Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Manhattan West Project - Brookfield

Quote Originally Posted by kliq6
    Brookfield will go first as all of the related/Vornado work is mainly tied to MSG moving, which wont happen as long as Dolans are involved, as they wont move unless there tax free status stays
    If I had to put money on it, I'd say MSG will get the break. Bloomberg has hinted that he would do what's best for the City (not that he'd be doing the Dolans a favor). Also, Bloomberg has been pushing hard for developments further on Manhattan's west side, and it would be a step in that direction. But I also think a new arena benefits MSG - tax break or not, so it could go either way.

Things are getting pretty interesting on 33rd Street. Now that the WTC planning is behind us, eyes will now shift to the mega-developments on that block.

Quote Originally Posted by NY Post
    Brookfield Properties, the real estate giant that owns the World Financial Center, plans a huge new office development across the street from the proposed Moynihan Station project, The Post has learned.

Brookfield is not waiting to see what happens with the Moynihan project. "They are actively marketing their site now, talking to major space users," a source said.

A source said Brookfield "has a year of planning and negotiations ahead" before it can build.

Brookfield owns the air above the tracks. It has agreements with Amtrak regarding construction dating back to when the site was owned by Olympia & York, which built the WFC and whose U.S. assets Brookfield acquired in 1996.

Brookfield's assemblage takes up nearly two-thirds of the superblock between Ninth and Tenth avenues, where there is no 32nd Street. It can support 4.7 million rentable square feet under new zoning.

With Midtown vacancies below 6 percent and demand strong, Brookfield is eager to get started. "They will not build on spec, but are considering a two-building or a three-building option depending on tenant interest," a source said.
    Those towers will be huge. So now the race is on between Brookfield and the Related/Vornado team to get huge office projects underway. It seems that Brookfield has the edge here but the Related/Vornado team has been marketing its plans to the business community as well. I'm pretty sure each team would like its development to be the new signature element of Midtown (like the WTC is for Downtown). We could have an Empire State vs. Chrysler-type situation in the works. But one thing is certain, both sides will have to work together on pedestrian circulation to and from the Penn Station hub.

Forum Veteran

yes but the Vornado team want to waste a prime corner on 33rd and eighth for a condo. Brookfield is a more aggressive developer and gets things done quicker, it took Vornado 10 years to finally decide to do something about ALexanders

Quote from an article in:
    http://www.newyorkbusiness.com/apps/...14016/1009/law

Eager developers grab land on far West Side
    5 million square feet of housing going up; hotels, offices seen

By: Julie Satow
    January 14, 2007

The development of 5 million square feet of housing, or nearly 40% of the total amount expected to be built there over the next three decades, is already under way. Nearly 1,000 hotel rooms are in the planning stages, and the construction of an office tower could begin later this year.

"I would expect that by the end of this year, there will be news of an office development at the Hudson Yards," says Daniel Doctoroff, deputy mayor of economic development.

One of the first office tower developments out of the gate is likely to be the Brookfield Properties project across from the James A. Farley Post Office. The company, which owns the World Financial Center, completed its acquisition of a big property on the west side of Ninth Avenue between West 31st and West 33rd streets late last year.

Brookfield has yet to secure a tenant or announce its plans. But some projects will go forward even without signed leases, says Eric Anton, a broker for Eastern Consolidated. "Developers are thinking of building speculative office buildings in the area," he says.

At least two major Manhattan tenants — Merrill Lynch and Viacom — are in the market for new office space. Mr. Doctoroff says that city officials have not spoken to Merrill about a possible move to Hudson Yards but have approached Viacom, which is looking for 1 million square feet.

Is it possible that these towers will be 80+ and 90+ floors?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

It is possible but I doubt they'll be that tall.

They'll try to make 'em fat.

i definitely have higher hopes for the msg site than for the brookfield site. quite literally.

Random Personality

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    It is possible but I doubt they'll be that tall.

They'll try to make 'em fat.
    There all gonna be fat, just look at how society is to begin with. What hope to we have for our office towers.

Forum Veteran

Ninth Avenue
    New York, New York Square Footage: 4,700,000

A super block along Ninth Avenue, Brookfield Properties' site extends from 31st to 33rd Street (there is no 32nd Street on this block) and comprises 4.7 million square feet of buildable density. Planning is underway for an office complex of three buildings and connecting public spaces, akin to Brookfield Properties' World Financial Center (New York), BCE Place (Toronto) or Bankers Hall (Calgary). A deck will be constructed over the railroad tracks which sit below-grade on a portion of the site.

Significant redevelopment is taking place in the neighborhood, including the expansion of the Jacob Javits Convention Center two blocks to the west and the redevelopment of the Farley Post Office directly across the street. The Farley building is being redeveloped as Moynihan Station, a new transportation facility which will enhance and extend Pennsylvania Station, New York City's most heavily-trafficked transit hub.
    Last edited by kliq6; March 6th, 2007 at 10:26 AM.

NY Post

FOUR TOWERS NEAR FARLEY
    BROOKFIELD STILL NEEDS ANCHOR

March 14, 2007

BROOKFIELD Properties is readying plans for four towers totaling 4.7 million feet at the rear of the Farley Post Office on the west side of Ninth Avenue between 31st and 33rd streets.

"It will be an awesome location," Ric Clark, Brookfield's CEO, said at the Young Men's and Women's Real Estate Association luncheon yesterday.

Clark said plans call for the east end of the plot to host two office towers sharing 4 million square feet while the west end will have two residential towers totaling 700,000 feet.

They hope to kick off marketing the northern office tower of 1.6 million square feet within the next few weeks, for delivery in late 2010. That process will begin with the sharing of new renderings now being prepared by Skidmore Owings Merrill.

While there's no anchor tenant yet, Clark said Brookfield is in discussions with "all the usual suspects" and expects rents to start in the $80 range.

Would they break ground without an anchor tenant? "Never say never," Clark said. "But we would need to know the Moynihan Train Station was going forward."

Forum Veteran

If they wait for that station, they will miss this commercial sector boom as there will already be competion from the three new towers on Eighth ave that are starting this year. They sat on Site 26 for 15 years and BPC just took it from them and gave it to Goldman, so they better be careful

^^
    I always have problems with the sqft numbers. Is there a building that has a similar footprint with 1.6 mil that I could compare this too? The bank of America on 42nd is around 2 mil? On a bigger plot? I expect a helpful diagram.

Hold on - 1.6 million for office tower one, 700,000 for both residential buildings combined ... and thus 2.4 million square feet for office tower number two?

BoA is 2.1 million, no? Sounds like this one has some potential, at least in height, if not in actual design.

It's usually all downhill from here.

Go to the website and see a fuller rendering. KPF are the architects.
    Advanced Media Design
    http://www.studioamd.com/
    Last edited by Derek2k3; July 7th, 2007 at 01:19 AM.

I just realized this isn't the Brookfield Site but the Sherwood Equities Site I proposal. I guess it could be moved here.

http://www.wirednewyork.com/forum/sh...?t=6235&page=2

Sherwood Equities somewhat updated their page on the tower. I counted around 72 floors plus the top.

Last edited by Derek2k3; July 7th, 2007 at 01:41 AM.

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast