Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Manhattan West Project - Brookfield

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    I just realized this isn't the Brookfield Site but the Sherwood Equities Site I proposal. I guess it could be moved here.
    Nice find there Derek. Instead of moving it to "Far West Side & Penn Station Area" I think this development deserves its own thread in Skyscrapers and Architecture.

NBA Tower
    400 West 33rd Street
    31 stories 486 feet
    Gwathmey Siegel & Associates
    Never Built

Here is the NBA Tower proposal at the SW corner of 9th & 33rd, designed by Gwathmey Siegal. The project was last shelved in 2001. Though the NBA planned to consolidate all of its offices in NJ & NY here, the community board rejected the proposal for being out of scale with the neighborhood, casting too long of a shadow, and having a dark useless plaza. Brookfield bought this site last year from Harvey Schulweiss to add to their southern parcels. The towers Brookfield will build, will be far larger than these thanks to the rezoning...take that nimbys.

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
    Older, 90's proposal for the same site...
    http://www.gwathmey-siegel.com/portf...?job_id=198620

You also get a glimpse to the left of Olympia & York's 750', Ninth Avenue Tower, that was to be designed by KPF.
    Last edited by Derek2k3; October 4th, 2007 at 12:48 AM.

The nimbys actually did something beneficial to the city for once.....that ugly thing was not built and a larger building can now go up.

Thank god that was not built, the tower behind it looks decent though.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

This, my friends, is a great example of a design with great massing versus one with a bad one.

Massing often times makes all the difference in the world.

I'll readily take that tower by KPF as WTC #5 right now. Naturally of course, the nice one won't get built but we'll probably get a dud for #5.

The shorter building looks like a circa 1980's Helmut Jahn reject. I'll never understand why Gwatemy Siegel is so well-regarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Stern View Post
    The shorter building looks like a circa 1980's Helmut Jahn reject. I'll never understand why Gwatemy Siegel is so well-regarded.
    I agree. Have you seen how lousy 240 PAS turned out?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

I'll take your word for it. You tend to have low standards, so if you think it's lousy then it's definitely got to be.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    I'll take your word for it. You tend to have low standards, so if you think it's lousy then it's definitely got to be.
    You should see my stds for women. I'll do anything!

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    You should see my stds for women.
    The life of a male street walker might sound exciting, but you end up spending all your money on body glitter and antibiotics.....

Banned Member

You should see my stds for women. I'll do anything!
    stds = sexually transmitted diseases?

I guess we're all off topic. The lines of that KPF look beautiful, but materials will make or break it. Do you think it is just a place holder or a in tune with the forthcoming design?

Brookfield's 4 tower placeholder can be seen here:

curbed.com

I hope that Brookfield persuades Merrill to anchor this project and to extend its lease at the WFC until this is ready. That would have the ancillary benefit of thwarting Vornado's plan to raze the Hotel Penn.

That would have the ancillary benefit of thwarting Vornado's plan to raze the Hotel Penn.
    NO, it would not. Vornado's plans for a tower is not a "Merrill Lynch" proposal. It's a site that's long been planned as the location of a 2msf (enlarged since then) office tower. Merrill Lynch was just the latest in a series of possible tenants. If they should decide to go elsewhere, it doesn't mean that tower is canceled, as it wouldn't for tower 3 at the WTC.

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast