Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Manhattan West Project - Brookfield

Thumbs up

4.7 million square feet is insane! Even for a huge plot of land, I imagine we'll be guaranteed at least one supertall. Very good news...glad someone is finally decking over those yards.

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman11686 View Post
    SJP Properties plans to break ground soon on a 40-story, 1.1 million-square-foot office tower at the southeast corner of 42nd Street and Eighth Avenue without a tenant.
    It's about time. That lot's been a disgrace for decades.

Quote Originally Posted by macreator View Post
    4.7 million square feet is insane! Even for a huge plot of land, I imagine we'll be guaranteed at least one supertall. Very good news...glad someone is finally decking over those yards.
    It has a tremendous location. The city's biggest transportation hub just one block away, and possibly MSG moving across the street. Too bad it couldn't be rezoned for limitless potential. I fear we might end up with a couple 800 foot whales with huge trading floor bases....see Goldman Sachs.

They should re-map 32nd street. Then there would be less footprint.

Quote Originally Posted by sfenn1117 View Post
    They should re-map 32nd street. Then there would be less footprint.
    Good idea.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

We should consider ourselves lucky if we get even 800 ft.

I'm afraid Community Board 4 might want to whittle it down to 600 ft. and ask for a public plaza of some sort.

Default negotiate about what?

If I read the article correctly, don't they already have air rights? I understand they would negotiate with future tenants, but where does the government come into play on this aside from basic public safety reviews, etc. And even the worst anti-nimby can't argue for landmarking an open pit, I hope at least. So, what can community board do to lower the building heights unless they actually rezone the area again (fat chance).

My hope is the public amenities described in the article is retail space (preferably high end). I don't think a plaza makes any sense there, but they need to make sure its not a dark gloomy walk to transit at night.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

^ I think you meant NIMBY, right?
    Leave my name out of this.

The Dude Abides

Public amenity might include some kind of infrastructure for the 7 line, possibly a walkway to either Javits or Penn/MSG (just pure speculation on my part).

As for the space: I hardly think 600 feet, or even 800 feet, would do here. Unless of course, Brookfield just put up one massive building whose floorplates were literally two blocks long. Think of the WTC: Tower 2 is 2.4 million square feet, Tower 3 is 2 million square feet. Those buildings are more than suitable for large trading floors. Combined height of the two buildings is between 2400 and 2500 feet. Not too shabby, and not at all out of the question for this site, I feel, if Brookfield wants to maximize their square footage.

How about a remap of 32nd street, a public park square on one of the newly created "blocks" and stack the 4.7 million square feet into one incredible supertall called Gotham Spire....hey...one can dream, right?

The Dude Abides

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing two separate buildings of similar height, in close proximity to each other. With this news, I'm just starting to realize the potential of the Hudson Yards area. If Vornado/Related ever get their acts together with the Penn Station plan, that area could be the second largest concentration of height in all of Manhattan.

Default sorry antinimby

Yes, I mean to say NIMBY in my previous email.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing two separate buildings of similar height, in close proximity to each other. With this news, I'm just starting to realize the potential of the Hudson Yards area. If Vornado/Related ever get their acts together with the Penn Station plan, that area could be the second largest concentration of height in all of Manhattan.
    I too am very optimistic for the area. If the Moynihan/MSG project and Penn Plaza revitalization ever get going, this area is really going to boom. Mix in a bit of residential and you've got a pretty promising district built literally out of nothing. You've got transit, you've got huge floorplates, and soon we'll have a 7 line extension. I'm really excited for what's to come.

I'm not sure when zoning/city planning kicks in, but in some of the Hudson Yards planning proposals the City had, I really liked the mix of park land they included that will hopefully make the area even more inviting.

a remapping of 32nd street would be completely pointless. it would dead-end at the west side of the postoffice/moynihan, and at the east side of the daily news building (which also runs from 31 to 33)...less than a full city block, from 9th, only 2/3rds of the way to 10th ave.
    maps.google.com folks. use it. its easy

i like the supertall / park idea though... lets go with that : )

Something really tall on that block to the west of Moynihan / Farley is definitely possible under the 2005 rezoning.

The Master Plan image seemingly shows a "re-mapping" of a pedestrian 32nd St. west of 9th Avenue (although it isn't shown as such on the Zoning Map).

A few visual reminders from City Planning on the 2005 re-zoning of Hudson Yards (pretend the stadium isn't there) ...

1) Master Plan
    2) Zoning Map
    3) Model (imagine some big buildings where MSG is now)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hudson Yards_MP 05_01.JPG 
Views:	327 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	2873   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hudson Yards_Zoning Map Amended_03.jpg 
Views:	309 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	2874   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hudson Yards Model.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	2875  

Vornado's done their homwork. It's Silver that's holding things back.

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast