Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mr Trump

Yes but i mean people doing it in regular ways not as a result of the world worst terrorist attack. If 9/11 hadnt happened he would have proposed. Freedom tower isnt a new building its a replacement for two others.

Seeing as the Freedom Tower does not currently exist, any construction will count as new.

What is your opinion of Mr. Donald Trump, Alonzo-NY?

I like and admire him. He knows what he wants and he isnt preoccupied with what other people think ie his elaborate marble inside trump tower where i actually saw the man himself in 2002. I like his buildings and the designs in lower manhattan and for television city and NY would look great had they been built. However it does slightly feel like he's cheating on NY when he builds 1000ft buildings in chicago.

Default Does anyone consider it odd...

That Donald trump is buildings his tallest building in Chicago? I would have almost sworn he would have gone for NYC to build such a tower. There was a thread at SSC about this and how Trump ditched NYC. I thought is was a very interesting discussion. Could this be a sign that he's planning a taller one in NYC?

Donald Trump has not ditched NYC. In many projects Trump is not the controlling partner rather with Riverside and TTC Trumps name is used for its prestige and in marketing.

Development in NYC is sparse and in addition to zoning (two facts you don't clearly comprehend) Trump has not ditched NYC. He recently bid on the Roosevelt Hotel site where price per buildable square foot would've required him to tear down the hotel and replace it with a new development. However the building came off the market. Is Trump done with NYC, no, in fact its my guess that there's something going on behind closed doors with Trump.

Banned Member

Trump has been openly critical of FT. I sense a motive. I think he will let that be unveiled to everyone's disgust and then truly deliver a WTB in style - as the finale to his next Apprentice series.

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny
    I like and admire him. He knows what he wants and he isnt preoccupied with what other people think ie his elaborate marble inside trump tower where i actually saw the man himself in 2002. I like his buildings and the designs in lower manhattan and for television city and NY would look great had they been built. However it does slightly feel like he's cheating on NY when he builds 1000ft buildings in chicago.
    Trump has not cheating on New York. His company is still NY based, and he has branched out into other cities. Trump is building his the tower in Chicago for one reason, because he can.

I've been following his developments and attempts to build a world's tallest in New York for two decades - from the first of his Television City proposals, to his NY Stock Exchange proposal. There is no reason to think Trump has given up on his dream of building that tall in New York City. Most importantly, what he needs in NY is a site zoned for such a tower. Things will get very interesting on the Westside, where numerous large towers loom in the future.

Even if NY doesn't build office towers as high as the WTC, residential building in NY is a booming business. Trumps 150-story TV City tower was a residential building. He will have his ultimate NY skyscraper eventually, even if he is building elsewhere in the meantime.

This one brings back memories...

August 13, 1996

Trump plans NYSE tower
    Exchange mulls move into proposed record-breaking skyscraper

NEW YORK (CNNfn) -- Donald Trump is planning to build the world's tallest building at the end of Wall Street to house the New York Stock Exchange, according to published reports.

The 140-story New York Stock Exchange Tower, as the building would be named, would have 3 1/2 million square feet of office space, house up to 100,000 office workers and take 3 1/2 years to build.

At 1,792 feet tall, the proposed building would extend far above the neighboring World Trade Center, currently the fifth tallest building in the world.

"For Trump this is the ultimate," the New York Post quoted a Trump family friend as saying. "Donald is obsessed with that fact that New York should have the world's tallest building."

On Monday, the NYSE said it was mulling a move from its historic Wall Street headquarters, a 93-year-old building.

Both City Hall and NYSE Chief Executive Richard Grasso reportedly greeted the plan with "huge enthusiasm," citing the advantages of bringing the tallest building status back to the Big Apple.

Trump's NYSE plan is designed by architects Kohn Pedersen Fox, the same firm that designed Malaysia's skyscrapers.

The "Guinness Book of World Records" says the tallest building and free-standing tower in the world is the 1,815-foot-tall CN Tower in Toronto. The Oriental Pearl TV Tower in Shanghai, China, currently checks in as the world's biggest skyscraper at 1,534 feet tall.

A tall order, even for Trump

Bloomberg Business News

Donald Trump is back in the public eye with a proposal to build the world's tallest building in Manhattan to house the New York Stock Exchange.

Trump told the New York Post that if the NYSE decides to move to another location -- the exchange announced this week that it's considering such a move -- he would build it a new home just a few blocks away from the exchange's current cramped digs at 18 Broad St.

Trump's plan, which has not been accepted by the exchange, calls for a 140-story building that would rise 1,792 feet tall -- to commemorate the exchange's founding in 1792.

Building the tower might be the easy part because Trump would still have to find tenants.

"Clearly, the market has too much available space as it is," said Howard Grufferman, a New York real estate broker. "It's a little premature to be doing out of the ground construction."

A more likely scenario, Grufferman said, would be for the exchange to move into an existing building.
    Last edited by NYguy; March 24th, 2005 at 07:43 PM.

But the more things change...

NY POST

ROOM TO SPARE

By ISABELLE SENDER
    February 20, 2005

Darwin is ringing the bell on the floor of the New York Stock Exchange.
    Proposed regulations, technology and competition from other exchanges are changing the way stocks are bought and sold, who sells them when, and where.

NYSE CEO John Thain, who has been navigating the exchange for over a year through sweeping governance changes and a pay scandal involving the NYSE's former boss Dick Grasso, now is tackling big challenges that some traders believe are long overdue.

But the results may make the iconic brick-and-mortar of the exchange obsolete.

"We always joke saying that the exchange would make a great bowling alley one day," said Bill McGowan, managing director of Interactive Brokers, a firm whose business model embraces electronic-trading technology.

The pressure on NYSE execs to abandon its traditional floor-trading stage at the exchange's neoclassic landmark on the corner of Wall and Broad streets is increasing. Changes ó such as heightened regulatory scrutiny, automated trading and capital restructuring ó are likely to make where stocks are traded appear drastically different from the inside in a few years, traders agree.

"Donald Trump will likely make a bid for the piece of property and use the building as a base for a great tower," Jon Najarian co-founder of Najarian Capital guessed.

"He'll get an unbelievable tax break for leaving the faÁade alone and simply building a skyscraper inside of it. I think that lower Manhattan will still be desirable real estate but not for the trading floor that currently occupies it," he added.

Automating transactions alone would likely limit the number of people needed on the trading floor and cut the amount of space those people need to do their jobs.

"It will look like an Oddfellows Lodge, the day after their New Year's party ó mostly empty. Electronic trading will completely dominate trading before, during and after the NYSE session," says Tobin Smith, founder of ChangeWave Research.

"I imagine [the NYSE] will resemble a giant server farm, more than an open floor for traders ... where open outcry will be a distant memory," Najarian added.

The image of hundreds of huge computers on the floor of the exchange is in stark contrast to its current incarnation, which is an open floor with kiosks and monitors.

But even the look of the floor these days is a far cry from what it looked like during its early days. Implementing changes may not be as easy as those who want them may make it seem. However, it certainly won't be easy to maintain status quo, causing a lot of folks to grow uncomfortable.

"Ghosts might wander the floor," Najarian joked, considering all the changes to the business that are likely to occur over the nest five years and how they would sit with Wall Street's early bulls and bears.

"Maybe J.P. Morgan and Jesse Livermore would roam the floors," Najarian said. "And even though he's not dead yet, Dick Grasso, too."

Nothing serious, just thought "Trump and the NYSE, here we go again..."

I remember reading a report a few months ago that talked about a supertall tower, possible WTB, in the new Sports and Convention District on the west side. We all know that the west side was rezoned to allow for taller towers. I can see trump being interested in property in that area. Maybe he's the one behind this rumored WTB.

Just a thought. The Stock Exchange Tower seems a little more believable considering the fact that he wanted to build the tower in 1996. It sounds like the Hearst Tower.

Quote Originally Posted by BronxBoy
    I remember reading a report a few months ago that talked about a supertall tower, possible WTB, in the new Sports and Convention District on the west side. We all know that the west side was rezoned to allow for taller towers. I can see trump being interested in property in that area. Maybe he's the one behind this rumored WTB.

Just a thought. The Stock Exchange Tower seems a little more believable considering the fact that he wanted to build the tower in 1996. It sounds like the Hearst Tower.
    The Westside is where all the action will be in the future. Developers must be salivating at the thought of it. Those towers will be huge. But there are always a few surprises to be had, so I wouldn't be shocked if something popped up in the more traditional areas of Midtown. Downtown has the WTC redevelopment, but other than that, no areas left for large towers, at least not zoned.

AS far as Trump, he will never be finished building. He's always on to the next big thing. I remember watching Trump World Tower go up a few years ago. That tower was up before the NIMBYs even knew what hit'em. That's what happens when a site is properly zoned.

Quote Originally Posted by BronxBoy

As far as the NYSE article goes, I love the post, but thatís purely reactionary print, you couldnít even consider it speculation. If the NYSE leaves its home, thatís a big if, its possible they would open it to bidding another if, and if Donald Trump actually bids on the property thatís an even bigger if.

For Trump this is the ultimate," the New York Post quoted a Trump family friend as saying. "Donald is obsessed with that fact that New York should have the world's tallest building."

i like sound of that, but why is trump using one of these asia tactics of a big spire to make it taller than esb nys tallest at the moment?

Quote Originally Posted by NYguy
    The Westside is where all the action will be in the future. Developers must be salivating at the thought of it. Those towers will be huge. But there are always a few surprises to be had, so I wouldn't be shocked if something popped up in the more traditional areas of Midtown. Downtown has the WTC redevelopment, but other than that, no areas left for large towers, at least not zoned.

AS far as Trump, he will never be finished building. He's always on to the next big thing. I remember watching Trump World Tower go up a few years ago. That tower was up before the NIMBYs even knew what hit'em. That's what happens when a site is properly zoned.

Con Ed site? That's well zoned I belive.

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny

i like sound of that, but why is trump using one of these asia tactics of a big spire to make it taller than esb nys tallest at the moment?

I've wondered that too.

I have my doubts of donald going higher than 1360 feet in NYC.

But hell what do I know?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast