Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: Manhattan West Project - Brookfield

Not bad. Since it seems likely that Hudson Yards will go to developers with anchor tenants (not Brookfield), we'll be seeing their HY SOM towers two blocks to the east. NIMBYs will be sure to make a fuss over their size, and will hopefully be ignored.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

^ Well, someone should tell those NIMBYs that if they're not allowed to build as big and as large as they can in places like this, then when the city do need to expand in the future, then they will have to do so at the expense of already developed sites (like the Hotel Penn, Drake, etc.) and in already developed areas of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post
    The buildings look surprisingly nice.
    Surprising is right but it's still kinda bland.

^I agree. Obviously glad they aren't straight up boxes, but the ground level looks very cold.

Still, let's get them built. The office space is needed and if built today would be the second tallest building in the city. Great stuff.

3mil plus sq feet and only 1200'???

Hey, 55 Water manages to pack 3.8 million into 687 feet. Not that that's a good thing.

Not straight wall boxes but the next worst thing....
    Monotnous, flat top and worst of all at 1200 feet it makes no decent contribution on the skyline, at least from that angle it doesnt look promising at all. If anthing These monstrocities will contribute nothing to the skyline except perhaps the southward expansion of that stupid midtown plateau.

The vast majority of SOM-NY building designs are a despicable joke on NYC's fabric. Cant they ust go bankrupt and fold, Im tired of the mediocrity that they give this city.

Last edited by TREPYE; February 22nd, 2008 at 12:51 AM.

It's not an expansion of the plateau when one tower is 1,200+ feet.

They will dominate the view from Jersey for just a short time til the railyards are built out.

1200+ foot flat top.

The top looks sloped to me (as well as curved on one side).

Don't worry TREPYE. This probably will not be the final version. It will most likely get redesigned to suit whoever the future tenants may be.

For instance, a financial firm might want a fat base.

Of course, I just hope that at that time, we won't actually wish for this design back again but there is always that possibility.

I know I'd like to see it built as is. If Boston Properties' tower on 8th ave had any torque in the design, I'd be thrilled.

I could live with this design although what bothers me a little (but not as much as reading that nauseating Times article about Kaufman ) is how SOM seems to get a large share of the commercial jobs right now.

This city's developers should look more at FoxFowle, Cook+Fox and Foster instead.

I have to admit I'm disapointed. Not with the height but with the design. Hopefully Brookfield loses its railyard bid and uses the design for the tower tandem there, here. Although essentially the same the railyard duo is far more dynamic and vastly superior. Also whats up with the height? The south building is 6 storeys more but 300 feet taller?

I can live with the current design...its clean. I don't expect much from SOM's US designs. When I visit their website I see more creativity for international projects.

Disappointed. It's one curved facade away from being awful. This would be the most boring building over 1000' in the world. It sticks out literally like a sore thumb. I hope there is a redesign, this one is a dumbed down version of the first we saw which was barely adequate, so they're heading in the wrong direction.

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast