Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Bars and Clubs - NYC Nightlife

Default ???

What did they do, or say to have the bartender make fun of them? Ahhhh, if I were there, I would have photographed the 'tender!

Forum Veteran

I don't think he appreciated the kitsch factor in riding the ferry just for beers.

Default ahhhhh

Hmmmmm, I'd like to think that the bartender, if he had any class at all, would have appreciated the "change" from the routine! An interesting conversation could have taken place, leading to more unusual situations. But then you need a little creativity on both sides to get to that.

"Beer on the Water" "FerryBeers" (hmmmm) "ShuttleBuds"...... err

And I agree with ya Ninja, but ya gotta make best with what's there. It's not like you'd be doing that every day. Personally I dislike Bud and other A-B products.
    Last edited by AmeriKenArtist; November 12th, 2005 at 01:55 PM.

How can you look at yourself in the mirror after producing a beer as shitty as Rheingold?

I imagine that you'd be too sloshed on your own product to really care what's looking back in the mirror, Czsz.

Quote Originally Posted by AmeriKenArtist
    I'd like to think that the bartender, if he had any class at all, would have appreciated the "change" from the routine! An interesting conversation could have taken place, leading to more unusual situations. But then you need a little creativity on both sides to get to that.
    Those guys aren'ty really bartenders.

Forum Veteran

$3.50 Becks/Bud 32 oz. styrofoam big-gulp size...Greenpoint tavern in Williamsburg (right off the L, first stop at Bedford). The best beer value I've had in NYC.

Problem with that styrofoam is that it makes the beer foam, so you end up getting less beer, and the residue you get is often a tad flat.

Forum Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by ablarc
    Problem with that styrofoam is that it makes the beer foam, so you end up getting less beer, and the residue you get is often a tad flat.
    I'm sure if you told the surly bartender there (with the bee-hive hairdo) she would compensate the .98 ounces lost beer you miss out on due to their inferior drinking vessels.

Default in d'Bronx...

Reminds me of the foamy beer in styrofoam at Yankee Stadium. After being carried around by the vendor, they looked like marshmallowy sno-cones! I never thought I'd see drunkin' lunatics throwing their overpriced beers at one another! By the 7th inning, it was happening!

Intelligencer

The Great Crap-Beer Drought

Hip, cheap PBR goes missing in Brooklyn.

By Joshua M. Bernstein

There’s been a mystery brewing among the sort of dive bars in Brooklyn that appeal to rigorously trendy, budget-minded twentysomethings: What’s become of their favorite watery lager, Pabst Blue Ribbon? Pabst, which took off in popularity in the last few years, became a textbook case of how to market a brand without seeming to. Hipsters, already fascinated by down-market accessories like trucker caps, took to the low-rent beer with ironic fervor. Which is why it was so traumatic that, over the past few months, die-hard Pabst bars have reported that their regular orders have gone unfulfilled. “It’s a bummer,” says set designer Bryn Bowen, who recently tried to order a PBR at Lodge, a bar in Williamsburg, but found it was out. “I’m a connoisseur of working-class shit beer.” Taggart (who wouldn’t give his full name), the manager at another Williamsburg bar, the Southside Lounge, which has a $5 Jim Beam–and–PBR special, says he gave up trying to get Pabst after weeks of trouble. Garal Wholesalers, the brand’s Long Island and Queens distributor, says that a company called Diversified Distribution used to handle Brooklyn for it, until DD recently went out of business. So about a month ago, Garal took Brooklyn back, but a Garal rep admits that there was a “bit of a problem” getting Pabst to the Brooklyn bars during the changeover. “People were pissed off,” says Chase Elder, a bartender at Lodge, “but luckily we have other crappy beer.”

UGH! Pabst SUCKS!

Man! I can understand getting nostalgic, or just plain being cheap, but complaining about not having crappy beer?

There are dozens that taste exactly like it!

It is like complaining that the piss on the bathroom floor does not smell quite the same anymore!

:P

Default A Beer Story

While visiting the City over the summer,I came across a beer that was new to me--a brew called Stella Artois.
    On the way into town from JFK,I noticed large,obviously expensive signs for it,posted seemingly everywhere.On the West Side,the Apple Bank--which is shrouded for renovation--had a flapping,2-story banner wrapping the building and extolling the beer.I'd never heard the name before this,and beer stuff is something I obsess about,like a low-budget oenophile who thinks a lot about bagged wines would obsess over tonight's box.
    As a beer connoisseur my curiosity was piqued.

Well,Stella Marketing people,you're advertising worked and I found myself deviating from the Path of Beck's and ordering a Stella at my first opportunity.It happened moments after I left my hotel for my inaugural walkabout.I passed a small bar on Broadway,near the Beacon Theatre,heard Willie Nelson played loudly from inside and had a stop.A Stella banner over the entrance whipped on the wind.I felt a sudden,necessary thirst.
    You could smoke at the bar.
    Stella was $3.50 a pint,cheap anywhere,extraordinary for New York.I consumed mass quantities all over Manhattan as the days progressed and found it quite good for a cheap drink.It has the color of Heineken's and the flavor of Coors,a mellow beer,lightly bitter with hoppy undertones.European,I thought.Domestic,actually.
    A New York-only phenomonon???
    From some Bronx microbrewer,possibly?

When I got back to Florida,I swaggered into my favorite bar,"Beer",and confidently ordered a Stella.The bartender,a fellow beer obsessor,had never heard of it,and he knows everything.
    He asked around,asked his vendors,even got online.It's not available in Florida,not even in the supermarket-sized liquor stores that stock ALL beers--like,stuff from Zimbabwe or Moldava--so it's back to Beck's and the hopes that Stella Artois is still around--and cheap--when I next visit New York.

Who knows from Stella?
    And who the hell is she,anyway?

Woops,I forgot--Stella IS European,from Belgium.Sorry.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast