Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: Shangri-La Hotel, New York - 610 Lexington Ave - by Norman Foster

As I write this, a crew has arrived and they're beginning to erect the scaffolding arround the YWCA.
    I'll snap some pics tomorrow.

This is very sad news.

This was a classic building.

We obviously disagree, but I would rather see this building across from the YWCA razed.

There are no air rights remaining for that building.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    There are no air rights remaining for that building.
    That's why I think the ability to transfer air rights should be extended. Also, the residents of the building I hate could be given apartments in a new one if a large tower were permitted to be built on the site. The air rights issue makes greedy people like Rosen, Macklowe, Gershon, etc. raze nice buildings.

If air rights were transferred without restrictions, you might get those greedy people razing even more nice buildings. Anyway, I don't think every single lot should be built up to the sky.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    If air rights were transferred without restrictions, you might get those greedy people razing even more nice buildings. Anyway, I don't think every single lot should be built up to the sky.
    I don't either. I'd rather have the YWCA than Rosen's 61 story tower, and I'd rather have Parke-Bennet, as is, than Rosen's thirty-something tower on Madison.

Quote Originally Posted by londonlawyer View Post

... I would rather see this building across from the YWCA razed.

That one ^^^ (even if air rights were available) doesn't seem to have a large enough footprint to build as Foster has designed for the Y site.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1 View Post
    That one ^^^ (even if air rights were available) doesn't seem to have a large enough footprint to build as Foster has designed for the Y site.
    I know it doesn't. I'm just perturbed when nice buildings like the Y are razed and Piles of Stuff like the one across the street remain standing.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Wink You're putting esthetics above business.

It's a concept that will never play in this town.

APRIL 22, 2007

Site of the planned tower...

__

I wish they could gut the existing building, give it a good powerwashing, and then build the new tower through it.

I don't see that much of an architectual loss with this one. Not nearly as bad as the Drake and other gems being razed anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Scraperfannyc View Post
    I don't see that much of an architectual loss with this one. Not nearly as bad as the Drake and other gems being razed anyways.
    It's more about loss of variety for me. That area is so glassy that it's nice to have at least one contrast building in my opinion.

A Florentine knock-off and very beautiful. Look at the tight curve of the corner. It's those small, expensive, details that make this a gem.

Of course that's not appreciated.... neither are hand-made button holes or the proper set of a sleeve.

It probably once had a huge metal cornice sticking out over the cornice that is still there.

Imagine this as a boutique hotel and the value it would give to the entire area. See the canopies and the flags out front. The manicured box shrubs. The luxe shop windows on the ground floor. The great bar and restaurant. We are in NYC after all.

Architectual loss indeed.

-----
    Last edited by Fabrizio; April 24th, 2007 at 03:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fabrizio View Post
    A Florentine knock-off and very beautiful. Look at the tight curve of the corner. It's those small, expensive, details that make this a gem.

Of course that's not appreciated.... neither are hand-made button holes or the proper set of a sleeve.

It probably once had a huge metal cornice sticking out over the cornice that is still there.

Imagine this as a boutique hotel and the value it would give to the entire area. See the canopies and the flags out front. The manicured box shrubs. The luxe shop windows on the ground floor. The great bar and restaurant. We are in NYC after all.

Architectual loss indeed.

-----
    I could not agree with you more. This building should be preserved, and I despise Rosen for razing it. He's the creep who also wants to raze the stunning building on 43rd and 5th. Nevertheless, unlike the revolting Harry Macklowe, at least Rosen hires world-class architects and makes an effort to build something nice when he razes a gem. Macklowe, by contrast, razes stunning buildings and hires SLCE to erect cheap, glass boxes in their place.