyscraper cities and one of the richest world cities in height and modern design in a mere 10 years of development if the current trend holds. It just shows you that you can't rest on your laurels in the architectural world, you can easily become a has-been if you don't keep innovating. I fear NYC lacks innovation in design and will fall behind the emerging markets in terms of modern design.
    Last edited by futurecity; September 15th, 2011 at 12:44 PM.

Mumbai is already the NYC of India.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    Mumbai is already the NYC of India.
    Yes it is, and it is on track to becoming a city of immense skyscrapers clustered together in a small area with interesting designs. I'm concerned that Manhattan and US design is rather dull compared to these emerging markets. It is almost like we are resting on our laurels design wise. It seems that most of the interesting design is done in developing countries with a few exceptions (London, etc). It is sad that NYC boomed in such a horrible time for buildings (60's, 70's). Same with Tokyo. I despise boring boxes and instead I look up to the amazing designs we see coming out of Seoul, Mumbai, and Shanghai, rather than the boxes of midtown manhattan or tokyo.

Manhattan's first boom was in the 1920's.

India has huge problems that won't be solved by building skyscrapers.