Page 54 of 114 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864104 ... LastLast

Thread: One 57 - 157 West 57th Street - 1003 feet - by Christian de Portzamparc

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Construction still seems slow on this but maybe that's just me.

October 21st, 2011

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Barnett talks about his favorite architects, the rental boom and the art of assemblage

Gary Barnett, president of Extell Development, gives a presentation at the Center for Architecture

October 28, 2011 12:00PM
    By Katherine Clarke

In the lead up to receiving his 2011 Heritage Ball award Thursday, honoree and Extell Development President Gary Barnett made an appearance the night before at the Center for Architecture on LaGuardia Place to speak about his past and present projects. It being an architecture event, Barnett revealed how he chooses which architects to work with, the cost of design in the current market and why it's taking longer to get projects built.

"We like to spread the business around, but we do have some favorite architects," said Barnett, who has worked with a slew of big name architecture firms including SOM, Christian de Portzamparc and SLCE on his New York City projects. Extell's preoccupation with layouts means that the projects often design themselves from the inside out, he added, making the architect's role slimmer and more challenging.

"We were thinking, 'what can he do with this?'" Barnett said of giving the specifications for his new development One57 at 157 West 57th Street to de Portzamparc, with the footprint, setbacks and floor plans already established. The developer said he was amazed by what de Portzamparc was able to do with the design, coming back with various proposals for the building. In the end, Barnett chose one of the most affordable options, He said. Meanwhile Barnett is asking sky-high prices for the units, with presale prices ranging from $3,000 to $8,285 per square foot.

While One57 is a condominium development, Barnett said the rental market is where the action is at the moment. "Right now, it seems like there's unlimited demand for rentals and it's all happening when the economy is not even doing so well," he told The Real Deal. "What happens when there's a boom? We could really see a spike in asking rents. We're doing a 600,000-square-foot building which will be a rental product."

When The Real Deal asked Barnett for more information on his new rental building after the event, he declined to comment.

Architecture also brings tourists to the city, which is a boost to the economy, Barnett said during the event. "New York City is becoming like Disney Land a little bit, which is a good thing," he told the audience. "Tourists enjoy seeing new exciting modern design. This is what makes life better for everyone in the city."

Challenges for developers operating in this economy come mainly from getting financing, he added, limiting the size of buildings that are breaking ground.

"Small projects are getting done because they don't cost a lot of money. Demand is there but the question is, how do you get these things built? There is a tremendous desire to build new, but in the last six months financing has actually gone backwards… Construction timing has also gone up given the city restrictions over safety. It's slower. Buildings are taking longer to build, maybe 20 to 30 percent longer."

In a shocking admission, Barnett said it had taken him almost 13 years to get One57 off the ground.

"[One57] was really truly a challenge to get done. I've been working on it really since 1998. It's an interesting assemblage story. At one point in the process, I decided I wanted the building next door [to where the building currently is]. I offered the owner five times what it was worth and they turned it down. So I said 'that's it' and threw in the towel."

Later, when construction had already begun on One57, the owner came back and said he would sell after all.

"I was very happy to say 'no, we're not interested anymore,'" Barnett recalled. "I probably shouldn't say that."

© 2011 The Real Deal

So now we know that Portzamparc probably had other more stunning designs for this project but Gary Barnett cheaped out on this one.

No surprise.

This happens on almost every project. Architects don't work in a vacuum with an unlimited budget.
    Perhaps you can donate some money to Barnett for a better design.

Actually, it vindicates Portzamparc, who seem to have gotten a bad rap for the current lukewarm design.

I would've like to see what his other proposals looked like.

Derek - Are you on his payroll or something?

Is there any part of my statement about Barnett cheapening out that isn't true?

The developer said he was amazed by what de Portzamparc was able to do with the design, coming back with various proposals for the building. In the end, Barnett chose one of the most affordable options, He said. Meanwhile Barnett is asking sky-high prices for the units, with presale prices ranging from $3,000 to $8,285 per square foot.
    And you think he needs my donation?

Yep, architects in this city do their best to work around tight budgets, high construction costs, tight zoning regulations and sometimes greedy developers.
    Why most design firms produce their best work elsewhere. Any tower that goes up in NY is not really a reflection of the firms design skill but rather how well they can juggle various regulations and tight budgets to still produce competent design. Kaufman & Poon are among the few I’ve seen with no aesthetic sensibility, but surely if Renzo Piano had McSam as a client with a McSam budget, he’d be pressed to produce something much better.

I don't think he's cheaping out, I think he can't afford to produce something better.

The developer chose the most suitable design that makes the best business sense. That's all there is to it. Development is a business, and just like when Apple or Sony start a new project, a building product is developed with costs and return on investment as the #1 priority so that the business can remain profitable, pay its staff and continue to operate for years to come.. Don't just automatically assume that he was greedy and took the cheap way out. You don't even know if he could have chosen the more elaborate design without harming his ability to continue with future projects. People sometimes astound me here. If you want to blame someone, blame NYC and its strict zoning regulations and high construction costs. Hell, why not blame the overall layout of the city itself.

I'm sure he could have gone to town with an amazing design, but who knows it such a risk would have destroyed his business down the road or not, nobody here knows.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

We're so glad you do.

Quote Originally Posted by futurecity View Post
    Don't just automatically assume that he was greedy and took the cheap way.
    Umm...no one assumed, it was clearly stated in that article as such:

The developer said he was amazed by what de Portzamparc was able to do with the design, coming back with various proposals for the building. In the end, Barnett chose one of the most affordable options, He said. Meanwhile Barnett is asking sky-high prices for the units, with presale prices ranging from $3,000 to $8,285 per square foot.
    Can you read?

So in essence, he picked the cheapest build option and then turn around and charge sky-high prices. Yeah, that isn't greed at all.

i'm sure it would have been cheaper not to hire portzamparc, not to have setbacks, etc.

He wanted Portzamparc's name, for marketing purposes. This is really Extell's first foray into this ultra luxury market here in Central Park South.

Kondylis wasn't going to do.

Also...since when did a couple of setbacks became expensive to do? It's actually advantageous to include setbacks so one can build higher.