Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 130 Cedar Street - Renovation & Addition - World Center Hotel

According to their website they are now open. True?

Club Quarters, World Trade Center

Opening October 2009
    Plus this:

Is there a restaurant?

All Club Quarters have a restaurant and bar, but hours are limited on weekends in some locations.
    While all Club Quarters are private, all the restaurants are open to the public with the exceptions of Club
    Quarters, Midtown, whose restaurant and bar is for Members and guests only.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    I thought the windows were wrong, but I was wrong.

The windows are right, for the new facade.

But now the whole thing is wrong.

My jaw dropped when I saw this. What are they thinking? The building was in quiet harmony with 90 West.

Unfortunate as it is, I think that this may have been done to achieve LEED certification and the "secure, quiet atmosphere."

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    According to their website they are now open. True?

Plus this:
    It definitely does not look open as of today. There's still fairly heavy construction work going on.

Default Open?

It looks like the full opening is not far off.

Curbed tipsters are reporting that the hotel has partially opened amid ongoing construction.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	club1.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	145.5 KB 
ID:	7866   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLUB2.jpg 
Views:	250 
Size:	136.7 KB 
ID:	7867   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CLUB3.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	7868  

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

I could live with that base but the glassy addition up top looks awful.

For some reason (actually to be precise it is probably due to lack of design talent), outside of the Hearst Tower, most additions in this city are usually botched.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    I could live with that base but the glassy addition up top looks awful.

For some reason (actually to be precise it is probably due to lack of design talent), outside of the Hearst Tower, most additions in this city are usually botched.
    I caught the photo of Lofter1 over on 130 Liberty post 1101 and I wondered what that piece of crap was? I searched around on a map and came up with this address.

Now I know where all the Grumman Cheese Box Buses went to. Some of them got recycled and welded together and covered with the old inner silver wrappers of Hershey bars - and slam dumped on top of this cash cow hotel.

That architecture is obscene. I hope somebody with an eye for anything not ugly and connected with this whole WTC rebuild thing forces the people who buy 130 Liberty and builds there - forces them to buy the air rights to the top seven stories of UGLY and remove those floors.

The top ten stories of 90 West, the terra Cotta is a work of art and could only be appreciated from a distance that it has from 130 Liberty and at that height of 17 -20th floors.

Forum Veteran

1010WINS.com

Looking out a window of the hotel which overlooks 'Ground Zero'/AP Photo
    Posted: Sunday, 07 March 2010 1:30PM

Ground Zero Hotel Wants to Attract WTC Tourists

NEW YORK (AP) -- Looking down into the construction site covering the 16 acres where the World Trade Center once stood, some might see a place shadowed by death.

But Cheryl Palmer sees a rebirth, and a business opportunity. She's vice president of Club Quarters Inc., the company opening the World Center Hotel, and as far as she's concerned, the property's location on the edge of the site of the Sept. 11 attacks is a selling point.

"People choose to be here because they want to be close to it. They want to feel it, they want to celebrate. They want to remember," she said, standing by an open-air patio overlooking the site. "We have a very accessible view on it."

The hotel, which began taking reservations last month, offers some rooms with floor-to-ceiling windows that open directly onto the construction. Guests and members will have access to the restaurant patio with views of giant cranes, jackhammers and metal scaffolding.

It seems to be the first area hotel to use its proximity to the site as a marketing strategy. The carefully chosen name telegraphs the hotel's location to prospective guests. And visitors to the hotel Web site are greeted by construction photographs and memorial images.

The Millenium Hilton nearby offers similar views from most of its rooms, which were devastated in the collapse of the twin towers and then rebuilt in the following years. With 85 percent of the hotel's current employees carrying with them memories of working there at the time of the attacks, it still feels too soon to incorporate ground zero into its marketing plan, said Jan Larsen, general manager of the hotel.

"People are sensitive to maybe being perceived as taking advantage of a tragedy by utilizing that in any kind of promotional information," Larsen said. "We still get customers here who didn't realize we were across the street from ground zero, and they get emotional about it."

Some, Larsen said, say that had they realized the location of the hotel, they would not have chosen to stay there.

But Club Quarters is making a bet that, for many, the site of the attacks is already becoming more what it will be, and less a shadow of what it was. The scar of metal and concrete gated off from the rest of the city will soon be brightened by trees to be planted before the 10th anniversary of the attacks, Palmer is quick to note. And the public memorial is set to open in 2011.

"They will have all those mixed emotions. But I think at the end of the day what people leave here with is the rebuilding," Palmer said.
    Driving up to the hotel, Greg McKinless was excited to see how close to the construction he would be, he said as he checked in one day last week.

"I thought, 'Gee, wouldn't it be neat to be up on the sixth or seventh floor and really see the work in progress?'" the Baltimore salesman said. "You could say it's depressing, but you could also say it's been nine years, the Freedom Tower is going up and there's going to be a memorial. We're looking toward the future."

For guests with the right view, the construction can be a 24-hour spectacle. The yellow bulldozers and workers in hardhats continue their work all day and night. The hotel has installed special soundproof windows that keep out much (though not all) of the noise. And dark curtains block the light from the work.

For now, the restaurant and patio are still a construction site. Most floors in the hotel have yet to be completed. The lower part of the building's shell is all that remains of the office building that was destroyed in the terrorist attack.

With 169 planned rooms (introductory rates as low as $99 on weekends and $179 weekdays) and corporate apartments, the hotel's planners would need to attract only a fraction of the nearly 4,000 people who visit the 9/11 Memorial Preview Site each day. Once the official memorial is open, officials estimate 7.1 million people will visit it in the first year.

Meanwhile, the view the new hotel affords of the site is an unusual one. With the fencing around much of the site blocking sightlines of the construction, camera-wielding tourists can be seen throughout the neighborhood craning their necks and trying to get a better look. The National September 11 Memorial & Museum directs frustrated visitors indoors, where they've set up a live-camera view of the site for those who want to see the rebuilding.

After climbing some steps in a fruitless effort to see inside the pit, Josh Rowlands said he would be glad to have a view over the site from his hotel room.

"You want to be able to see what's going on after you've traveled all this way," said the 23-year-old from Adelaide, Australia.
    But not all are convinced they would want their vacation vista to include this particular construction site.

"I wouldn't stay there," Michael Meindorfer said on his visit to ground zero from Frankfurt, Germany. "To go everyday and come home and see something like this. ... It's sad."

TM & Copyright 2010 CBS Radio Inc. and its relevant subsidiaries. CBS RADIO & EYE Logo TM & Copyright 2010 CBS Broadcasting Inc. Used under license. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. TheAssociated Press contributed to this report.

Seems a little tasteless using 9/11 as a marketing tool. I'll stick with the Hilton. Better view, anyway.

Let the illegal peddlers work inside of their lobby!

Thumbs down Crass marketers.

They trashed a terrific old building with a garbage re-facing.

If that weren't bad enough, look at how they put together words on their website:

... this downtown New York City hotel opens with unfettered views of the rising Freedom Tower and National 9/11 Memorial & Museum. Located at the southern edge of the World Trade Center rectangle ...
    "Rectangle"

"unfettered"

Curious name chosen - the World Center Hotel. Almost like an attempt to avoid a copyright infringement.

Straddling the fence on a tacky marketing ploy.

The building sort of does the same thing. The ground floor is good quality - polished gray granite and black marble. For the rest of the building - if they wanted to mimic limestone, they could have used a precast product. Up close, it looks like what it is - plastic.

Yeah this is bad...

These "developers" are real a_holes. Where the hell was Julie Menin who complained loudly about 90 West Street? Why didn't she oppose this travesty? (Granted, I'd like to nail her.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast