Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 120 West 57th Street - by Harry B. Mulliken : The demise of a beauty

Default 120 West 57th Street - by Harry B. Mulliken : The demise of a beauty

The impending loss of this beauty was addressed in some thread in connection with an image for a new hotel for the site posted on Cetra Ruddy's website.

When I was in NY for a day, I saw signs for the tenant's going out of business sale.

The following article in the June 3, 2009 edition of Curbed is further evidence of this sad loss.

http://therealdeal.com/newyork/artic...for-uws-garage

As I have lamented, this is a barbarous city. This gem gets razed and yet the POJ Directors' Guild remains, together with numerous empty holes on 57th Street. This loss is even sadder than the old automat which was replaced by a POJ.

The Willow Hotel Group are the filthy schmucks who will raze this gem.

They make me naseous.

http://www.willowhotels.com/willowho.../shoreham.html

Banned Member

Who knows what the interior looks like, but that facade should be preserved.

I agree, BR. There is no reason to raze this.

So it looks like demolition is starting. They have a permit from last month hinting of it.

This hotel is soon to be gone, Shelly's is gone, yet the Director's Guild building still stands. Tough luck for this part of town, However, I walked from the Battery to 125th St and can still confidently say this city is still amazing. Perhaps Midtown should only be viewed from a distance though.

The rendered building is around 30 floors by the way, so there's the developers justification.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    So it looks like demolition is starting....This hotel is soon to be gone, Shelly's is gone, yet the Director's Guild building still stands. Tough luck for this part of town, However, I walked from the Battery to 125th St and can still confidently say this city is still amazing. Perhaps Midtown should only be viewed from a distance though....
    This really F..KING SUCKS. This building is stunning. NY really is such a f..cked up place that's looking shi.ttier by the day.

The city is not looking shittier when one takes into consideration all the renovated buildings, new parks, and good buildings that have gone up on parking lots.

A handful of projects in Midtown that get a lot of attention on this board are not representative of the entire city.

Hi, amigo.

Why are you so defensive? As I said in another post, if I didn't care about NY, I wouldn't be so irate about the loss of these buildings. For example, I don't care what Chicago razes because I don't care about Chicago. Sadly, more beautiful buildings will continue to be razed and replaced with lame glass boxes. At least there would be some consolation if London-quality buildings rose in the place of razed gems, but when unimaginative glass boxes are built, I find it extremely disheartening.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

^ That should be something one expects to see proposed on Park Ave in 1965, not Eighth Ave in 2010.

What a joke.

It's really hard to be optimistic about Midtown. So sad to see one of the world's great places perishing before our eyes in a Fifth Ave-becomes-Sixth sort of way.

NY is a pathetic POS. What a f.cking joke of a city. It's becoming the Houston of the north -- but extremely expensive and with crap weather. This POS, together with Extell's 1,000 foot ode to mediocrity, will continue to ruin 57th Street.

Roman & Williams, the upstart interior design firm (the Standard Hotel, the Ace Hotel, Gwyneth Paltrow's place) co-founded by Hollywood set designers Robin Standefer and Stephen Alesch, has deftly avoided backlash from the preservation crowd. When they designed their first ground-up building, in history-rich Nolita, R&W came up with a building that managed to blend in beautifully with 150-year-old tenements while still looking new and fresh. But 211 Elizabeth was a runt compared to 120 West 57th Street, the firm's just-announced 30-story hotel in Midtown, and there will no doubt be some lingering hard feelings over what had to die so that this blockbuster could live.

curbed.com
    Last edited by londonlawyer; September 16th, 2010 at 01:43 PM.

Look on the bright side. Curbed reports that the architect of record for this project is ... Gene Kaufman.

But DOB shows nothing for Kaufman here. Or for Demo. Or a New Building.

Instead DOB shows a Permit Issued on 7.16.2010 for:

GENERAL CONSTRCUTION AND STRUCTURAL MODIFICATIONS TO THE FACADE NO CHANGE IN U S EGRESS OR OCCUPANCY

Architect: NOBUTAKA ASHIHARA ASSOCIATES

It could be that they're not taking all of the old building down, but rather chopping it part way and then building up from what's left of the existing structure (ala the Mondrian Soho at 150 Lafayette)

Some bad news: They got a STOP WORK ORDER on 9.13.2010

It appears that all of the old building will be demolished. This is sad. I admired that building for years.

Not officially demolished. Given the info at DOB it's more likely to be stripped, chopped and then vertically enlarged.

That's no comfort. All of the beautiful details are gone in the rendering. The Taliban rule NY. If we had the Baymian Buddhas, they'd be long gone too.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast