Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Bars and Clubs - NYC Nightlife

Default Stella in Florida.

I've just bought my first 6-pack of Stella Artois here in Florida,and it was $7.95,not exactly cheap.I had never noticed the beer before around here,but after discovering it on last summers' trip to NYC,I was actively looking for it.
    It's Beck's priced.
    Each bottle has the neck wrapped in upscale white plasto-paper,and you need a bottle opener to get at it's liquids.
    That's how you can tell it's European.No twistoff bottlecap technology in Europe,apparently.They'll forever be 2 steps behind America in some things.

Evidently,Stella was heavily test marketing their suds in NYC last summer,looking for ways to increase market share and consumer recognition,and it worked.Now they have expanded their efforts to cover the East Coast.
    It's still not available in draught,and when I ask for it,I always get a "wha..???" from the bartender.
    And my favorite bar,"BEER" won't even consider stocking it,since I'm the only one who orders it,and I mostly drink Beck's anyway.

When I was in college I worked in a beer distributor and one time my boss let me take home a can of every single cheap beer that they sold for a taste test.

We had eveything from Golden Anniversary (which then cost only $1.99 a six pack!) to the most expensive, Budweiser. The winner: Piels. The runner up was Pabst.

Bud didn't even place.

My fave cheap beer is good old "Birra Moretti". It´s Italian and since drinking in Italy is tied to eating, it´s a great table beer.... with lunch or dinner. In the hot summer I switch to this over red wine with many dishes.

http://www.birramoretti.it/eng/html/premi.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Hof
    I've just bought my first 6-pack of Stella Artois here in Florida,and it was $7.95,not exactly cheap.I had never noticed the beer before around here,but after discovering it on last summers' trip to NYC,I was actively looking for it.
    It's Beck's priced.
    Each bottle has the neck wrapped in upscale white plasto-paper,and you need a bottle opener to get at it's liquids.
    That's how you can tell it's European.No twistoff bottlecap technology in Europe,apparently.They'll forever be 2 steps behind America in some things.

Evidently,Stella was heavily test marketing their suds in NYC last summer,looking for ways to increase market share and consumer recognition,and it worked.Now they have expanded their efforts to cover the East Coast.
    It's still not available in draught,and when I ask for it,I always get a "wha..???" from the bartender.
    And my favorite bar,"BEER" won't even consider stocking it,since I'm the only one who orders it,and I mostly drink Beck's anyway.
    It is available in draft.

You can get it at the bowling alley at Port Authority, and I believe there is a signature restaurant with its name in the meat packing district.

I think the guy you asked may have just been confused with the term "draft" and many NYC places don't have anything even remotely resembling a tap.

As for "advanced technology" I hate to say it, but it is usually only the cheap beers that have twist-offs. The most expensive I have seen with that "feature" have been:

Yuengling
    Saranack
    Killians

That's about it. Sam, Anchor Steam, Brooklyn, Sierra, Magic Hat, 6 Point, and a bunch of otehrs brewed here in the US use the pop-caps.

I think it may have something to do with tehreliability of the seal. I have seen many more rusty threads than pop-caps. It could also be simply the cost of changing all the machinery and supply line for going from one format to another.

Also, you call yourself a beer drinker and do not have a bottle opener on your keychain or pocketknife?

Quote Originally Posted by GowanusGuy
    When I was in college I worked in a beer distributor and one time my boss let me take home a can of every single cheap beer that they sold for a taste test.

We had eveything from Golden Anniversary (which then cost only $1.99 a six pack!) to the most expensive, Budweiser. The winner: Piels. The runner up was Pabst.

Bud didn't even place.

Bud is to BOSE as Crap is to:

a) Elevator Music
    b) Reality TV
    c) Brittney Spears
    d) Crap
    e) All of the above.

Talking Bar needed

Coming to NY in Sept - cannot get tickets for Yanks vs Red Sox, but would quite like to watch the game in a bar

Not really looking for ESPN Zone, seems a bit too huge & impersonal

Can anyone recommend a decent neighborhood/sports bar where Yankee games are likely to be available and the regulars won't mind an English Yankee fan joining in the (hopefully) celebrations

Thanks guys

What part of town will you be staying in / want to go to see the game?

Staying in Chelsea, but have no problem watching the game in any area (within reason)
    Don't really want to go to the Bronx - will be painful to be so close & yet so far

Here's a Big Batch of Sports Bars

And there is always Mickey Mantles

Thanks Lofter - Most helpful (as always) nt

Default Match in new york (in creole please)...

Ok! Here I am:

Si ou sav exatèman ki moun ka commuiqé tout' frustrasyon y matnik épi tout' koté man passé, ouvè djôl ou an bon fwa pou tout pou nou fini épi sa, you hear me?
    Zôt paka fini testé alo ke zôt sav ki moun ka emmerdé mwen!!

Ldjé lestonmac mwen épi arété chèché tout ti prétex ki ni pou frennen landjèt manman zôt!!
    épi autre chose: man pa aidé pesonn anlè planèt ta la; une dernière fois: arété chèché mwen!!

Default Church Key

Ninja--some of the more expensive beers on my list of 'Yeah,I've had that",came with twistoff bottle caps or pop-top cans.They were:
    ...Kirin,a delicious Japanese rice beer;goes with sushi like wine does with chicken...;
    ...Sapporo,another Jap delicacy,which comes in an elegant,tall chrome can(pop top),looking like something salvaged from a MOMA beer bar...;
    ...A dark Italian beer,whose name I can't recall,in a DaVinci painted longneck bottle with a Bud-easy twistoff...;
    ...T'sing T'ao (sp),Chinese and inscruitable,except for the pull-tab...;
    ...Others,which,unfortunately I don't remember much about,nor have since the morning after I was introduced to them....

And yes,I carry a Swiss Army knife-like key ring,mainly for beer emergencies. It's a palm-sized NASCAR Dodge leather pouch that I got at Daytona a few years ago.It's clever as hell...The Dodge Ram comes out of the pouch and the ram horns are:
    a bottle opener;
    a can opener;
    a screwdriver;
    a small,sharp blade;
    a metal punch; and once,a corkscrew.
    It's opened a million Beck's.
    TSA attendants get apopleplectic when they see it,so I leave it at home when I fly.

When NASCAR comes to NY,everybody in NYC will have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hof
    Ninja--some of the more expensive beers on my list of 'Yeah,I've had that",came with twistoff bottle caps or pop-top cans.They were:
    ...Kirin,a delicious Japanese rice beer;goes with sushi like wine does with chicken...;
    Japanese rice beer. It is OK, but not as good as Yebesu. And it was modeled after Budweiser.

...Sapporo,another Jap delicacy,which comes in an elegant,tall chrome can(pop top),looking like something salvaged from a MOMA beer bar...;
    Um.... Yeah. I don't know how to say this, but the Japanese are not really known for their beer. Going to Tokyo last year I was not too impressed with the selection. It is mostly pilsner, and quite a few are riced (they mix their mash with rice to make it lighter, and cheaper to make).

...A dark Italian beer,whose name I can't recall,in a DaVinci painted longneck bottle with a Bud-easy twistoff...;
    There may be a FEW that have twist-offs, but for every one you mentioned, I can mention 5 that do not use the twistoff..

...T'sing T'ao (sp),Chinese and inscruitable,except for the pull-tab...;
    ...Others,which,unfortunately I don't remember much about,nor have since the morning after I was introduced to them....
    ANOTHER light asian pilsner.

The Chinese are also not known for their beer dude. Trust me on this one (Fiancee is Chinese. Their family still looks at me funny when I drink anything but Bud, which only their old smoking aunt drinks...)

And yes,I carry a Swiss Army knife-like key ring,mainly for beer emergencies. It's a palm-sized NASCAR Dodge leather pouch that I got at Daytona a few years ago.It's clever as hell...The Dodge Ram comes out of the pouch and the ram horns are:
    a bottle opener;
    a can opener;
    a screwdriver;
    a small,sharp blade;
    a metal punch; and once,a corkscrew.
    It's opened a million Beck's.
    TSA attendants get apopleplectic when they see it,so I leave it at home when I fly.

When NASCAR comes to NY,everybody in NYC will have one.
    Yep, the SAK or bottleopener is handy to have. I miss the corkscrew on my current one (it is a slim one) but there are few corked beers, or places that serve wine that do not have an opener.....

Anywho, we are sorta off topic with that. Suffice to say that most cheap beers, whether made or priced, have the twisties. I still do not know why there is that delineation though.

Maybe someone else knows why....
    Last edited by Ninjahedge; May 10th, 2006 at 09:59 AM.

At Last - a meaningful and useful post in the forum!

American mass market beer IMHO represents all that is evil, bad, culturally threatening, a danger to world peace and the major threat to civilisation and the tourism from UK to US at the very least. In a British pub the mass market swill passed off as beer in the US would be called "Evian"; at best that mass market, bland, tasteless coloured water might be served to children. And why does it have to be so cold? Pop it in a micro wave for a few minutes before serving!

Stella Artois, sponsor of big tennis tournaments is an everyday beer in Europe but in the UK it was branded as an upmarket beer with a seriously up rip off market price, it seems they are trying the same trick in the US. In reality, beers are just a brand and are brewed locally according to local tastes or in American case, tastelessness!

In Belgium there are beers for every time of the day, breakfast beers, mid morning beers, lunch time beers, afternoon beers, dinner beers, getting off your face beers, last chance of the night beer goggle beers so if America can put a man on the moon, why can't they make a decent mass market beer?

There was a big court case here not long ago between Budweiser and the original Czech Budweiser who emerged from behind the iron curtain; same label but totally different beer. The Czechs won. It can be done.

Seriously - this is a topic very close to my heart. Less on military budgets and more on real beer. Sort it out.

Mines a pint of Cain's :¬)

hic.

Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast