Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Viaduc de Millau, Tallest Bridge

Default Viaduc de Millau, Tallest Bridge

When the two ends of the vertiginous Millau Viaduct in southern France were joined last month, it became the world's tallest bridge. Designed by Norman Foster of Foster & Partners, it connects the road from Paris to Barcelona over the Tarn River northwest of Montpellier. The deck - the part devoted to driving - will be 900 feet above the river when the project is completed next January (at the cost of $365 million). Foster & Partners sought minimum impact on the landscape. So screens designed to protect vehicles from strong gusts will be transparent. STEPHEN TREFFINGER

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company

www.viaducdemillau.com

http://www.fosterandpartners.com/int...asp?JobNo=0778

Wow and Creepy Kris
    Last edited by Kris; May 23rd, 2009 at 02:17 PM.

I like it, but I wish it was a rail bridge. Imagine going over that in a TGV... :shock:

Quote Originally Posted by Archit_K
    Wow and Creepy Kris
    what?
    Last edited by Kris; May 23rd, 2009 at 02:17 PM.

:shock: Totally awesome!

I wonder if they will let people jump from the bridge with a rope to that amazing abyss. I will do it! (even though I never done it before)

Construction photos:

How it will look when completed:

Those are some amazing pics

Forum Veteran

The one in the clouds is incredible. Great pics.

the cloud one looks like Sci-Fi.

As for the transparent windscreens, sometimes these environmentalists have no clue, don't they. The scale of the screens on something that large would be negligable, but yet somehow they think the transparent screens will make all the difference... :roll:

Foster & Partners sought minimum impact on the landscape. So screens designed to protect vehicles from strong gusts will be transparent.
    Maybe the screens are for a minimally obstructed view of the glorious countryside. Just a thought....

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending those damn environmentalists. :roll:

Environmentally minded architects then?

Picky picky.

the bridge is only about 10-15M high, it is like a thread. Putting transparent windscreens will not make the bridge itself transparent. The cables are bleeding obvious, I still see those huge piers as well.

If they could make the cables transparent then we would have something, until then, they are just finding way to add stuff...

"Foster & Partners sought minimum impact on the landscape." does not mean that they are looking for a way to give people a better view FROM the bridge, it is trying to make the bridge less visible......

Default Dictionary.com

landscape n 1. A portion of land or territory which the eye can comprehend in a single view, including all the objects it contains.

To infer that the landscape which will be minimally impacted, is any other than the view opened up by transparent windscreens is fallacious. Therefore, the obvious, (which you have stated), negligible impact caused by the reduction of the bridge's visual mass with the introduction of transparent windscreens, would lead one to either conclude that the windscreens are for motorists and their passengers, or that Lord Foster is an incompetent dolt, (which he is not).

I have tried here to be as clear as the aesthetic judgements of the afore mentioned master architect.

I can still see the bridge.

Therefore the landscape is impacted.

'Nuff said.

This one puts France back on the top for new architecture to impact the world.

Of course you assume that it will have been more cheaper to just put a road that would had gone down the hill then a smaller bridge across that stream and then go back up the hill.

What were they thinking?

To impress. :P

I am having trouble believing that it only cost $365 million. Perhaps that was the "original forecast." It's got to be in the billion-dollar range...

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime
    This one puts France back on the top for new architecture to impact the world.

Of course you assume that it will have been more cheaper to just put a road that would had gone down the hill then a smaller bridge across that stream and then go back up the hill.

What were they thinking?

To impress. :P
    I think so, but we don't have any clue about a few things, such as land ownership rights and the pitch of those hills.

I think maybe a slightly less elevated roadway would have been good as well, maybe not directly on the ground, but about 10-100M above. Sort of following the contours, but smoothing out the pitch to allow truck traffic a little break.

Regardless, I think they did a good job.

I DO think, however, that they should have done something to accent the "main" span a bit. It looks a bit too uniform for my tastes.........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast