Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: GM + Apple = the Louvre?

Architectural Padawan

http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0602gm.html

Manhattan Apple store to be first 24/7 location
    By Ryan Katz, Senior Editor

February 8, 2006 - Apple's upcoming midtown Manhattan retail store will mark a first for the company as sources report the location will be open 24 hours a day. The store, located in the underground retail plaza of the General Motors Building on Fifth Avenue between 58th and 59th Street will also be among the first stores to offer customers an iPod Bar.

The 25,000-square-foot store will dwarf Apple's SoHo location and will be capped by a 32-foot glass cube that will stand in front of the building and house the stairs and elevators that will take customers underground to the Apple retail store.

Sources report that construction of the store is on track to be completed in April, with the store expected to open by the end of May.

Meanwhile, Wednesday's edition of Boulder's Daily Camera reports that Apple has leased a 4,900 square-foot location in the Twenty Ninth Street shopping center, just a short drive away from the Flatiron Crossing Mall in Broomfield, CO, where Apple also plans to open a store this year.

Forum Veteran

Is that our macreator in the comments?

Quote Originally Posted by ryan
    Is that our macreator in the comments?
    You caught me

I couldn't let someone's comment that the GM building is on 6th Avenue go uncorrected.

I'm really excited about this Apple Store, it will definitely brighten up that spot of Fifth at night with some slick design and it looks like the GM plaza will finally work out as a destination after years of various ill-fated renovations.

Plus, my 3 AM iPod cravings will now be satisfied

That's what i love- the round-the-clock hours. It should generate some pedestrian traffic on a block that's usually empty at night. With all of the tourists in that area, and businesses as well, this store is going to be a gold mine.

Sounds good; I see the cube being a big hit with tourists.

Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar

I see a huge demand for IPods at 3:00 AM in the morning . . .

The Genius Bar at 3 AM could be interesting ...

If the genius bar is staffed all night with the rest of the store, I can guarantee there will be people in there, yes even at 3am. It may not be for ipods, as you say, but have you ever had a tech problem with a mac and tried to get into the store downtown? Hint... they line up eeaarly in the morn. I would go in there at 3am no problem if I needed to. Especially if I had a project due the next day. As a creative professional who makes his living at home on a mac, I'm often up at 3am anyway, and I know I'm not the only one. If there is anyplace this could work, it is in midtown.
    They might even schedule late night dj's, who would spin music, for sale as downloads of course.

Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy
    If the genius bar is staffed all night with the rest of the store, I can guarantee there will be people in there, yes even at 3am. It may not be for ipods, as you say, but have you ever had a tech problem with a mac and tried to get into the store downtown? Hint... they line up eeaarly in the morn. I would go in there at 3am no problem if I needed to. Especially if I had a project due the next day. As a creative professional who makes his living at home on a mac, I'm often up at 3am anyway, and I know I'm not the only one. If there is anyplace this could work, it is in midtown.
    They might even schedule late night dj's, who would spin music, for sale as downloads of course.
    I agree with you MidtownGuy. There are many times I am up at 2 AM and have a question or need an accessory such as a cable but can't get it.

There are others like me up late at night, I see lights on across the street from me -- one of the things I love about NYC, there are always people up and about.

In addition, just the fact that you won't have to worry about hours at this place will be fantastic.

This store will be a relatively short walk for me and so I am looking forward to it.

I think they said it'll probably open in May.

Quote Originally Posted by macreator
    I agree with you MidtownGuy. There are many times I am up at 2 AM and have a question or need an accessory such as a cable but can't get it.

There are others like me up late at night, I see lights on across the street from me -- one of the things I love about NYC, there are always people up and about.

In addition, just the fact that you won't have to worry about hours at this place will be fantastic.

This store will be a relatively short walk for me and so I am looking forward to it.

I think they said it'll probably open in May.
    I've never owned an Apple product, but if the stores open all night and I'm drunk and in the area at 3am, I could definetly see myself forking over the dough for a video ipod.

LMAO ^^ I'm envisioning post-bar shoppers, inhibitions unchecked, buying up all those Apple goodies. They might be wise to start a Jitney service from various neighborhoods direct to the new Apple mecca.

I've never owned an Apple product...
    Now is as good a time as any to try it.

The new Mac's with Intel chips will run OSX, Windows Vista, and Linux.

You have the best of all worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    Jitney service from various neighborhoods direct to the new Apple mecca.
    This might attract some business ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magic Bus.JPG 
Views:	233 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	1471  

I hope this starts a trend towards moving NY back to being a truly 24-7 city. Has anyone noticed that since the Guliani years (whom I loved, but still) the city has gradually gotten quieter and quieter in the wee-morning hours? There are almost no 24-hour restaurants anymore and only one 24-hour starbucks -- hell on your typical suburban strip in NJ or Florida even most of the supermarkets are open 24/7.

Default Guliani Years

Quote Originally Posted by elfgam
    I hope this starts a trend towards moving NY back to being a truly 24-7 city. Has anyone noticed that since the Guliani years (whom I loved, but still) the city has gradually gotten quieter and quieter in the wee-morning hours? There are almost no 24-hour restaurants anymore and only one 24-hour starbucks -- hell on your typical suburban strip in NJ or Florida even most of the supermarkets are open 24/7.

Amen, NYc greatest mayor. IMO. I was at the GM building today --- a lot of construction activity,,,,,, many workers on street level...... who knows what was going on below grade.......This store is a work of art, as is the soho store...... I hope to take photos there sooon.;;;;;; seeing this go up today made me feel bettar about that nonsense that happende with the attempt to build in the chelsea/flat iron district. to bad that project got squashed.

cheers

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast