Page 137 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3787127133134135136137138139140141 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,055 of 2171

Thread: Moving to New York

Default Getting off the road

Quote Originally Posted by AJTraveler View Post

(1) Will it be a big issue that I dont' really have a rental history when trying to get an apartment?

(2) ... I won't have a paycheck from my new job in NY yet, so would they look at what I made at my previous job?

(3) ... any advice on what areas would be easily accessible with a decent commute, that would be appreciated.
    hi AJ,

(1) not having a rental history is not necessarily a big deal... indeed, what matters for most landlords is money... in which case you can be asked to make a larger security deposit, or be required to apply with a guarantor to make up for any deficiency in history or even money...

(2) yes -expect to be asked for a copy of your previous year's taxes & your most current bank statement... (feel free to read my blog post about application requirements Application Process: Know Your Docs Before You Apply! )

(3) there's theater all over this town & it almost doesn't matter where you live if you're near a main subway express line! the meat of theater, of course, is Bdwy & the closest neighborhoods are Midtown West & Midtown East, which can easily mean living within walking distance of the big theater houses...

i personally prefer & live in Midtown West -Hell's Kitchen to be exact- & can tell you that it's full of theater professionals who love it here... as for rent, prices are currently deflating & will hopefully be in a good place by the time you arrive...

you can browse my Midtown West No Fee Apartment listings to get a sense of current rents w/ respect to size...

if any of this helps, please drop me a comment at buzzedNYC to let me know...

cheers,

dan
    --
    New York City Apartments -No Broker Fee... No Sign Up Fee... No BS.

A friend of mine wants to move to New York but he is not really sure in where. I recommended Brookly because it is very central but though a nice part of New York.
    Where would you move to?

I posted a while back thinking about moving to NYC and shortly thereafter my pragmatic side kicked in(when the economy started slowing) and so now I'm looking at applying for a Master's program where I live. I'm bummed because I have a lot of emotional attachments to the Mid-Atlantic and I wanted to do a stint in NYC while my beloved parents are still around. I'll be switching gears to start studying the visiting New York thread to plan a great trip. I want to thank all of the regular posters on this thread for such valuable insights and information.

Hi to all. My name is Roman I plan on moving to NY in near future and I would like to get some advice from people who live in NY. I have few questions.
    What's a good valid way to find a job in NYC?
    I'm in a criminal justice field, so I'm looking for something relevant to that field.
    Is it relistic to own a ca in NYC and surrounding cities or I would be beter riding a cab or something in that nature.
    I have million questions but this is enough for beggining. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by RAM1424 View Post
    Hi to all. My name is Roman I plan on moving to NY in near future and I would like to get some advice from people who live in NY. I have few questions.
    What's a good valid way to find a job in NYC?
    I'm in a criminal justice field, so I'm looking for something relevant to that field.
    Is it relistic to own a ca in NYC and surrounding cities or I would be beter riding a cab or something in that nature.
    I have million questions but this is enough for beggining. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
    No ideas on the job front, I'm assuming government is not recruiting any more than private enterprise is right now, so probably tough. Still, sending applications never killed anyone, and I'm guessing you'd be looking for those jobs at NYPD's website.

It's absolutely realistic to own a car in NYC, whether it is worth it is another matter. First of all is parking, if you want indoor parking expect to pay a lot. My building currently charges $680 / month for a single parking space. I've seen other places further uptown, often towards west side that are as "low" as $250-300 a month. In many places you can also park on the street, but that's obviously going to be first come, first served, so prepare to battle for them. I have rarely, if ever, missed having a car, cabs and subway work just fine. Subway is $2 going anywhere, and $10-15 gets you a long way in a cab. If you plan to go out of the city fairly regularly it might be worth it, since rental cars could quickly get expensive as well.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by KenNYC View Post
    No ideas on the job front, I'm assuming government is not recruiting any more than private enterprise is right now, so probably tough. Still, sending applications never killed anyone, and I'm guessing you'd be looking for those jobs at NYPD's website.

It's absolutely realistic to own a car in NYC, whether it is worth it is another matter. First of all is parking, if you want indoor parking expect to pay a lot. My building currently charges $680 / month for a single parking space. I've seen other places further uptown, often towards west side that are as "low" as $250-300 a month. In many places you can also park on the street, but that's obviously going to be first come, first served, so prepare to battle for them. I have rarely, if ever, missed having a car, cabs and subway work just fine. Subway is $2 going anywhere, and $10-15 gets you a long way in a cab. If you plan to go out of the city fairly regularly it might be worth it, since rental cars could quickly get expensive as well.
    - Federal agencies are still actually hiring; albeit to a lesser extent. The best clearing house of all major government jobs is located at USAJOBS (http://www.usajobs.gov/). The process is lengthy and involved; be prepared for a long wait and application process.

- If I had not found a house on Staten Island, I doubt I would have kept any vehicle save my motorcycle. Off-street and/or free parking is rare in the city. Vehicle insurance is outrageous here (NJ is 1/2 the annual premium) and you are likely to get some kind of damage whether in an accident, from a parking lot or due to the poor maintenance of NYC streets. I have not found taxi's to be economical at all and the price of public transportation will be going WAY up in the near future.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by MumElise View Post
    A friend of mine wants to move to New York but he is not really sure in where. I recommended Brookly because it is very central but though a nice part of New York.
    Where would you move to?
    Any of the five boroughs will have good and bad areas to them. Brooklyn is an up-and-coming area for improvements, but it's not all there yet. Queens is still too remote and the Bronx just has too many bad elements, in my opinion. Kudos if you can afford Manhattan, but I prefer Staten Island; far enough away and enough affluent areas to feel comfortable walking around. The only drawback I can see is access to trains; there are none going into the city, but express buses are plentiful and the Staten Island Ferry is free!

Hi, I'm going to move to New York very soon. I've been offered a job in a hotel in Manhattan (manager of the restaurant, with a pretty okay salary). Do you think it's possible for me to rent an appartment in Manhattan (close to central park, and sharing it with a roommate is no problem).

you'll have to give us more info than that....like what you expect to pay for rent- (if you can afford it, you most likely can rent it)

Quote Originally Posted by Countesss View Post
    Any of the five boroughs will have good and bad areas to them. Brooklyn is an up-and-coming area for improvements, but it's not all there yet. Queens is still too remote and the Bronx just has too many bad elements, in my opinion. Kudos if you can afford Manhattan, but I prefer Staten Island; far enough away and enough affluent areas to feel comfortable walking around. The only drawback I can see is access to trains; there are none going into the city, but express buses are plentiful and the Staten Island Ferry is free!
    I'm confused here: Queens is too remote, but Staten Island is A-OK? Long Island City is one subway stop from midtown. Also, if you're claiming that Brooklyn is "up and coming" and the Bronx has too many bad elements, you might want to set the dial on your time machine for something later than 1977.

Lmao

Cool Always stated as an "IMHO"

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    I'm confused here: Queens is too remote, but Staten Island is A-OK? Long Island City is one subway stop from midtown. Also, if you're claiming that Brooklyn is "up and coming" and the Bronx has too many bad elements, you might want to set the dial on your time machine for something later than 1977.
    Don't mess with my time machine, now! As is always assumed, this is my own opinion and simply based upon those I have talked to, my own experiences and what I've researched. I have friends in Queens who are up by LGA and literally in the 'boonies' - who absolutely hate the fact they're so far out from Manhattan. I realize Queens is a large area and should have clarified.

There are certainly parts of Brooklyn I've seen that are being revitalized and money is being poured into them. The folks I've spoken with who were born and grew up there (and left due to the crime and filth) are now returning to those same areas and are amazed at what they see.

As far as SI being 'remote' - I have not found that to be the case at all and it seems it is truly the "forgotten borough". I love it there and try to educate folks like you who seem to be absolutely adamant in their opinion. Brooklyn (Verazzano-side) is 1 bus-stop from my home and express buses are everywhere. Of course it's a big island and it all depends on where one is located. I've not seen any part of the Bronx that I would feel comfortable living in or even walking the streets of and it seems to take forever to get to.

No need to feel 'confused'... but if you have additional and/or specific information to share, please do so!

I have friends in Queens who are up by LGA and literally in the 'boonies' - who absolutely hate the fact they're so far out from Manhattan.
    The area around LGA has relatively poor mass transit into Manhattan. The same can be said for parts pf Brooklyn such as Canarsie, but they are urban areas and not "literally out in the boonies."

Staten Island has a tenuous connection to the rest of the city. In a metro consideration, it would make more sense if JC and Hoboken were part of NY and Staten Island were part of NJ.

There are certainly parts of Brooklyn I've seen that are being revitalized and money is being poured into them. The folks I've spoken with who were born and grew up there (and left due to the crime and filth) are now returning to those same areas and are amazed at what they see.
    Yes, you are in a time warp. This is not exactly the latest news.

As far as SI being 'remote' - I have not found that to be the case at all and it seems it is truly the "forgotten borough". I love it there and try to educate folks like you who seem to be absolutely adamant in their opinion.
    The "forgotten borough" is what you become when you are in fact isolated from the rest of the city.

I've not seen any part of the Bronx that I would feel comfortable living in or even walking the streets of and it seems to take forever to get to.
    Where in the Bronx have you visited, and when?

I've not seen any part of the Bronx that I would feel comfortable living in or even walking the streets of and it seems to take forever to get to.

No need to feel 'confused'... but if you have additional and/or specific information to share, please do so!
    I live in the Bronx and can be in midtown Manhattan within 20 minutes. How long is the trip from Staten Island?

I'm also curious as to where and when you've been to the Bronx, and what exactly it is that makes the idea of walking the streets so unbearably frightening to you.

Not to jump in, but some parts of the Bronx is nice and is only a short ride from Manhattan. I'm thinking of an area such as Riverdale that is only a few stops from Manhattan along the 1, and a ride to Midtown is only a transfer away on 96 st to an express 2 or 3 train.