Thread: NY attitudes

Default NY attitudes

I've lived in a few cities now, Belfast, Edinburgh and London, and out them I feel the most for Edinburgh, it was youthful, friendly, active and the people were fantastically friendly and able to build bonds quickly. Can anyone compare NY to these cities? I know we shouldn't speak too generally, but there is often a majority feel to a place...

Apologies for the novice nature of the question, but if I'm going to settle down I need to cover all bases I suppose.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by unconstituted
    I've lived in a few cities now, Belfast, Edinburgh and London, and out them I feel the most for Edinburgh, it was youthful, friendly, active and the people were fantastically friendly and able to build bonds quickly. Can anyone compare NY to these cities? I know we shouldn't speak too generally, but there is often a majority feel to a place...

Apologies for the novice nature of the question, but if I'm going to settle down I need to cover all bases I suppose.
    Brooklyn - angry, complaining, in your face, screaming, honest, no tact, cursing. But I am just describing me

New Yorkers tell it like it is, and often enjoy minimul BS along the way.

I've found most New Yorkers to be very friendly. In truth, I think California has the rudest people on the entire earth.

"and out them I feel the most for Edinburgh, it was youthful, friendly, active and the people were fantastically friendly and able to build bonds quickly"

Take the PATH train across the river from Manhattan to Hoboken NJ, much younger, friendlier, and active group than NYC.

More of affluent and professional College town feel.

Banned Member

Residents of Manhattan and Brooklyn are generally very friendly. My eperience is that the taller the neighborhood gets (i.e. folks living in high-rises) the less friendly it gets.

I think New Yorkers get a bad rap from the rush hour commuters, who will walk through you if you are in their way. The people in the neighborhoods I've lived in were laid back and friendly, because there wasn't that "scheduled" train to catch or last bus of the night.

Quote Originally Posted by BrooklynRider
    Residents of Manhattan and Brooklyn are generally very friendly. My eperience is that the taller the neighborhood gets (i.e. folks living in high-rises) the less friendly it gets.

I think New Yorkers get a bad rap from the rush hour commuters, who will walk through you if you are in their way. The people in the neighborhoods I've lived in were laid back and friendly, because there wasn't that "scheduled" train to catch or last bus of the night.
    I can see High-rise people being kinda snooty, but I've also heard of lots of charity going on in those neighborhoods as well.

Do you think NY counts as a compassionate city? Many anti-NY/anti-city people claim cities are cold and unfeeling. Do you agree?

Banned Member

I think New York is very charitable and compassionate. Considering the population, the services here are very good. But, I would caution, the new Federal, State & City budgets, undermine many human service programs and competely cut others.

Forum Veteran

Cold? Unfeeling? Certainly not! Just because we live in apartments and brownstones as opposed to subdivisions or rural towns doesn't mean that we have no sense of community. I'm friendly with the people who live in my building, I know the owners of the restaurants and shops of the area. I live in as much of a neighborhood as does anyone else. Anyone who says otherwise needs to be hit over the head with a copy of The Death and Life of Great American Cities.

Softcover, of course