Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Sky House - 11 East 29th Street - Condo - Flatiron - by FX Fowle

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    So what explains the design decision to build an ~ 50-story expanse of blank brick wall up the entire west facade overlooking the church

\/

Same idea. They told me that it was because something could one day be built over on that side of the street closer to 30th which would take away from the views. The idea was to preserve value by taking into account future developments, hence the small windows over on that side of the building. Those units have large windows facing north, where views won't be blocked.

Aha -- I'd always assumed that nothing would go up there -- but looking again at a map I see there is the possiblity that another tall (~ 50 story) buillding will go up on the north side of the block along the north property line of the Church and abutting the north wing of SH -- and thus together enclosing the Church property on both the north and east ...

Folks who buy at Sky House should be aware of that -- and enjoy their fantastic views of the ESB while they can (one of the biggest plusses of this building). Another tower next door will wipe out the views for any of the units in the southern wing of SH.

Banned Member

I'm liking the building too. That wall is diappointing, but 325 Fifth makes this wall seem tame. 325 Fifth is an architectural crime scene.

I recently purchased a 1 bedroom apartment at sky house and I read this forum a lot before making that decision. Yes, the large expanses of blank walls aren't the most beautiful things in the world (although the apt I purchased was the "B" line which is the middle portion of the building) but I understand why they had to do those as I pointed out in my previous posts. And maybe I would have liked some outdoor space, but otherwise I felt that the apts they were offering were a really great deal (starting at a little over 1000 a square foot, and more like 1100 for the floor I purchased) with some really nice layouts and lots of light. The finishes in the apt were significantly nicer than some of the other new developments that I looked at over the last few months (in particular the kitchen - I found that a lot of the new developments were trying to be too modern and just ended up looking cheap), and overall I really like that neighborhood and think that in the next few years it will really change for the better. I like being near Madison square park, and it's really quiet over there by the church which will be a welcome relief from the ambulances I hear all night now.

Still, there are some people on this forum and others who seem to have really strong opinions against this building and I'm wondering what, specifically, those problems are. It's fine if you don't like the way the building looks, but then out of curiosity, can you post an example of the type of building that you would like to see instead?

i remember getting a price list... and while the price was lower per sq foot, the maintenance and post 421a abatement taxes were high.. also i personally didnt like the fact that it was in the middle of the block.. but i agree, i think it will be a nice addition to the area.
    Last edited by jennicak; February 9th, 2007 at 10:19 AM. Reason: spelling

At 588', this will be taller than the Belvedere (the pink crap in the center; 554') and very thin. Also, soon will rise The Saya (604') and 400 Park Ave. South (475').

hale_popoki
    1-16-07

There are 470,000 square feet of development potential in the Metlife Building complex and I'm waiting any day now for a proposal to finish 11 Madison Avenue. Anyone know if zoning could even still allow it?
    Last edited by Derek2k3; February 11th, 2007 at 12:24 PM.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    400 Park Ave. South (475').
    Meanwhile, in the span of the past few years that we've been discussing about this beauty, a good dozen or more McSams have not only sprouted up but are open for business already.

This world is so twisted.

I'm waiting any day now for a proposal to finish 11 Madison Avenue. Anyone know if zoning could even still allow it?
    Is that the shorter of the two? The one that was supposed to be 100 stories but was never finished during the depression? If so, I am always wondering if they can finish it off. I guess if it gets sold then it is a possibility?

Does anyone have the offering plan for SKY House?

Default Obviously the wall is the elevator/stair core

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    I'm liking the building too. That wall is diappointing, but 325 Fifth makes this wall seem tame. 325 Fifth is an architectural crime scene.
    Such a skinny tower site, it has to be the core pushed to one side to maximize views/layouts. On edit, it may be a structural shear wall, required to stiffen a slender building like this.

I like the vertical ribbed portion a lot, and the massing of the forms a lot. It reminds me of the early Chicago Style brick towers wih heavy rusticated piers. Very strong. Too bad they did use a form like that over the blank wall to hide it. Instead, the horizontal floor bands read. Obviously done to save $$$. This will be much better than the POS down the street, The Epic
    http://www.theepic.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SilentPandaesq View Post
    Is that the shorter of the two? The one that was supposed to be 100 stories but was never finished during the depression? If so, I am always wondering if they can finish it off. I guess if it gets sold then it is a possibility?
    Yup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28newyorkcity-metropolitianlife.jpg 
Views:	449 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	3574  

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

OMG that tower would have been fantastic!

Yup.
    i used to work in this building. 11 madison. loved it. lobby is beautiful too. all marble and gold with some beautiful 7 foot high paintings of dead presidents. you guys should stop by and peek in one day.

I was wondering how Sky House is selling do any of you know?

Yup.
    Sweet Mama Jamma - That would have been "super sweet" To think that the ESB would have had a partner 10 blocks south....damn depression. Does anyone know who owns this building?

Is there any talk of finishing this one off ? (oh thats never going to happen - it would be too cool... NYC dosen't do 'cool' any more, I am sure someone would protest)

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast