Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Bars and Clubs - NYC Nightlife

Good news for all on these hot summer days ...

New Law Allows Earlier Beer Sales On Sundays

NY1
    July 30, 2006

A new state law is in effect Sunday that allows stores to start selling beer at 8 a.m., instead of waiting until noon.

The old rule was part of the state's so-called blue laws.

Lawmakers say the change will make it easier for those who are traveling, among others.

Before 2003 stores couldn't sell liquor on Sundays at all.

Copyright © 2006 NY1 News.

Question Murray Hill Bars

Hi there,

Heading to NY and will be staying in Murray Hill 'round Sept. Looking for a good bar/pub with a Cheers like atmosphere in the Murray Hill/Midtown area for the 30-40 crowd. Read about some of the pubs in Murray Hill being heavily laden with young college grads, not interested in that. Just looking for a good place to go and have a drink or two after a long day of sightseeing. Thanks!

You're not likely to find a "Cheers" aesthetic anywhere outside of syndication, but I love the Cabin Club at Pinetree Lodge:

http://newyork.citysearch.com/profile/7120947/

Default Where everybody knows my name?

Quote Originally Posted by Schadenfrau View Post
    You're not likely to find a "Cheers" aesthetic anywhere outside of syndication, but I love the Cabin Club at Pinetree Lodge:
    Ha, yes. Well, you know what I meant. Someplace not too overcrowded and ultra hip where the drinks cost more than the food. I will check this one out, thanks.

The hairy monk on 25th and 3rd . its a personal fav!

Default McHales & Kevin StJames bars.

When we were over in February McHales had just closed it's doors for the last time,also word was that Kevin StJames bar in Hells kitchen was to be levelled!
    Has there been any movement on either building,has any work started yet???What are they to be replaced with?
    Thanks in anticipation.
    Ginger.

McHales is now a hole in the ground.

St. James is still there, but a tower is planned for that block.

Info starting HERE

Default Sports Bars in Downtown Manhattan

Downtown Manhattan is slowly losing its biggest and best sports bars. Busters Garage is fighting the good fight down in Tribeca but it is not looking good. It is currently closed and its most recent plan to reopen got shot down by CB1.

I just heard that Steve Hanson is taking over the lease at Park Avenue Country Club and is opening yet another big, wildly successful restaurant (most likely a steak house). While the restaurant may be a welcome addition to that neighborhood, PACC has become one of the mainstay sports bars downtown.

With PACC and Busters gone (and Hudson sports grill a few years back), what is left? I know of a bunch of small bars with TVs but there don't seem to be any big, good sports bars left downtown. My sense is that they can make money if the lease is right so I don't get it.

Anyone know of any hidden gems? Obviously there is ESPNZone and the stuff on the upper east or upper west but I don't know if anything decent downtown other than The Tonic which is enormous but has seating for about 20 people.

Default yes...

Nevada smith's is great for soccer but doesn't seem to get too into it for college and pro football. The Tonic on 29th and 3rd may end up being the new place to go. Everything else downtown is really small.

I like Paris Tavern on South St. and Peck Slip to watch sports. It's not a "sports bar", but they have all the games on, and usually a fun, mixed crowd.

And look!

There is an apartment for rent! You could get a place right upstairs!!! You could think of it as your living room!!!

As for Sports bars in general, I think they are being relegated to the suburbs. Hoboken has tried, but most of the places that have people who wnat to watch anything are too small to have enough screens, and the others try to cater to different crowds.

I just do not know if there is THAT much of a devoted sports crowd that would be worth the rent AND the upkeep (they are one of the most destructive clientelle out there).

GL finding one though! I always liked the less commercial establishments for watching these things. Much more homey.

Any bar can be a "sports bar" with enough screens.

Little place on Chambers near W Broadway called Mudville is pretty good for Sunday football.

Has anyone been to Jeremy's Ale House since they moved up Front St?

Looks a little upscale from the old truck garage. Wonder if they still serve beer in giant styrofoam cups, and if there are bras and ties hanging from the ceiling.

Yes^ Jeremy's brought the bras and styrofoam with them when they moved. Still good for a cheap bender.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast