Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Pedicabs

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Pedicab drivers pay lip service to pedestrians or red lights, squeezing between moving cars; the ride looks extremely unsafe for its passengers, and probably is. They should be allowed in Central Park only.
    I guess the DOT Commissioner Ira Weinshall ( I think that's how you pronounce the name) do not share your views Edward. She testified before the City Council saying that they should not be allowed in city parks, only on mad-busy streets of Manhattan...

It's often impossible to catch a cab in midtown. I think they need to add still more taxis, and then maybe there wouldn't be such demand for the pedicabs. It seems like everytime I'm standing at an intersection and someone gets in one of these things, it's because they tried unsuccessfully to hail a regular cab. I see how they fill a real need for shorter-distance rides.
    Tourists seem to have fun in them as well, taking in sights as they ride along.
    That said, I've also seen them swerve dangerously close to cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Pedicab drivers pay lip service to pedestrians or red lights, squeezing between moving cars; the ride looks extremely unsafe for its passengers, and probably is. They should be allowed in Central Park only.
    That's what traffic tickets are for. In any event, you can ride a bicyle in city streets. You can drive a semi down most city streets, which are filled with jaywalking pedestrians. The pedicabs seem to be about the LEAST dangerous thing on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by milleniumcab View Post
    I personally never said that they are a threat to the city.. On the other hand they are serious threat to the people who is riding them...

By the way, I am all for the congestion charge or similar preventive measures to ease the congestion in the city...It will have to be done soon...
    Oh, I agree you; I just didn't clarify myself initially. Congestion pricing will only easy motor traffic in the city and make it safer for everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by BPC View Post
    That's what traffic tickets are for. In any event, you can ride a bicyle in city streets.
    I agree but when riding a bicycle you are taking your own life in your hands. Pedicabs with passengers, on the other hand, are not in the same boat...

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by milleniumcab View Post
    Ok then, we'll wait until they prove themselves to be unsafe and then look into to legislating them...
    Pedicabs have been around for some time now.

You've been a broken record about that impending doomsday.

In the meantime, we haven't seen any rash of fatalities in pedicabs.

Yet, we've heard of plenty of accidents as a result of taxicabs in that span of time.

As far as I've seen, pedicabs have a pretty good track record so far, something I can't say about yellow cabs.

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    Pedicabs have been around for some time now.

You've been a broken record about that impending doomsday.

In the meantime, we haven't seen any rash of fatalities in pedicabs.

Yet, we've heard of plenty of accidents as a result of taxicabs in that span of time.

As far as I've seen, pedicabs have a pretty good track record so far, something I can't say about yellow cabs.
    I can't say anything to this other than that track record has not been kept yet. But when the city starts to regulate them soon will start the record for all to keep track of...
    Last edited by milleniumcab; December 21st, 2006 at 11:00 PM.

Banned Member

I'd rather see streets congested with pedicabs and bicycles than SUV's with a single fat goomba yakking on his cell phone and ignoring every rule of the road.

Pedicabs might actually be a danger or nuisance to motor vehicles, in which case, motor vehicles ought to be more strictly controlled or be banned outright.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    ...a single fat goomba yakking on his cell phone and ignoring every rule of the road..
    What do you have against 'fat goombas?' I kinda resemble that remark, to quote a phrase

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider View Post
    I'd rather see streets congested with pedicabs and bicycles than SUV's with a single fat goomba yakking on his cell phone and ignoring every rule of the road.

Pedicabs might actually be a danger or nuisance to motor vehicles, in which case, motor vehicles ought to be more strictly controlled or be banned outright.
    I agree with your comments about single driver SUVs in the city but hear this.. Do you live in Amsterdam BR?.. If not you should think about moving there. You, pedicabs and bicycles would be a perfect match in Amsterdam...

CITY TO ZAP 'ELECTRIC' PEDICABS

By JEREMY OLSHAN

January 22, 2007 -- The city plans to ban pedicabs that use electric motors, in a move that advocates contend will cripple the industry.

Although "electrical assist" motors do not power the bicycle rickshaws, only making it slightly easier to pedal them, the City Council has determined that pedicabs must remain purely sweat-powered vehicles, sources said.

Of the 500 pedicabs working the streets, roughly 20 percent use electrical assist, advocates say, but that number has steadily increased because the motors allow drivers to make more money and work longer.

"The electrical assist makes pedicabs safer, and it enables us to have long-term professional drivers," said Chad Marlow, spokesman for the NYC Pedicab Owners Association.

Many have complained the pedicab industry is unregulated and unsafe.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp View Post
    The city plans to ban pedicabs that use electric motors, in a move that advocates contend will cripple the industry.

Although "electrical assist" motors do not power the bicycle rickshaws, only making it slightly easier to pedal them, the City Council has determined that pedicabs must remain purely sweat-powered vehicles, sources said.
    Bad decision imo.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Environmentally, it might not necessarily be a bad thing to eliminate the battery-powered vehicles although I realize the City Council did not do so because of environmental concerns.

They were probably swayed by lobbyists from the taxi industry, who feared competition.

Well!... They got their wish... They will soon be LEGAL and will have to comply with the requirements of being LEGAL..Let see how many will stay in business..

I should know, it is not easy being LEGAL in this city..

Quote Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
    They were probably swayed by lobbyists from the taxi industry, who feared competition.
    Besides Taxi Industry, Handsome Cab, Hotel and the Broadway (Theatre) Industries (among the ones that I know of) also strongly objected to legalizing the Pedi-Cabs...

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast