Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mr Trump

Default Mr Trump

Donald Trump being the only person proposing consistantly huge towers in NY in the last decade or two, will he propose again in New York? What are your views?

New York City has not seen the lasts of Mr. Trump.

Banned Member

He's more of a residential / hospitality sector builder. The building in Chicago is reaching nice heights, but in NYC he has hasn't gone taller than TWT. Television City was ambitious, but never went anywhere. My prediction: he won't go taller than TWT.

Architectural Padawan

lol... imagine if he did and sued himself for blocking the view from TWT

With the diminishing economics of increasingly taller office buildings, I think the future of tall buildings is in residential. It stands to reason that while people will not necessarily pay more to have an office on the 70th floor than the 50th floor, the higher floors definitely command a premium in luxury apartment markets.

Since there is no diminishing return dynamic for tall residential towers, and Trump is the preeminent residential developer, I think we will see some enormous buildings from him in NYC.

Architectural Padawan

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenius
    With the diminishing economics of increasingly taller office buildings, I think the future of tall buildings is in residential. It stands to reason that while people will not necessarily pay more to have an office on the 70th floor than the 50th floor, the higher floors definitely command a premium in luxury apartment markets.

Since there is no diminishing return dynamic for tall residential towers, and Trump is the preeminent residential developer, I think we will see some enormous buildings from him in NYC.
    I'd have to disagree. The future is in mixed use buildings. Put the first 60 stories as corporate use with a sky lobby at 60 for another 90 stories of residential use. There we have a 150 story 2,000 ft skyscraper.

I think you are both right. The key is not to place commercial floors at the top.

There may be some technological advance that makes supertall commercial buildings more financially viable, and it may be something unrelated to supertall buildings. The elevator wasn't invented to make skyscrapers possible, but to make it easier to get to the 4th floor.

I like mixed-use buildings. They give architects the opportunity to to innovate, rather than just stack up identical floors.

Default It's not a question of not wanting to do it

It's about putting together a development site that will make money. There are not many mega development potential sites left in Manhattan. I suppose it's inevitable Trump will build a very tall building, such as the World Tower by the UN. But building taller is simply not economical, plus there is still a worry in the back of developers minds about having a big fat juicy tall building that some islamofacist wants to fly an Airbus A380 into.

Quote Originally Posted by ZippyTheChimp

I like mixed-use buildings. They give architects the opportunity to to innovate, rather than just stack up identical floors.
    They also provide the only way to finance tall complex buildings. The condo sales provide the cash to pay off the development costs of the expensive money making parts of mixed use complexes: commercial, hotel, and retail space.

The Dude Abides

I know it's been said before, but mixed-use is the wave of the future, at least in New York. If neighborhoods like Downtown and Midtown West want to develop 24-hour communities where people can live, work, and play, mixed-use is a must. Some of my favorite recent projects have been mixed-use (AOL Time Warner, Bloomberg, Random House, etc.)

According to yesterday's New York Daily News"The Donald" will marry Melania Knauss in the near future.If he proposed at all,or whether it was in New York or not wasn't specified.

Default Re: Mr Trump

Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny
    Donald Trump being the only person proposing consistantly huge towers in NY in the last decade or two, will he propose again in New York? What are your views?
    This is not true

Default Re: Mr Trump

Quote Originally Posted by djf17
    Quote Originally Posted by alonzo-ny
    This is not true
    Name another who has proposed worlds tallest or at least taller than empire state

Daniel Libeskind?

Come on, now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast