Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: South Street Seaport Neighborhood Development

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

The chain-linked fence looks bad. Need to use some other, more attractive fencing.

For an extension on a little known, but quite attractive park, you're correct, it's unfortunate that they went with chain link. I don't get that. Even if it were painted black it'd look better.

Love the seaport area. Hope the museum gets straightened out. I always thought a shipwreck museum would be a nice addition to the neighborhood and a popular tourist destination.

254 Front Street by Morris Adjmi

This came out ok. I'm really liking the industrial style steel "awning." The Seaport confuses me the way DUMBO does, though. It's a place that is clearly in demand based on prices, and yet has a number of questionably blank plots of land. It's not a big neighborhood. I'm really curious how it is it's not completely built out.

254 Front St

The windows are maybe a little too deep, but it turned out nice.

It's a tight squeeze
    http://www.tribecatrib.com/news/2012...t-project.html

267-and-a-half Water Street

246 Front Street

Default 54 Fulton Street

The unsightly garage on Fulton Street might be on its way out.

BuzzBuzzHome
    http://news.buzzbuzzhome.com/2013/12...54-fulton.html

Brauser Group developing 23-story FiDi project at 54 Fulton
    By: Joyce Chen December 30, 2013

Image: GMAP
    Manhattan garage owner The Brauser Group is erecting a new building at one of its parking properties in the Financial District.
    A 23-story mixed-use development will rise at 54 Fulton Street, on the corner of Cliff Street, according to a plan exam application filed December 23rd. The architect of record is Goldstein, Hill & West. The 120-unit building will measure a total of 101,736 square feet.
    The project includes storage, bike storage, a gym, first-floor retail, a lounge and a game room on the 23rd floor.
    Brauser has owned the Fulton site since the 1980s, according to public records.
    In August, Brauser sold a 50,000-square-foot parking facility at 17 East 12th Street to Rigby Asset Management, The Real Deal reported. Rigby is converting the garage into an 11-story, 9-unit residential building, according to a plan exam application filed July 19th.
    The buyer paid $50.24 million for the property, which translates to more than $1,000 per square foot — the highest price ever for a condo conversion site, The Real Deal reported.

That is definitely one ugly pile of parking, and won't be missed.

I always liked the florist in the ground floor, but the garage is terrible for Fulton st in general, and it really does have to go. Unfortunately, this will probably not be a better building than 40 Gold around the corner.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

The ground level appears to have lots of colorful, old school retail. The retail in the new building will probably be a bank branch or remain empty due to high asking rents.

I mean, yeah. It's a shoe repair shop, a Kosher snack stand, a florist, and a non-kosher snack stand. In that order from south on cliff st to west on Fulton (and the snack stand has an incredible hand painted ad for the bar across cliff street from it on it's rolldown). Anyway, there are a variety of under-utilized, non-prime pieces of real estate in the area for the smaller businesses, but I'd be lying if I said I'd miss any of them other than the florist. I always liked the shoe guys in 60 Wall.

Of course the developer could put in small retail spaces and specifically go for useful neighborhood shops. But that's not how those guys think.

Outrageous behavior at SSS by Howard Hughes Corporation, proving that this Texas developer is no friend to local established businesses still trying to recover from Superstorm Sandy ...

HHC PUTS FOOD TRUCKS ON FULTON STREET, KIOSKS ON WATER STREET

Downtown Post
    May 23, 2014
    By Terese Loeb Kreuzer

The Howard Hughes Corporation has placed food trucks and picnic tables on Fulton Street in the South Street Seaport. (Photos: Barbara Mensch)

William Zafiros and Aristotle Hatzigeorgiou showed up at Community Board 1's Seaport/Civic Center Committee meeting on May 20 to talk about a seasonal liquor license for B and T Fulton, LLC and food trucks. The request for a license to sell liquor at two outdoor locations on Fulton Street in the historic South Street Seaport was expected. The food trucks were not.

"We're curating food trucks," they explained. "Every day, there will be around eight different food trucks." They said they would be "scattered throughout the Seaport in the cobblestoned area." They also said that they wanted to open by Memorial Day weekend.

The committee had questions. "
    Do the food trucks have to be turned on?" Michael Kramer asked. "Are the motors running the whole time? Have you done an environmental impact study of the idling?"
    "I think the food trucks draw power from some of the buildings. I think," Zafiros replied.

"I'm a little concerned," said Deron Charkoudian, a member of the committee. "We're tight on space. Where are the food trucks going to go, exactly?"

He was told that the trucks would go to the left of the picnic tables on Front Street and below them on Fulton Street - where the food stands were last year.

The committee still wasn't buying this.

Zafiros and Hatzigeorgiou said that The Howard Hughes Corporation, the Dallas-based developer with a long-term lease on parts of the South Street Seaport, had asked them to arrange for the food trucks because "there was no place else to eat."

"We're a neighborhood where food trucks just come together and gather on Fulton Street to serve food until 1 a.m.?" said committee member Jason Friedman, who lives in the South Street Seaport. "It's not the nicest thing in the world." He wanted to know why Howard Hughes hadn't created permanent restaurant spaces on Fulton Street.

Representatives of The Howard Hughes Corporation were supposed to be at this Seaport Committee meeting, but did not attend.

"It's outrageous that Hughes isn't here," said Kramer. "This is our only chance to comment on the Hughes plan." He observed that a diagram showing where the trucks might go seemed completely erroneous, with construction fences and picnic tables taking up much of the indicated space.

He also noted that, "The Old Seaport Alliance has all these restaurants in the area." Within three blocks of Fulton Street are Fresh Salt, Il Brigante, Barbalu, Nelson Blue, Jeremy's Ale House, Acqua, Suteishi, The Paris Cafe, Cowgirl Seahorse, the Mark Joseph Steakhouse and several other restaurants.

"I suggest that you guys not proceed without coming back to us on the truck issue because the pollution, the noise, the issues, are relevant," said committee member Paul Hovitz. "We do want to bring people in, we do want to want to have services for them - but we do have other restaurants. The trucks are really a problem."

However, on Friday, at the start of the Memorial Day weekend, the trucks were on Fulton Street, and, as the committee feared, blocking much of it, including the intersection with Water Street where the South Street Seaport Museum's shops, Bowne Printers and Bowne Stationers, are located.

In addition, Howard Hughes had placed kiosks on Water Street near the Bowne shops, a block that had previously preserved its historic ambiance.

According to a new Marketplace lease signed with the New York City Economic Development Corporation on June 27, 2013, Howard Hughes apparently does have the right to erect "mobile or impermanent vending units" in parts of the South Street Seaport, but according to a diagram accompanying that lease, that right would not extend to the museum block on Water Street. Nor would it include permission to block the Water Street and Front Street intersections or to place vending units in front of landmarked Schermerhorn Row.

On the afternoon of May 23, Hovitz sent an email to the other members of the Seaport Committee saying that he had just been informed that the food trucks were already present on Fulton Street despite the committee's request to hold off.

"I believe we need to strongly object and oppose placement of food trucks on the basis of congestion, air pollution, and detracting business from established Seaport restaurants and food services," he wrote. "Let's do a resolution to place before the full board next week."

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast