Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Sky House - 11 East 29th Street - Condo - Flatiron - by FX Fowle

Quote Originally Posted by kz1000ps View Post
    Can anyone think of a bigger blank concrete wall than this?
    Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage View Post
    Looks like a prison from the east. Architect should be embarrassed.
    Now that the code has made scissor stairs illegal, you can expect to see more blank walls.

(Another case where you could quite justly direct your ire somewhere besides the architect.)

I thought the restrictions on scissor stairs only applied to office buildings of a certain size. But you're right... the developer, site size, budget are factors in these blank walls. I like this building from the west... particularly because it overshadows its neighbor with the ridiculous crown.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Thanks for pointing that out ablarc. I definitely did not know about that.

We can now know where to the point the finger at: building codes.

Scissor-stairs are illegal in NYC for buildings with floorplates over 10,000 square feet.

In addition, there are requirements for impact and fire isolation between the two stairwells (one-hour firewall, I think). This adds to cost, but doesn't appreciably impact the square footage.

It's only safety, so what the hell.

Skyhouse is a far cry from 10,000 sq ft plates. You can see that it does in fact uses scissor stairs (the two entrances to the stairwell show this):

So it goes back to the architect. Could have clustered the elevators and stairs in the center and added some nice window views to the east.

The catch-22 is for another building to block that massive concrete wall a nice pre-war building would have to come down.

Any "window views to the east" in the Sky House would have been lot line windows. The full blockfront jsut to the east of Sky House along Madison now houses three older buildings all of which abut the east facade of Sky House. All three are nice to my eye, but undoubtedly they're underbuilt per allowable zoning and there's the possibility that they will come down and something else larger will rise there in the future -- and which has the potential of covering up any east facing windows at Sky House. Hence the vast expanse of newly-painted brown concrete.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

But they wouldn't be able to build it up as high. Realize that the Sky House is only as tall as it is because it's using all of the Church's air rights and distributing it in a smaller plot on which it is on.

That plus the future architect of the potential building to its east may not design their tower in such a way as to cover up Sky House's blank wall. 11 TS and the Hilton next door is an example.

Here's a full floor layout that shows how the blank wall is utilized. Besides the stairwell - elevators, trash chute, and two bathrooms.

Have all the condos in this building sold?

I'm interested in the convertible 3 BR A Line condos.

Exclamation Sky House: news article

Quote Originally Posted by mercuricoxide View Post
    Have all the condos in this building sold?
    Some news here.

Also, just for fun - see the typo: "what makes a new york bachelor BAD?."

EXCERPT: Mr. Bennett said he tried to mix contemporary pieces with industrial and Danish Modern to achieve the “push and pull between old and new.”
    What really makes a bachelor bad is the added bells and whistles, explained Tom Beaumont, the CEO of House Systems, the company that installed the integrated media system in the model apartment.
    “Nowadays the entertainment system is a major wow factor because it lures the opposite sex, or same sex if you’re so inclined,” Mr. Beaumont said. “We’re catering to a Wall Street banker, a broker with disposable income, who doesn’t want to go to a chain electronic store, but wants a customized sound system installed for him.”

http://www.observer.com/2008/bachelor-pad
    Last edited by infoshare; January 18th, 2009 at 01:00 AM.

LOL -- it's a fitting mistake, eh?

It will be interesting to see how companies (such as Mr. Beaumont's House Systems) that serve only the very rich burdened with so-called "disposable income" fare in 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    That's the most flattering photograph of Skyhouse that I've seen... like an undetailed Downtown Athletic Club:

credit: http://picasaweb.google.com/stgcomm

Wink Sky House

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post

It will be interesting to see how companies .... that serve only the very rich burdened with so-called "disposable income" fare in 2009.
    Yes, I think it would be a safe assumption to say that those "high-end" service providers will see a dramatic decline in business.

That being said - according to the comments in article - the building "has sold about" 50% of the units; so apparently there are still plenty of folks out there with a hefty "disposable income".

That sales percentage may be only broker PR, but I would not be surprised if the claim were true.

P.S. Seeing those photos; the aesthetics on this building if fine by me - and it is particularly nice to see brickwork. Well, anyway it gets my 'good architectural design' seal of approval: for whatever that's worth. (LOL)
    Last edited by infoshare; January 18th, 2009 at 12:07 PM.

People who had a lot of money before the "recession" generally still have a lot of money. Not to mention a lot of this type of apartments also sell to foreigners who are not going to use it as primary occupancy. The uncertainty of where the markets go from here might be a dampening factor for investor-buyers as well, but all in all I think New York real estate is still a good target for a lot of foreigners.