Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Proposed: Shangri-La Hotel, New York - 610 Lexington Ave - by Norman Foster

March Deed with transfer tax paid for $110,105,000 but is it an arms length transaction?

http://a836-acris.nyc.gov/Scripts/Do...07042400093001

http://www.hines.com/property/detail.aspx?id=1855

Shangri-la New York
    New York, NY

610 Lexington Avenue is a 61-story luxury condominium/condominium hotel, located in midtown Manhattan at the corner of Lexington Avenue and 53rd Street. Limited to only a 4,000 square-foot tower footprint, 610 Lexington may potentially rise as high as 709 feet, and will be constructed on the former site of a YWCA. The new building will be in close proximity to many of the most notable architectural landmarks in New York City - the Seagrams Building at 375 Park Avenue, Lever House, Citigroup Center, the GE building, and 53rd at Third. It includes a luxury condominium hotel of approximately 50 rooms at the base with a full complement of amenities and services including a ground floor restaurant.
    Construction planning required extensive, complex land-use agreements with adjacent property owners to make sure the new building would have minimal impact on their properties. 610 Lexington has previously obtained approval of the New York City Landmark Preservation Commission. The development team is currently exploring various programming options prior to filing with the New York City Planning commission for a special permit to allow transfer of unused air rights from adjacent buildings. The design architect is Norman Foster and Partners, who have created a building that is architecturally and technically sophisticated. Construction is scheduled to begin in early 2007.

Location Map>Printer Friendly>More Results>
    Address
    610 Lexington
    New York, NY

Located on the corner of 53rd and Lexington in Midtown Manhattan
    Hines' Role
    Development Manager

Architect
    Foster & Partners, London, England

Residential Component
    107-units residential condominium

Hotel Component
    50-unit condominium hotel Net Rentable Area
    Residential:
    250,000 sq. ft.
    (23,225 sq. m.)

Default 4/18

Dark clouds loom...

From Crains New York Business
    No Shangri-La for midtown community boards

Both Community Boards Six and Five oppose the hotel's proposal, which calls for a 206-room, 64-story hotel plus 17 private condominiums in back of the landmark Seagram building.
    May 13. 2008 3:22PMBy: Lisa Fickenscher

Plans by Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts to open a big hotel in midtown in 2010 are running into fierce community opposition.

A year ago the Hong-Kong based hotelier signed a management deal in New York with development partners RFR Holding and Clarion Partners to open a hotel at 610 Lexington Ave. and East 53rd St. in back of the landmark Seagram building. The site was a formerly occupied by a YWCA. Plans involve transferring air rights from the Seagram building.

Plans call for a 206-room, 64-story hotel, totaling over 200,000 square feet, plus 17 private condominiums. City zoning code requires hotels in excess of 100,000 square feet to have a loading berth for delivery trucks. The developers are proposing changing the zoning requirements in the midtown neighborhood to allow them to construct the hotel without such a dock.

Both Community Boards Six and Five oppose the proposal, currently under land use review. The community boards maintain that their districts are already heavily congested with vehicular and pedestrian traffic and that adding a hotel without a loading berth would put too much strain on the area.

The hotel’s owners dispute that contention, insisting that their architects at Foster and Partners have successfully addressed the problem.

"We've been asked to deliver a building of exquisite design to complement the Seagram Building and Lever House,” says Shangri-La regional vice president for North America, Stephen Darling. “The architects found the best solution was to manage deliveries at night rather than take away 50% of the ground floor in order to provide for loading and receiving facilities in the traditional way.”

Manhattan Borough president Scott Stringer will weigh in on the plans this week. Eventually, the City Council will consider the plan.

The current design includes 17 high-end residential condominiums ranging in size from 1,500 to 3,000 square feet that will occupy the top 10 floors of the tower – and can be reached by a 1,400 feet per minute dedicated elevator.

The Hong Kong-based hotelier is aggressively expanding outside of Asia and the Middle East with properties on the drawing board in several American cities, including Las Vegas, Miami and Chicago.

Based on MOMA I have a new confidence in the system against community boards BS.

Crabby airline hostess - stache's Avatar

Default There will be many deliveries

that the hotel will not be able to control timewise. Asking for a loading dock is not an unreasonable request.

I think the CB's forgot to mention that this building is grossly out of scale with the surrounding low-rise neighborhood, and will cast a long shadow.

Forum Veteran

That loading dock issue has been a standard in hotel construction for a long time. Whoever the Owner's rep is on this project did not do a good job discussing this project.

The best thing that could happen would be to build the hotel WITHOUT a loading dock.

And what about the big old hotels like the Waldorf, Pierre, Plaza etc.? Don't they get along fine without loading docks?

I'm pretty sure the Waldorf has loading capabilities underground.

10 Barclay = Decepticon Optimus Prime's Avatar

The Waldorf=Astoria has loading bays on 50th Street where trucks can pull around and back in. You can actually see them on the street view in Google Maps.

The others? My point is that other hotels have done without. Considering the pros and cons: I'd much rather have the street level dedicated to other uses than a loading dock.

“The architects found the best solution was to manage deliveries at night rather than take away 50% of the ground floor in order to provide for loading and receiving facilities in the traditional way.”

10 Barclay = Decepticon Optimus Prime's Avatar

I don't disagree, I was just responding re:the Waldorf because I happened to see the loading dock walking by yesterday. I don't know about the other hotels. In general I think NYC architects and developers by this point should know how to deal with this issue (either minimizing the impact of a dock or finding a way to do without one).

Default Thank you Optimus.

I thought I had remembered seeing loading docks at the Waldorf but I didn't want to commit. Fabs, do you think it's realistic to include a hotel that was built over 100 years ago in your list? The horseless carriage was still something of a novelty at that point. This Shangri-La has a tiny footprint and the architects are trying to tap dance their way out of a difficult situation regarding the ground floor. They're going to need a lot of grease to get around this issue.
    Last edited by stache; May 14th, 2008 at 06:21 PM. Reason: typo

Wonder what the verdict will come out as. >_> I've stayed at a Shangri-La in Australia. Very nice hotel both inside and out. The only issue I had was the ants in the bathroom due to Australia's warm climate.