Page 86 of 114 FirstFirst ... 367682838485868788899096 ... LastLast
Results 1,276 to 1,290 of 1701

Thread: One 57 - 157 West 57th Street - 1003 feet - by Christian de Portzamparc

where...?

Xanadu in vertical

Beautiful shots. Went out Saturday morning to get shots from the park, but of course I was tricked by the weather forecast. Sunday morning I just could not wake up early enough.

Big steel is going in up top, as frame work to house the mechanicals.

Speaking of construction, constructing the inside of each owners' apartments may take longer than the building itself. I just hate when that happens.

One57’s Billionaires, and the Dust-Ups They CauseBy ALEXEI BARRIONUEVOPublished: September 27, 2012

Chang W. Lee/The New York Times
    GOING UP One57, currently rising above 57th Street in Manhattan.

Chang W. Lee/The New York Times

AS problems go, this is a pretty good one to have.
    One57 will be New York’s tallest building with residences upon completion next year.

Gary Barnett, the developer of One57, is attracting a steady flow of billionaire buyers to his Midtown tower, which upon completion next year will be New York’s tallest building with residences.
    But Mr. Barnett, the president of the Extell Development Company, is more than a little worried about a possible gripe fest in the tower’s top 15 floors, where the billionaires’ club is forming.
    Several of the future owners of the high-altitude, full-floor apartments are hiring their own designers to finish their spaces, which could become a big headache for their neighbors, Mr. Barnett said.
    “This was a major, major issue for us,” he said. “We don’t want our people who are buying and accepting our finishes to be sitting there for three or four years while tons of construction goes on in the building and people build out their spaces. It ties up elevators and creates dust and noise. We are doing everything possible to avoid that.”

Buyers of the two duplex penthouses, and a number of the other purchasers of the seven full-floors that have been sold so far (out of a total of 11), are planning to finish their spaces themselves, Mr. Barnett said.
    They include the fashion moguls Silas K. F. Chou and Lawrence S. Stroll, the first billionaires to be identified as buyers a week ago, according to a person familiar with the matter.
    Mr. Stroll, a 53-year-old Canadian, became a billionaire after he and Mr. Chou, 66, took the fashion label Michael Kors public last December as the company’s majority owners and former co-chairmen, cashing out hundreds of millions of dollars of their shares. Mr. Stroll is worth an estimated $1.8 billion, while Mr. Chou, the son of a billionaire from Hong Kong, has a fortune of $2 billion, according to Forbes.
    The longtime friends and business partners, who also previously acquired and served as co-chairmen of the Tommy Hilfiger Corporation, were among the first buyers at One57. According to two people who declined to be identified because of confidentiality agreements, Mr. Stroll bought first; his 85th-floor unit, with four bedrooms and 6,240 square feet, cost just under $50 million. Mr. Chou bought the 82nd floor for just over $50 million, they said.

One other buyer at One57 was identified last week. He is Michael Holtz, the owner of the SmartFlyer travel agency; he said he had bought a three-bedroom apartment on the 39th floor facing Central Park, but would not disclose the price.
    Mr. Holtz, who is on the advisory board of the Park Hyatt, the hotel that will be under the One57 condo residences, said in an interview that he is not a billionaire. (Michael Gross, who is writing a book on 15 Central Park West and has a blog, was the one who identified Mr. Holtz as a buyer.)
    He brings to four the number of identified individuals who have bought in so far.
    Richard Kringstein, co-owner of the Herman Kay Company, which makes women’s and men’s clothing, was the first to become known; he bought a three-bedroom residence for an undisclosed price.
    “It will make for good dinner conversation once we all move in, right?” Mr. Holtz told me this week.
    Mr. Barnett said that most buyers below the top 15 floors so far want the Extell finishes by the Danish designer Thomas Juul-Hansen, rather than to finish the spaces themselves.
    Some are not sure they will even move in. Mr. Holtz never lived in an apartment he bought at 15 Central Park West. Less than two months after closing on it for $4.86 million in early 2008, he flipped it for a $3.6 million profit.
    “This is going to be a hard one not to live in,” Mr. Holtz said of One57. “Maybe I will stay, maybe I won’t, maybe I’ll rent it. It really depends on what mood I’m in.”
    But up in the billionaires’ club, there is sure to be some commotion. To head off any grumbling, Mr. Barnett said he struck agreements with the full-floor purchasers that would allow Extell to do a lot of the “heavy work” — like stones, plasterboard and studs — while finishing the building. Extell is trying to accelerate construction so that the lower-floor residents can move in by the summer of 2013 and the owners on the upper floors can start moving in by the end of that year.

Next Page »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/30/re...ted=1&_r=0&hpw

Chances are I will never step foot in the building unless I win the lottery, but I guess the millionaires and billionaires all sit around and shoot snide comments at one another over any noise just like the rest of us. Turns out we are not so different after all!

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Default ^ Truthin'.

You meet the same types up and down the food chain.

Quote Originally Posted by stache View Post
    You meet the same types up and down the food chain.
    It's just the napkins that change quality.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Ha!

This does wonders for the skyline. What is that building U/C to the right?