Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 28

Thread: New Manila Skyline

  1. #1

    Cool New Manila Skyline
























  2. #2

    Default

    Amazing.

    The Third World's on the move, huge skylines also sprouting in such places as Panama City, Dubai and Shanghai. I guess it's a lot easier to get something built than it is in New York's regulatory maze --or worse still, Boston's.

  3. #3

    Default

    Skylines are not the best yardsticks to measure societies.

    In China, this forum would have been shut down, and many of us arrested.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp
    Skylines are not the best yardsticks to measure societies.
    Agreed. Skylines are good yardsticks to measure skylines.

  5. #5

    Default

    And that Manilla skyline is very impressive.

  6. #6

  7. #7
    Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    in Limbo
    Posts
    8,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    Amazing.The Third World's on the move, huge skylines also sprouting in such places as Panama City, Dubai and Shanghai.
    You've left out quite an awful lot of other cities. In China alone there's several dozen cities that are building like crazy. It's like everyone's caught the skyscraper fever.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    I guess it's a lot easier to get something built than it is in New York's regulatory maze --or worse still, Boston's.
    Not anymore, their mayor is calling for more skyscrapers. Looks like New Yorkers are now the only one left who's afraid of tall buildings. How ironic is that?

  8. #8

    Default

    If it's outpaced the rest it's not exactly "Third World" is it? (and hasn't this term really lost its precision- and hence its function other than a crude generalisation- since the end of the Cold War?)

    Nor do I think this forum would be shut down in China. Imagine Wired Shanghai. It would be like grassroots propaganda- look at all the amazing new development! Glory to the society that produces it! You get the idea.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    Not anymore, their mayor is calling for more skyscrapers. Looks like New Yorkers are now the only one left who's afraid of tall buildings. How ironic is that?
    The NIMBYs are organizing in Boston as we speak.

  10. #10
    Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    in Limbo
    Posts
    8,976

    Default

    Are you sure?
    Do the NIMBY's there have as much power and influence as their NY counterparts?

    I must say I'm rooting for the NIMBY's there.
    Go Boston NIMBY's!
    Lol, now I'm starting to sound like NY's version of JCMAN320.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antinimby
    Are you sure?
    Do the NIMBY's there have as much power and influence as their NY counterparts?
    In the past, they've had more. Hopefully things are turning around.

    Everything you could possibly want to know (and more) about Boston's possible future tower (sorry, Manila; does this deserve its own thread?): http://www.archboston.com/Forum/view...?t=957&start=0

    .

  12. #12
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY
    Posts
    8,113

    Default

    Our little world is growing up...<<sniffle>>...someone give me a tissue.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by czsz
    Nor do I think this forum would be shut down in China. Imagine Wired Shanghai. It would be like grassroots propaganda- look at all the amazing new development! Glory to the society that produces it! You get the idea.
    Visit News & Politics, or any of the WTC threads that criticize govt officials.

    http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/bu..._121814_121814
    To this day, public criticism of the Three Gorges development is prohibited in China,
    Today, China employs approximately 30,000 cyber-police to monitor Web traffic and postings from the country's roughly 111 million Internet users. Writing articles "incompatible with the mainstream ideology" is prohibited. Posting messages that "damage the reputation of the state" can get you arrested. And publishing anything deemed to be a state secret can carry the death penalty. The list of banned websites now stands at 500,000 and growing.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by czsz
    If it's outpaced the rest it's not exactly "Third World" is it? (and hasn't this term really lost its precision- and hence its function other than a crude generalisation- since the end of the Cold War?)
    Well, the Second World sort of evaporated. Some of its former members find themselves in the First and some in the Third. People in countries like Poland, Hungary, Slovenia, the Czech Republic and Estonia enjoy lives that are only a bit less affluent than those of folks in Western Europe, North America, Australia or Argentina, while those in Romania, Moldova, Kyrgyzstan, China and others don't yet fully share this material prosperity --and may never. Russia is right on the line between the two.

    In assessing the economic prosperity of populations, the CIA uses an index they refer to as "purchasing power parity." You could put the dividing line at about $10,000 per person.
    .
    Last edited by ablarc; February 27th, 2006 at 05:29 PM.

  15. #15
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    3,298

    Default

    How many of these pictures are of buildings in Manila City as opposed to elsewhere in its sprawling metro area?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Downtown Skyline
    By NYguy in forum New York Skyscrapers and Architecture
    Replies: 166
    Last Post: September 5th, 2012, 05:40 PM
  2. Cruise ships and Manhattan skyline
    By Edward in forum New York City Guide For Visitors
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: October 17th, 2008, 04:17 AM
  3. Skyline Hotel 10th Avenue - How is the area?
    By Annie Wood in forum Questions and Answers about New York City
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 31st, 2003, 04:56 PM
  4. Silverstein undaunted and planning the next great skyline
    By Edward in forum New York Real Estate
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: February 15th, 2002, 11:35 AM
  5. Central Park at dusk and Manhattan skyline
    By Edward in forum Photos and Videos of New York
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 11th, 2002, 05:37 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Google+ - Facebook - Twitter - Meetup

Edward's photos on Flickr - Wired New York on Flickr - In Queens - In Red Hook - Bryant Park - SQL Backup Software