Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Bars and Clubs - NYC Nightlife

SO Sad! I remember when we had nightlife here in New York. It's so sad and true about the loss of the big clubs that drew a diverse crowd. More than just dancing, networking happened in those clubs across the social spectrum and the income brackets. From what was once an endless variety of choices, I'm now reduced to just a couple of clubs that I'll go dance at, the rest are just like the article describes. Who here remembers Nell's on 14th St...gosh what memories from that place.
    I think large nightclub venues ( and other social networking places) are just as important to an economy as large trading floors. Too bad so many members here see value in the latter but not in the former, it really is an oversimplified way to look at an economy when you think only investment firms and banks should get fertile ground and a lease.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy View Post
    SO Sad! I remember when we had nightlife here in New York. It's so sad and true about the loss of the big clubs that drew a diverse crowd. More than just dancing, networking happened in those clubs across the social spectrum and the income brackets. From what was once an endless variety of choices, I'm now reduced to just a couple of clubs that I'll go dance at, the rest are just like the article describes. Who here remembers Nell's on 14th St...gosh what memories from that place.
    I think large nightclub venues ( and other social networking places) are just as important to an economy as large trading floors. Too bad so many members here see value in the latter but not in the former, it really is an oversimplified way to look at an economy when you think only investment firms and banks should get fertile ground and a lease.
    I still think NYC nightlife is great. Its still far better than any other American city.

Name for me one club, still open for business, that has the kind of feeling/diverse crowd that could be found at the Tunnel, Limelight, Area, Nell's, the Loft, Choice, Save the Robots, Afterlife, the list goes on of the dearly departed.
    It makes me question how long you have been clubbing, and exactly what kind of music you like. The fact that it's marginally better than other American cities is not very strong praise considering what's out there. We were once the best in the world, now we should pat ourselves on the back because we're still better than Dallas? Good grief.

Who here remembers Nell's on 14th St...
    Me! That was the first clubby-type of place that me when I was 18, in August of 1994. I was hanging out at the Tunnel (not a big fan) and Save The Robots (loved) shortly thereafter.

I know I've done it before, but I've got to agree with MidtownGuy again- New York City nightlife borders on the hideous, especially on weekends. The pendulum seemed to start swinging from diverse to homogeneous back in the late 90s. Bottle service? Please.

I'd still wager that there are more than a few American cities with a more interesting nightlife than NYC, unless your idea of nightlife is screeching girls in Forever 21 tube tops and the men who want to take them home.

Wow! we share a real moment in time. The vibe in some of those clubs was truly amazing! I'm not even that old and I often find myself talking wistfully about that era to recent NYC arrivals- as if I'm an old geezer reflecting on a glorious but distant past or something!! That's how much of a sea change there has been.
    I have found a couple of small places here and there where a person can get their groove on, but nothing like it used to be. We used to sprinkle baby powder on the dancefloor to help us spin and slide, people would take naps in the corner sofas and then get up and dance some more. Dancing until it was time to crawl home at noon or later!
    Them was the days.
    I curse what they have done to NY's once legendary, world-reknowned nightlife. They've gone and killed a beautiful thing, and it's sad because the kids in their young 20's will never know what it was like, never have a frame of reference...thinking Webster Hall or some chi-chi poser lounge is the real deal.
    I hope it rebounds before I get too old to boogie right. Trouble is, all the big old industrial spaces that used to house the great clubs are being torn down and replaced by condos. Soon, most of the sizeable Manhatttan venues just won't exist anymore.

I must confess, I truly loved many clubs (many of the names have disappeared from the memory, there was also a period of time in the mid-80's when you showed up at a club downtown without a clue as to it's name.) But a couple of the fun ones: Pyramid Club, King Tut, SOB's, Danceteria, Nightengales, Dan Lynch, Rudy's, etc. There's still a fabulous amount of life after dark in this city, but now it seems to be much more exclusive. (Although I still love many of the places in the east village).

Can anyone suggest an all-night bar (not a club) near Union Square where I can get a couple of (pre-European timezone soccer) drinks at around 6am? Thanks!

I was taken to 'The Back Room' in the LES yesterday. Its a really cool 'hidden' bar. Anyone know of any others?

Default So Sad There are still old schoolers around

My heart bled when I read your post! It made me wish you'd been hanging out with us at VISIONS party Thursday night with Kervyn Mark who is def old school. Surely you have heard of him? Melting Pot NYC? I love Kervyn because he is so damn real and skillful on the decks and the party is really anybody anything at the old tried and true Sapphire lounge. (The day that places closes I will weep.) I have seen powder on the floor as recently as two weeks ago at Francois K. deep space party. It was Ali who pulled out the powder. Also saw powder at ANBAHP. Thank goodness Jellybean was wise enough to buy that place so we still have a place to go. It's the old lament; artists make a place vibrant, don't buy property and then get pushed out. There are still those of us who hold the torch and sacrifice to keep the REAL New York alive and we could use your support. For the most part Deep Space is cool although sometimes there are these suits that blow in from Ibiza or wherever and don't get that we don't to go home with them and that they really need to get down on the dance floor! (They usually leave bewildered after a couple of hours girl-less!) Jeannie Hopper from the LSL is another stalwart who just keep on trucking no matter what and there is the old guard from Body and Soul. Reggie Johnson of Deep Dance Promotions is a good egg that just wants to throw an old fashioned party and who could use the support of sincere New Yorkers like yourselves. He throws the monthly at the Sapphire lounge whether there is 10 in the room or more...or less!
    I am a musician/poet/singer/writer/ activist type who has been producing events and hanging in year after year since 1999. I am a bit younger than you guys I think but in spite of the fact that I have seen The Palladium, Brownies,CBGBs,Wetlands, The Fez,The C-Note and countless other spots close their doors I just won't give up. I need to do this and it's IMPORTANT. The tide has got to turn sometime. Gritty determination are the watch words. check http://www.myspace.com/deepdance
    Last edited by ladyrainbownewyork; March 8th, 2008 at 07:26 PM. Reason: forgot a link

Wow, welcome.
    Powder on the floooor Mu hu waaa hahahaha...oh my god you are definitely down. There was a time I wouldn't go to the club without my powder for the floor packed in my bag ( and a bottle of water, pack of lifesavers, clean socks, T-shirt and underwear, deodorant, 3 blunts, you know the deal.... Then the places starting confiscating baby powder 'cause they said it messed up the wood floors. But the good places still let us throw it down.
    Jeannie Hopper is a trooper.
    What can I say, we're fellow travelers.
    See you at Sapphire sometime...

Landmarks Commission Set To Vote On Webster Hall

byLysandra Ohrstrom
    March 14, 2008

wallyg via flickr

The Landmarks Preservation Commission is gearing up for a busy (and possibly contentious) public meeting on Tuesday, with proposals on the agenda to designate as many as six landmarks and historic districts, and to hear comments on several more possibilities.

The proposed designations include Webster Hall. The Greenwich Village Society for Historic Preservation has pushed for the 1887 banquet hall-cum-music venue to get protective status, much to the dismay of Webster Hall’s owner Unity Gallega, The New York Times reported. The Times quoted Lisi de Bourbon, a spokeswoman for the Landmarks Commission, who said that the company had opposed designation at last October’s hearing.

Another item up for designation after over a decade of community lobbying is the Fiske-Terrace Midwood Park Historic District. Last Oct. 12, blocks of the adjacent Brooklyn neighborhoods—bounded by Foster and Ocean avenues, Avenue H and the subway tracks of the B and Q trains—moved one step closer to designation when the LPC held a long-awaited public hearing.

Probably the most controversial item of all will be a hearing on the extension of the NoHo Historic District. NoHo first got protective status in 1999, and a separate NoHo East parcel was designated in 2003. But a core section of the neighborhood recommended for protection–running from East 4th Street to Bond Street and Bowery to Lafayette–has been excluded.

NoHo is one of the Historic District Council’s “neighborhoods at risk” and one of the six suffering from what they call an “under-designation” dilemma, meaning the “boundaries were too narrowly and arbitrarily drawn to provide full protection for the traditional neighborhoods.”

Even if the March 18 hearing goes well, the proposed extension of the NoHo district over Bond, Great Jones, and East 4th streets between Lafayette and Bowery has a final vote hurdle before the LPC gives it protective status. And then it needs to pass the City Council.

Copyright 2008 The New York Observer.

Name for me one club, still open for business, that has the kind of feeling/diverse crowd that could be found at the Tunnel, Limelight, Area, Nell's, the Loft, Choice, Save the Robots, Afterlife, the list goes on of the dearly departed.
    It makes me question how long you have been clubbing, and exactly what kind of music you like. The fact that it's marginally better than other American cities is not very strong praise considering what's out there. We were once the best in the world, now we should pat ourselves on the back because we're still better than Dallas? Good grief.
    OMG!!!!!!!! ARENA! I lived there on Sunday mornings...here is another oldie but goody...Club USA!!!!!! I was 13 years old(way ahead of my time) and would go every friday and Saturday night with my 18 year old friends. I remember doing A Night of 1,001 Fashion Victim runway show there. Arena was my all time favorite place to go though. I had some memorable times there. Now you go out and there are a countless amount of Meatheads starting fights and being stupid. I used to be able to sit down and have the most intense conversations with the dragqueens about life etc. Tunnel was awesome too, Twilo for Sasha and Digweed, The Roxy on Friday nights, I can go on and on. Good times.

Midtown, I see you wrote Area but I assumed you meant Arena no??? If not sorry, but that place was the pleasure dome for all clubbers back then.

Hey guys :-) I'm off to New York in just over 3 weeks and wanted to ask about bars.

A while ago I stumbled on a website about a bar very similar to the one in Coyote Ugly? Anyone know what it might have been? I know there is a bar called Coyote Ugly but it wasn't called that.

I'm a big country fan and would love to find a country bar if there are any decent ones in Manhatten?

Brooklyn, The Borough: The Kings of Beer

by Nicole Brydson

March 28, 2008

themechanism via flickr

It seems like every time you turn the corner these days you run into yet another new bar. This is especially true in the gentrified neighborhoods of Brooklyn and very much so in Prospect Heights. Time Out New York recently ran a page-long charticle on the heavy bar presence on Vanderbilt Avenue, the go-to strip for ProHo nightlife.

The eight-block avenue boasts restaurants, cafes and boutiques for moms and dads puttering around with their stroller-strapped kids during the day and by night there are no less than four drinking establishments and one on the verge of receiving its liquor license. Recently, my friends Adam and Dave joined me in hitting a few of my local spots, including the brand-new Weather Up and the six-year-old Soda.

A few years back the three of us would have happily traveled into Manhattan to hop a few bars and head back to Brooklyn for a late night drink before heading home. The bars we frequented on Brooklyn's north side were rarely getting their parties started before 1 or 2 in the morning on a weekend anyway. But as more of Manhattan's great dives become extinct, to be replaced by trendier and pricier nightlife spots, Brooklyn is increasingly drawing the attention of Manhattanites out for a fun, interesting night on the cheap(er). Though, there are still a few of you islanders that don't know much about the Borough of Kings, even though you have three bridges and a tunnel to get you here.

So around 11 on a recent Saturday night we were surprised to find the back room of Soda totally bumping. Having just left Weather Up - a beautifully designed, low-key, yet more expensive joint down the street - we were sort of expecting the same general low-key atmosphere. We were wrong.

It was like a scene out of a college house party: bodies were strewn across the rectangular room filled with musty old couches while the resident DJ held court in the back. Soda gets a serious A+ effort on the bohemian effect.

Before long the three of us were surrounded by couples shoved up against the wall passionately making out. The plan had been to have a drink or two and catch up, not the all-night booze fueled adventure, though - don't get me wrong - those are fun too.

After a little while we gave up trying to ignore the chaos around us and shoved through the crowd to have a cigarette outside. A preppy type of guy wandered over with a loud group of about five similar looking friends in their late 20s and asked what nearby watering hole has a pool table. For better or worse I pointed the bar hoppers to the pool hall on Flatbush Avenue and Park Place. He wasn't familiar enough with the area to know how to get there.

Clearly they weren't neighborhood folk.

These inner-borough revelers were exploring and for good reason. Often drink prices are lower than Manhattan waterhing holes and Brooklyn neighborhood bars offer a more casual atmosphere, generally cater to the local set and want to keep reeling them in week after week. At which Soda succeeded. After giving out directions we returned to the bar to find a cozy window booth free at the much quieter front of the bar and we chatted, ordered a few sandwiches and headed home for the night.

Just the other day I found out that one of my oldest friends is opening a bar. The Second Chance Saloon (659 Grand Street, Brooklyn) will have its grand opening party today. So how about we make room for yet another local spot?

Copyright 2008 The New York Observer.