Page 13 of 28 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

Thread: Manhattan West Project - Brookfield

http://www.bisnow.com/res.php?p=1601

ON DECK AT BROOKFIELD
    October 2, 2008

Brookfield Properties is chugging along with its gargantuan 5.4M SF Manhattan West mixed-use development, set to rise on one of the last available plots of land in Midtown—one that happens to fall partially over train tracks. But since you can’t exactly build two major office towers and a hotel in the path of locomotives, the firm is working with Amtrak and the LIRR to build a massive deck over the portion of the West Side rail yard adjacent to Farley Post Office (the future Moynihan Station). We went downtown to visit Brookfield US prez Dennis Friedrich for the latest.

The SOM-designed project falls among a slew of announced office space, including the new World Trade Center and neighboring Hudson Yards. But Dennis tells us that if they keep on pace and proceed with the deck, Brookfield can be on track to deliver the space in 2013. That’ll be two or three years ahead of competitors.

Dennis says three key factors give the project a boost: the current real estate cycle, though troubled, features no office overbuilding; built-out Midtown needs this logical extension; and Governor Patterson has voiced support for improving the area’s transportation structure, specifically the Moynihan Station development, which would enhance the Brookfield play. The firm is also in leasing chatter with Condé Nast Publications, which is on the ground with a 1.2-MSF requirement (we imagine the media giant wants to surpass the nouveau-iconic Hearst Tower). Not that Brookfield has a problem with tenancy: it boasts only a 2% vacancy in its entire Manhattan portfolio.

Manhattan West is the largest project for Brookfield’s ever-growing development platform, which includes Toronto’s Bay Adelaide Center, Calgary’s Herald Block and Washington D.C.’s 77 K Street, 1225 Connecticut and Two Reston Crescent. Manhattan West will take its place on Brookfield’s trophy shelf with its best known properties—One, Two, Three, and Four World Financial Center.

Future west side developments:

that view from the top looks amazing!

Bet these get chopped down substantially. Nothing but raised ranches in New York from here on out. It's the Manhattan of the future!

Did they forget the Girasole in that render?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

What a retarded ground level. In 2008, we are still building office towers with wind-swept plazas out front!!?

Hello? Did we get transported back to 1960 or something?

There will not be anyone on that block after 5 PM when all of the office workers have gone home except for a couple of security personnel and a janitor.

We are stupid.

I'm afraid the same thing will be said for the entire West Side. All the new office buildings look like that, the residential towers only offer Duane Reade's/bank branches, and the few old buildings that could support something interesting, are slated be wiped away.

How interesting could a place be with only Class A offices/tenants and luxury condos and rentals.

Thumbs up

Future west side developments:

The GiraSole and the Sherwood office tower close to it can also be added.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebola View Post
    The GiraSole and the Sherwood office tower close to it can also be added.
    thank god the economy put a stop to these pointless ugly developments that do nothing for the public or the city...

hopefully goldman sachs will be the last ugly tower of credit derivative kings built in NYC

We don't have a winning record of skyscraper designs improving as time goes on...
    They will be reborn fatter, squatter, and blander than before.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

What a retarded ground level. In 2008, we are still building office towers with wind-swept plazas out front!!?
    I must have missed that rendering showing the vast expanse of plaza facing onto Ninth Avenue.

Could you post it -- or a link to it? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenious View Post
    thank god the economy put a stop to these pointless ugly developments that do nothing for the public or the city...

hopefully goldman sachs will be the last ugly tower of credit derivative kings built in NYC
    I respect your opinion, but derivative kings are very much responsible for the disproportionate amount of construction that we have had in recent years. Although I am a Democrat, I fear that the newly elected Congress could go overboard in regulatory legislation that will deal a blow to NY and lead to a loss of business overseas.
    Last edited by londonlawyer; October 23rd, 2008 at 10:02 PM.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Instead of the sarcasm, you could have just gone back each page in this thread and you could have seen them for yourself.

The plaza might not be former WTC-type huge but they are still plazas and without ground floor mixed uses, they are characteristicly the same as the many 1950'-70's towers all over the city.

Now, did you really need me to tell you this?

maybe that huge parabola will break up the breezes?

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post

Instead of the sarcasm, you could have just gone back each page in this thread and you could have seen them for yourself.
    Please. You scream and moan and exclaim about a phantom plaza and then tell me to go find it myself.

I did look. There is NO plaza fronting onto Ninth.

There is a space between the towers over the area where 32nd Street would run -- if it existed on this double-block (which it doesn't).

So ... Where's the render of those "wind-swept plazas out front!!?" you're screaming about?

Some reason I thought anti was more referring to the lifeless bases of the towers and the lack of retail.

There is a plaza, but I'm not too bothered by it (as long as that's not the actual design). The towers are slightly offset from each other to enable some views past the neighboring tower.