Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Bars and Clubs - NYC Nightlife

^ Here is a good website about clubs and stuff...

http://www.velvetlist.com/

Default Bars to watch the World Cup in

We'll be staying about the Central Park area. Are there any bars nearby that will be showing it? Failing that, do you think the hotel channels will show it? ESPN, I think it's on?

East side or west side?

ETA: Central Park runs from 59th to 110th Street, so it would help if you could narrow it down.
    Last edited by Schadenfrau; June 27th, 2006 at 03:34 PM. Reason: More Questions

About 3:30 this afternoon it seemed that every other storefront in the Village (bars, shops, restaurants, delis -- everywhere) had a TV on showing the Spain / France match.

It should be no trouble finding a place to watch just about anywhere in Manhattan.

Default best places to buy beer (retail) and bars/pubs with the most variety

Anyone have suggestions for good/best places to buy beer in any of the boroughs (though a pref for Manhattan and Queens). Qualifiers = selection (this is key), price (important, but obviously it varies), and location (least important). Places with 6 packs, 12 packs, cases, kegs, etc.

In addition, where some of the best places to go to find new, interesting, odd, etc beer varieties? I swear I remember an episode of Law & Order that involved a bar that had a banana beer on tap. I also remember a friend of grad school who grew up here telling me about a place that had "beers" tha were 15% or more (something like that). Stuff like that and an interesting mix of US micro and imported beers. Places with good prices are obviously always nice.

Thanks.

The place he was talking about was probably the Blind Tiger.

try www.blindtigeralehouse.com

They are not in buisness now, but they have two "sister" bars that are close to the same type of crowd. BT will re-open soon though.

BTW, beers that have high contents like that are usually called "barleywines" and can range anywhere from malty-sweet to some of the bitterest stuff on earth.

You want a smattering? Go over to the Peculiar Pub. It is bretty much a NYU hangout though, so although it has "100s of beers" about 50 or 60 of them are "Insert name here" Light.

Oh, one other place people have reccomended is the Beergarden in, I think, Astoria.

Hope this helps!

As for $$, just go to NJ. It is WAY to $$ in NYC.

I like Hop Devil Grill on St Marks and Ave A. they have the best selection I have encountered in Manhattan This place can get pricey.. but for the best beer selection you will have to pay at a bar.

Astoria Beer garden isnt the place to go if selection if what u are looking for. But its fun none the less. (29th st and 24th Ave) A pitcher of Hoegardden will run you $14 here.. its about 3 glasses.

There is also a croxley's ale on 28th and ave b. I have never been to this location but been to both of the long island locations.

I also suggest making the trip to the Brooklyn Brewery in williamsburg.. you will get to try some of the brews u can not find that easily in the market.. and u might be able to pick up a free beer or 2. Plus you can always pick up a cse of their beer....like the good ole monster ale.

hope this helps...

Ugh, I was not a fan of the sausage party known as The Blind Tiger.

DBA has a great beer selection, and is friendly to both women and the gays:

http://newyorkmetro.com/listings/bar/dba/

It's not retail but Zum Schneider on Avenue C at E. 7th St. has good Bavarian beer and (very tasty Bavarian food, too) ...

RATE_BEER

Zum Schneider
    "...a welcome respite from the claustrophobic Sturm und Drang
    of so many East Village booze parlors."
    http://www.zumschneider.com/index.htm

107 Avenue C
    New York, New York 10009
    (212) 598-1098

[map]

New Beer Distributors (Manhattan) -

RateBeer's #5 Best U.S. Beer Store for 2006.

The largest selection and lowest prices. Lower East Side - essentially 2nd Ave, three blocks south of 1st St.

New Beer Distributors
    167 Chrystie St.
    New York, New York 10002 [map]
    (212) 473-8757

Forum Veteran

Mugs Alehouse in Williamsburg has variety on tap.

My local store, Thrifty Beverage Center in Cobble Hill, is probably the best beer retailer in the city. They also sell kegs.

256 Court Street
    Brooklyn, NY 11231
    (718) 875-0226

some reviews:
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/8fQKT4wS-PxdKjhY1sI9Iw

"As a Brit who is quite partial to some English ale this was my most exciting discovery after moving to the neighbourhood. Best selection of imported beer I've found anywhere in the US. Domestic beer selection is great too and some available in jug and keg. I think I cleaned them out of the finest English ale (Black Sheep bitter), but I'm hoping my request to get some more in didn't fall on deaf ears..."

"If you love beer and you know it, get yourself on over to Thrifty's. If you don't live in the neighborhood, you'll need a car, or call a service, because you're going to want to stock up on not just the imports, but also all the fabulously-priced domestic beers on the shelf here. Plus, they have tons of great non-alcoholic drinks that you can't really find anywhere else. Like Fizz. I love that stuff. And tons of Canadian beer, although I can never find Sleeman's or Warthog. If someone knows how to get their hands on some of that stuff down here, let me know. I miss the Honey Brown Ale."

If you really want to try some obscure beers, go to Spuyten Duyvil in Brooklyn. It's located at 359 Metropolitan Avenue near the Lorimer Avenue station on the L train.

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau
    Ugh, I was not a fan of the sausage party known as The Blind Tiger.
    Did you go on a weekday?

I usually went on Cheese Wednesday. I heard that it got rather packed on the weekends though.

DBA has a great beer selection, and is friendly to both women and the gays:

http://newyorkmetro.com/listings/bar/dba/
    Um.... somehow I do not think "friendliness to girls and gays" was one of the criteria....

I, for one, go looking for a bar with great beer and good prices (as well as nice atmosphere). What the heck does the rainbow room have to do with beer selection?

But, back on topic. There is one more place for some good German beer and food. Lorely's down near the Bowrey Ballroom. (Two blocks down, on the left south of Houston, halfway between Bowrey and the small strip-park).

I would also recommend Brooklyn Brewery too, but ONLY if you are a beer fan. There is not much else there it has to offer (besides T-shirts! )

PS Shade, the place you linked to DOES sound nice (beer wise)

There's a long-running debate as to whether the name stands for "doing business as," "don't bother asking" or "drink better ale." We'll argue for the latter: d.b.a. boasts more than 150 varieties of beer, from hand-pulled ales and seasonal boutique microbrews to fruit-infused lambics. One hundred thirty single-malt Scotches and more than sixty tequilas round out the list. In summer, a giant, covered back patio does a convincing impression of a Bavarian beer garden—and creates breathing room. After work and on weekends, the crush of khaki can be unbearable, as can the wait for attention from the leather-clad ladies behind the bar.
    — Jenifer Van Vleck

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast