Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: GM + Apple = the Louvre?

Great vid on the store this AM on CBS -- a tour with the Apple VP...

Looks great:

Grand Opening
    Tonight at 6:00 p.m.

The Apple Store, Fifth Avenue opens tonight—and will stay open 24/7/365. So you can get the help you need when you need it. To start things off right, we're giving away a new MacBook every hour for 24 hours straight,* and the first 2500 visitors will receive a limited-edition T-shirt. This is one all-nighter you don't want to miss.

Based on the stunning photos posted so far it actually exceeds my expectations - much more transparent than I thought possible. Nicely done.

Forum Veteran

Yes, i read u2 is in Africa on a three week tour, just started the other day so it would be kinda hard for them to come in and go back so quick

Thumbs up

Wow I am glad that the cube was built. It is just very cool. I need to see it in person.

I just walked by -- truly amazing; truly unbelievable. Far exceeds expectations... and i am a jaded new yorker.

I've noticed that not a single shot has been taken (or at least posted) so far with the cube in sunlight. I've looked at the shadow angles, and it seems that everyone is taking pictures in the span of 2-3 hours during the morning while the sun is still off to the east with the GM blocking it out. What gives? I want to see if it glows in any special way when lit up, and logic would dictate that the sun will be directly overhead at some point during the day..

Quote Originally Posted by elfgam
    I just walked by -- truly amazing; truly unbelievable. Far exceeds expectations... and i am a jaded new yorker.
    The trusty LMDC brain trust cited the GM below ground mall when they decided on a a below ground plaza concept for GZ. We all know how dreary the concept was at GM. It's amazing what a glass tower can do to a white elephant. Think of how many problems could be addressed at GZ if they followed the same approach there!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kznyc2k
    I've noticed that not a single shot has been taken (or at least posted) so far with the cube in sunlight.
    I will be curious though to see how they keep Apple glass clean and address issues when the sun starts beating down on it.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Good questions. I've got one more:

How will wheel-chaired patrons be able to get into this place?

There is an elevator in the center of the cube, next to the stairs.

I walked by today right after the rainstorm. Big crowd taking a look. The glass cube is finely detailed. The fins are about 3-4" think with simple stainles steel attachement clips both on the vertical faces and the roof. Quite a beautiful and seemingly simple construction.

There doesn't seem to be any way to clean the inside of the cube, and considering it's open 24/7 you couldn't use a manlift (not to mention the stair and elevator in the way). There are self cleaning glass coatings that exist, but I don't know if they are regularly used and from what I understand they need to be washed down every now and then to remove the dirt. There might be a way to use a basket but that usually requires a track of some sort, which i couldn't see but that doesn't mean it's not there... I also couldn't find the conduit for the wires to provide power to the Apple logo suspended in the space. Of course I couldn't get closer than 30 feet away because of the barricades. Maybe they just plan on using the long squeegee poles like you see cleaning crews using on the bottom 30' of a lot of buildings.

The stair itself is remarkable. No steel or metal framing at all... just curving glass balustrades with the glass steps hung from it. Same thing for the elevator walls although that's a bit more similar to the Prada store in Soho.

There was one odd thing, when the sun caught the fins on an angle, there seemed to be some sort of pattern on the face of them. They weren't perfectly clear... that was the only flaw I could find in an otherwise pristine glass box.

I just took a walk over to the site. Wow the cube looks absolutely amazing! Unfortunately the lines are way to long to wait in right now, but I am going to head back over late nite tonite. Just wanted to say how amazing the cube looks and what an improvement on the area. Columbus Circle on the other end and now this huge improvement on this corner. NYC is on the move!

Apple is rumored to have a third store in the works on 34th street right across from the Empire State Building.

The expected space is 50,000 square feet, with 75 feet of street store front.

It'll be interesting to see if Apple uses all of this space and what it look like.

Architectural Padawan

I went over to the line at around 5pm... gave up at around 6:30.. will just go back after midnight to see how bad the lines still are. Anyway... the line started at the entrance, went to 58th street, down to Madison, up to 59th street, back to 5th ave, back to the start of the line, back to 59th, across 59th, back to madison, and then continued up madison before it got out of my view. a truly amazing feat for apple!

WOW. It's perfect looking in person. I couldn't get all of the angles I wanted in these photos because of all the heads, bodies, and barricades in the way!
    It's a madhouse over there. More people lined up than I ever imagined, it goes around the entire block and then up past Crate and Barrel to 62nd.
    I never saw a more diverse crowd in all my life. Passersby were shocked and amazed at the crowd. For Apple this is a true triumph.
    I may return in the wee hours ( I live a few minutes from there) to see if I can get in, though it looked like it may be packed all night.

These pictures were just taken 20 minutes ago.

ka - ching!!!

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast