Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread: GM + Apple = the Louvre?

Macworld
    May 31, 2006

New York Apple Store lovers tell proposal story

By Jonny Evans

Apple launched its latest flagship New York Apple retail store this month, and the moment became the scene for a romantic wedding proposal - we caught up with the couple concerned.

Apple offered time-lapse photography from the first 24-hours of the store opening. A love-struck bachelor called James saw the moment as a golden opportunity to propose marriage to his partner of four years, Uschi.

He exploited the time-lapse sessions to hold a series of signs proposing marriage, signs which were soon spotted by eagle-eyed members of the Mac community.

James explained: "The day before my proposal we went to the store opening where we queued for hours. That's when I first saw the time-lapse camera. Uschi didn't notice the camera at all, but the proposal idea started to brew in my head while we were in line."

He told Macworld that he felt the pressure of what he wanted to do - he wanted to make a special proposal to his lady love, and he thought the time-lapse photos would offer spice to his lifetime proposal.

Action plan

The young couple got home that night at 10pm - but the lovesick young man got no sleep - his plan kept revolving around his mind, until 4.30 am, when he decided to put it into action.

"I snuck out of bed without her noticing and went down to the store again with a marker and some poster papers and proposed to the love of my life," he told Macworld.

Intense in purpose, James said he, "stood there for about 15 minutes, holding each sign for about five minutes to ensure it'll get at least two frames per poster."

It's a hazy, crazy memory, he smiled: "In retrospect, it was surreal. One of those crazy, impulsive, aneurysmal things. I certainly didn't know it would get out of hand and be all over the internet like this."

The ardent wannabe groom talked himself into a nervous romantic funk: "Shortly after I did it, I actually wondered whether this was the best proposal. I thought it wasn't as romantic as a proposal under a beautiful sunset on white sandy beach, especially since I'm from Hawaii."

Candles

He later added an even more romantic personal moment of proposal. "I proposed to her with candlelights leading to my Mac in my apartment. I was on bended knee beside her, ring in my hand. There were tears, there was laughter, there was my G5. It was awesome," he said.

His efforts weren't in vain. His partner - now fiancee - Uschi accepted his proposal, and let slip that she had been expecting him to propose since Christmas "when he had a 'talk' with my dad".

She confessed: "I was expecting the proposal to be incredibly romantic, just knowing his style. I should have suspected it would involve a Mac since I know that is his second love. On May 22 at 11.30pm, he set up the apartment with a romantic trail of candles leading up to his Power Mac G5, where he had me watch the video online for the first time."

Seeing the signs

The blushing bride-to-be, "couldn't believe what I was seeing at first, and I was speechless with disbelief at seeing him on the computer and secondly at what the signs said."

She had been waiting for him, she admitted: "I had thought endlessly about what it would feel like to have James propose to me and about officially starting our life together," she smiled.

"He is the sweetest, most adventurous, loving man, and I've always felt so lucky to have him in my life. We have been through so much together since college, and when I reflect on how amazing a match he is for me it all seems so unreal. In that moment when he was bend down on one knee it brought that all rushing back, and I couldn't believe it was actually happening. Those thoughts lasted a few seconds, and then, of course, I said yes!"

She sees the proposal's existence on Apple's website as an added bonus, as anyone can see it for themselves. "It's like having the most unique, glamorous, and timeless proposal, with the whole world as our witness," she said. "I can't wait to say 'iDo'!"

All contents ©IDG 2006

Quote Originally Posted by James
    There were tears, there was laughter, there was my G5. It was awesome.
    LOL!

Divorce within a decade, and a nasty court fight over who gets all the technology.

That would be quite contrary to Apple's quarterly financial release to Wall Street, the first quarter of 2006 Apple Retail reached over 1 Billion in revenue which is a 91% increase year over year. Apple Store is making more profit per unit sale than Best Buy and Circuit City.
    Apple store sales slowed somewhat in the fall and winter. This was mainly due to people waiting for the new Macs with the Intel chips.

Yes that is the ebb and flow of all business. Some quarters are great, some quarters are ok.

That's entirely different from sales going into a negative free fall.

Curbed
    Jun 12, 2006

Starchitect Sightings: Calatrava Does the Apple Store

by Robert

Santiago Calatrava took some time off from working on the Governors Island gondola this weekend and was spotted by a quick-with-the-digi-cam tipster ascending the stairs (lower of the two people) at the new Apple store on Fifth Avenue. Our Monday midday blahs are now cured.

Copyright © 2006 Curbed

From The Register:

Apple's NY Fifth Avenue store is an 'insult to Islam'

Ka'ba lookalike ruffles feathers

By Lester Haines

Wednesday 11th October 2006 15:06 GMT

According to a report on The Middle East Media Research Institute, Apple's NY Fifth Avenue store has been slammed by "an Islamic website" as a "new insult to Islam".

The reason? Well, it resembles the Muslims' sacred Ka'ba, situated in the Masjid al-Haram mosque in Mecca:

The "Islamic website" claims that since the offending structure is known as the "Apple Mecca", and "contains bars selling alcoholic beverages", it constitutes "a blatant insult to Islam". The site accordingly calls on Muslims to spread the word in the hope that "Muslims will be able to stop the project".

Sadly, it's a bit late for that, since the store opened for business back in May. We do have some good news, though. As far as we're aware it's not called the "Apple Mecca", it does not serve alcoholic beverages, and neither Jack Straw nor Salman Rushdie work behind the counter. ®

Can you do anything that doesn’t offend Islam?

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

Not only are they intolerant but apparently, also can't get their facts straight.

Death to Steve Jobs!

multiple insults ...

^ Lol!!

But these are little insults. That is an additional insult.

Off with your head!

Ok...

Different as ...

Quote Originally Posted by krulltime View Post

The Dude Abides

One is transparent, symbolic of capitalism, and welcoming to the outside world.

The other is opaque, mysterious, and symbolic of religion. But people don't actually venture inside it, right?

Maybe they're all waiting for it to open up, just as thousands of Apple enthusiasts waited outside Jobs' cube back in May, before it opened.

Does anyone know if the Egyptians objected to the addition to the Louvre, when it first opened? Strangely enough, that one leads underground, too. Maybe I'm on to something...

Hmm.. maybe they think is going to be a black box, hence they see the construction photo below...

Apple's "Mecca Project" Provokes Muslim Reaction

On October 10, 2006,

an Islamic website posted a message alerting Muslims to what it claims is a new insult to Islam. According to the message, the cube-shaped building which is being constructed in New York City, on Fifth Avenue between 58th and 59th Streets in midtown Manhattan, is clearly meant to provoke Muslims. The fact that the building resembles the Ka'ba (see picture below), is called "Apple Mecca," is intended to be open 24 hours a day like the Ka'ba, and moreover, contains bars selling alcoholic beverages, constitutes a blatant insult to Islam. The message urges Muslims to spread this alert, in hope that "Muslims will be able to stop the project."

http://memri.org/bin/latestnews.cgi?ID=SD131506