Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Manhattan West Project - Brookfield

Any webcam from above for this site?

It's just amazing what you can do by stringing together a bunch of prefab concrete blocks. The ingenuity boggles my mind.

Is Brookfield going to be able to find tenants for these towers when Durst and Silverstein are struggling to do so?

I think these locations are 'better'.

Also, the profitability from the residential portion (and it's not mentioned, but it will almost assuredly happen first/in tandem with the other buildings) will make up for any shortfalls. Basically, when it comes to getting a mezzanine loan, you tell investors they'll get their 12-20% if they give you enough money to build it all. From there, Brookfield is a perfectly established national brand, and will have no problem getting the traditional financing portion of their capital stack.

Indeed. Brookfield is the big dog in the neighborhood. Plus they have migration channels with all their office tenants elsewhere in NYC and in North America.

Quote Originally Posted by RoldanTTLB View Post
    It's just amazing what you can do by stringing together a bunch of prefab concrete blocks. The ingenuity boggles my mind.
    I'm actually shocked at the spanning distance of the precast concrete sections. That's ambitious. Are there no supports mounted, down at track level? Because if not, then we've definitely come a long way in regards to engineering.

So they've been working on building foundations down there, but the deck itself seems to be all post-tensioned pre-fab concrete segments. The other major project I know of just wrapping up like this is the Silver Line down in DC. I don't know what the longest span there was. Let's see http://www.myfoxdc.com/story/2354277...#axzz2nCOeeN1o says the average span is 120 ft. But there's 500 ft from 31-33rd sts. Clearly the span is not the entire way, but it does seem like a step up from what was done in DC.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

1/21/13
    SOM in the Press
    BROOKFIELD’S MANHATTAN WEST BREAKS GROUND

Source: ArchDailyImage © SOM

New York City’s Midtown West will be experiencing a large makeover over the coming years. Shortly after Hudson Yards broke ground in late 2012, Brookfield Properties initiated the first phase of its 5.4 million-square-foot master plan for Manhattan West on the corner of 33rd Street and 9th Ave. Hovering over Penn Station’s Railroad tracks, an engineering feat will support two 60-story towers that will encompass residential and commercial functions, as well as public and community space.

http://beta.som.com/news/brookfields...breaks_ground/

SOM really went out of their comfort zone with that design. Memo to SOM, it's not 1970 anymore.

I think the architect design what the developers want. In the Middle East and Asia the same architects design much more interesting buildings.

Can someone teach me Photoshop so I can photoshop Houston onto the NY skyline and call myself an architect?

Maybe they can call that thing "Brookfield Place" and restore the perfectly-fine name "World Financial Center" to their downtown development.