Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pedicabs

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    ^ No one has ever died in a cab?
    So it's ok to legalize a death trap just because a few have died in cab belonging to an established industry (100 years come 2007)...

Pedicab is no match for a car or any moving motor vehicle for that matter...The only accident that I know of was not with a cab, it was with a bus.. Imagine riding in one and getting hit by a bus...

And one more thing.. A recent study put NYC yellow cab drivers as safest out of all the professional drivers in this city.. So I don't buy any argument trying to paint us unsafe....
    Last edited by milleniumcab; December 18th, 2006 at 11:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by milleniumcab View Post
    So I don't buy any argument trying to paint us unsafe....
    ...and I wasn't selling one, milleniumcab.

My point was that banning a mode of transport because of its potential for an occasional fatality would have the effect of eliminating all transport.

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc View Post
    ...and I wasn't selling one, milleniumcab.

My point was that banning a mode of transport because of its potential for an occasional fatality would have the effect of eliminating all transport.
    And my point is that if allowed to run through the streets of NYC, I have no doubt pedicabs will prove themselves to be the deadliest transportation form, in time....

Quote Originally Posted by ManhattanKnight View Post
    [IMG]
    This is a ridiculous debate. Does anyone honestly believe that this contraption (or even the more typical pedicab) is competition for a yellow cab??? Should we also outlaw the Central Park horse carriages?

These two different forms of transportation form two very different markets. I use yellow cabs all the time and have had a 99% positive experience. I have nothing against them. But excluding pedicabs, which don't pollute the air, which service NYC's very important tourist market, and which don't run over people and kill them, and which take up much less space on the streets, is ridiculous. This industry should be regulated for purposes of public safety but otherwise allowed to exist.

^^^^^^^^ ......

Quote Originally Posted by BPC View Post
    This industry should be regulated for purposes of public safety but otherwise allowed to exist.
    It looks like pedicabs will be regulated but the PARTY or SPIDER BIKES will be taking off the road...

Forum Veteran

milleniumcab,

Are you really threatened by competing with pedicabs? Seems like a very different market to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    milleniumcab,

Are you really threatened by competing with pedicabs? Seems like a very different market to me.
    How different is it?...Any mode of transportation is my competition. The buses, subway, black cars, livery cars are all competition. But they all have their own slices of the pie. The pedicabs are gonna be biting into my slice which is street hails... The law says street hails are for yellow cabs.. Pedicabs are doing the same.. To this day I have not seen them at the bus stops or subway entrances.. But they are at Penn Station, Grand Central, in front of the hotels, Times Square, 5th Avenue at taxi stands..

It might be hard to understand for most of you but with purchasing or leasing a medallion comes the exclusive right to pick up street hails.. That's all I am saying...I am just trying to protect my interest..

Pedicab drivers pay lip service to pedestrians or red lights, squeezing between moving cars; the ride looks extremely unsafe for its passengers, and probably is. They should be allowed in Central Park only.

I admit I have a problem

mc, if you really think pedicabs are a threat to your business, maybe you should invest in them as a hedge ...

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

^ Good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Pedicab drivers pay lip service to pedestrians or red lights, squeezing between moving cars; the ride looks extremely unsafe for its passengers, and probably is. They should be allowed in Central Park only.
    Key word here is "looks."

Legislation just because something "looks" unsafe.

Wow.

Pedicabs are hardly a threat to the city when you have private cars blazing up and down the streets. Let's see the city bring congestion charging to the table and then we should worry about pedicabs busting someone's chops.

Quote Originally Posted by 212 View Post
    mc, if you really think pedicabs are a threat to your business, maybe you should invest in them as a hedge ...
    Now , here is an advice with a sense of humor.. .. Then again thanks but no thanks...
    Last edited by milleniumcab; December 20th, 2006 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Legislation just because something "looks" unsafe.

Wow.
    One doesn't have to be a geniuos to figure out that something that looks as unsafe as the pedicab rides do actually is extremely dangerous..

Ok then, we'll wait until they prove themselves to be unsafe and then look into to legislating them... How many accidents with pedicabs will be enough to convince people?.. That I wonder...Because any accident involving a pedicab and motor vehicle is surely to result in an injury, if not death...
    Last edited by milleniumcab; December 20th, 2006 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strattonport View Post
    Pedicabs are hardly a threat to the city.
    I personally never said that they are a threat to the city.. On the other hand they are serious threat to the people who is riding them...

By the way, I am all for the congestion charge or similar preventive measures to ease the congestion in the city...It will have to be done soon...

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast