Page 3 of 145 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Moving to New York

Quote Originally Posted by RandySavage

70-80K gets to be a little tight if you want certain luxuries like a coveted address (i.e. Park Ave., Sutton Place, Central Park West, Far West Village), a spacious apartment, an indoor parking space, eating out a lot, going to shows/clubs/bars a lot, fitness club membership, hi-speed internet, advanced cable tv, etc.
    Here's what I'd want:
    Just a nice, vibrant, safe area with subway access.
    1 bedroom apartment; it'd be nice if it was a newer building, but it's alright if it isn't.
    -I don't need to go out to eat a ton, or go to fancy clubs or anything. I enjoy a quiet lifestyle.
    -I don't need a fitness club membership, but it'd be nice
    -I'd want highspeed internet
    -Cable TV

I think I'd make it alright.

Even though I LOVE NYC, Chicago is a pretty good option for me, too. It's one of the few other American cities that offers a urban lifestyle even somewhat comparable to New York, it's closer to home, and is more affordable.

NYC will also be an option, though. Who knows, someday living there may even become my goal

Wink

I got into parsons so i will be moving to nyc shortly. i'm scared. i have a ba all ready and i still can't get a job. that is why i'm going back to school for another degree.so what is the job situation like and combined with living expeses and such. going to school full time and paying rent must be hard. any input on this? being taht i did not grow up in nyc, what is likely hood for good results?

Default Moving to Manhattan

Hello,

While incredibly exciting moving to New York is proving quite a task. Currently located in Pittsburgh we are trying to pull a “rent with pics and email” type deal with craigslist. While a little ways out from a desired June 1st move in we’re still hard pressed to find anything truly worthwhile.

Coming from possibly the best luxury apartment building in downtown Pittsburgh where we pay $1150 for picturesque views and 900sq ft things like guarantors, brokers, and massive 3-month security deposits are somewhat disheartening.

The truth is, we are young 20-some’s looking to take a stab at life. We will be going back to school in the fall and just want to get to the city. It’s hard as we truly don’t know anyone making much more than $50k+ a year to represent a guarantor and don’t have a steady “job” being freelance photographers. Month to month pay between three people is one thing but finding a guarantor that makes 40-100x rent is proving impossibility.

We’ve looked in Brooklyn and found plenty of sub $1800 places but still the 40x guarantor for a nice neighborhood. Sure, this is much better than the 80-100x in Manhattan but still no go for our middle class heritage. Heh.

What are our options? We’re trying to feel out everything and anything possible. Of course we’d also like to be withn 20min ride to Manhattan. What other options are out there besides Craigslist and Brokers that we cannot afford. Is there a non-guarantor mecca out there somewhere in decent parts that we aren’t seeing?

We have to start somewhere. Thanks

----
    Cheers,
    Matthew Rader
    rader@matthewrader.com
    www.matthewrader.com

AIM: Sir Jimbob.

Try Forest Hills and Kew Gardens. They have access to the F and E express (about 15-20 into midtown Manhattan). Very nice neigborhoods. 1 bedrooms can be gotten at about 1100-1400 on average. Many doorman buildings too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scraperfannyc
    Try Forest Hills and Kew Gardens. They have access to the F and E express (about 15-20 into midtown Manhattan). Very nice neigborhoods. 1 bedrooms can be gotten at about 1100-1400 on average. Many doorman buildings too.
    Any links to buildings? Craigslist?

Quote Originally Posted by Scraperfannyc
    Thanks for the tip!

Default Pay off rent for 6 months

If you have a savings you could pay rent with a deposit off for a certain amount of time. Any apartment should take you in

How does one find an apartment in New York without having to make $80k a year or have rich guarantors behind them? Even Brooklyn and walkups seem to have this crap. *sigh*

It escapes me as everywhere where I see needs paystubs / guarantor. What ever happened to if you have a deposit and pay the rent you are an amazing tenant? Heck, I cannot even find places in Brooklyn or a walkup that doesn't want a huge financial backing behind a tenant. *sigh*

Does this world still exist? Is there any hope?
    Last edited by Sir Jimbob; April 7th, 2005 at 02:10 AM. Reason: misspelled

You can also try Jersey City.

A lot are within walking distance to the Path train and can afford quick access to areas around the WTC, Christopher and Hudson (West village) and along 6th avenue from 9th street to 33rd street.

The rents are a few hundred less than Manhattan and a little cheaper than FH.

I would reccomend it if you were working or going to school further downtown. the "express" lines from Queens are only express until you get to midtown, then they take forever and a day to get through that major work-hub.

Hoboken is also good, and they have a rent control policy that few landlords will ever tell you about. It is also a few hundred less than Manhattan, but it is EXTREMELY fast to get to the city.

Look into all of them.

I'm thinking about becoming a Archtectect/Engineer. Is there any big firms in the city? Any chance of getting a good career in the city as an architect/engineer? What kind of salaries would a city firm give you coming out? Any links to check out?

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Jimbob
    How does one find an apartment in New York without having to make $80k a year or have rich guarantors behind them? Even Brooklyn and walkups seem to have this crap. *sigh*

It escapes me as everywhere where I see needs paystubs / guarantor. What ever happened to if you have a deposit and pay the rent you are an amazing tenant? Heck, I cannot even find places in Brooklyn or a walkup that doesn't want a huge financial backing behind a tenant. *sigh*

Does this world still exist? Is there any hope?
    Surprised to hear that about Brooklyn, keep looking. Queens, I'm certain, would be easier in this respect. Check out Long Island City, Astoria, Sunnyside, Jackson Hts, Woodside. Don't look in Jersey, damnit.

Default Brooklyn Neighborhoods

It depends upon where in Brooklyn you're looking. If you look in Brooklyn Heights the rents are going to look like Manhattans. Sure there are some neighborhoods in Brooklyn that you are going to want to avoid, and others (like Brooklyn Heights) are going to be priced through the roof. If you don't mind a little longer commute into the city on the train or express bus, I'd suggest looking into neighborhoods like Gravesend, Bensonhurst and like another poster mentioned, Bay Ridge. In other neighborhoods lilke Park Slope, Carroll Gardens and Cobble Hill you might be able to findffordable housing, but you have to be patient and keep looking for something in your price range that you like.

Boreum Hill and Greenpoint are two more areas where rents haven't skyrocketed too much yet.

Good Luck

I found this apartment:

http://www.apartmentguide.com/Proper...sSFlg=&lk=phTb

Is that a safe neighborhood that's well connected to the transit system?

EDIT: Oh, and this one, too.

http://www.apartmentguide.com/Proper...opertyID=41396

I'm not used to seeing apartments in NYC go that cheap...What's wrong with them?! lol

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Pottebaum
    I found this apartment:

http://www.apartmentguide.com/Proper...sSFlg=&lk=phTb

Is that a safe neighborhood that's well connected to the transit system?

EDIT: Oh, and this one, too.

http://www.apartmentguide.com/Proper...opertyID=41396

I'm not used to seeing apartments in NYC go that cheap...What's wrong with them?! lol
    Pott- you can use straphangers.org to figure out exactly how far the nearest subway is. Can't answer your question with too much confidence b/c I don't know those areas 100%, but Bay Ridge is kind of far out (especially if you're commuting to manhattan) apt #2 is on the "wrong side" of Prospect Park. I bet Brooklynrider could give more detail about that neighborhood, but the conventional (thus possibly out-of-date) wisdom is to stay west of the park. Also, those prices are ranges, so they probably don't have any apts at the cheaper price "available" and there could be a broker fee, which is about a month's rent.

Have you considered Queens? If you plan to work in Midtown, the commute is better than the affordable parts of Brooklyn, and arguably safer/a better value. Also, I found my apt on craigslist (no fee/good deal) and I reccomend it. I second the suggestion to look in Greenpoint.

Cool--thanks for the info.

What are some safe, affordable areas of Brooklyn and Queens? I haven't been reading up on NYC as much lately, so Im pretty out of touch. Time to break out the maps! :P