Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 278

Thread: GM + Apple = the Louvre?

  1. #31
    Architectural Padawan
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Turtle Bay
    Posts
    319

    Default

    http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0602gm.html

    Manhattan Apple store to be first 24/7 location
    By Ryan Katz, Senior Editor

    February 8, 2006 - Apple's upcoming midtown Manhattan retail store will mark a first for the company as sources report the location will be open 24 hours a day. The store, located in the underground retail plaza of the General Motors Building on Fifth Avenue between 58th and 59th Street will also be among the first stores to offer customers an iPod Bar.

    The 25,000-square-foot store will dwarf Apple's SoHo location and will be capped by a 32-foot glass cube that will stand in front of the building and house the stairs and elevators that will take customers underground to the Apple retail store.

    Sources report that construction of the store is on track to be completed in April, with the store expected to open by the end of May.

    Meanwhile, Wednesday's edition of Boulder's Daily Camera reports that Apple has leased a 4,900 square-foot location in the Twenty Ninth Street shopping center, just a short drive away from the Flatiron Crossing Mall in Broomfield, CO, where Apple also plans to open a store this year.

  2. #32
    Forum Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    1,278

    Default

    Is that our macreator in the comments?

  3. #33
    Forum Veteran macreator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East Midtown
    Posts
    1,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ryan
    Is that our macreator in the comments?
    You caught me

    I couldn't let someone's comment that the GM building is on 6th Avenue go uncorrected.

    I'm really excited about this Apple Store, it will definitely brighten up that spot of Fifth at night with some slick design and it looks like the GM plaza will finally work out as a destination after years of various ill-fated renovations.

    Plus, my 3 AM iPod cravings will now be satisfied

  4. #34
    Forum Veteran MidtownGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    East Midtown
    Posts
    6,832

    Default

    That's what i love- the round-the-clock hours. It should generate some pedestrian traffic on a block that's usually empty at night. With all of the tourists in that area, and businesses as well, this store is going to be a gold mine.

  5. #35

    Default

    Sounds good; I see the cube being a big hit with tourists.

  6. #36
    Build the Tower Verre antinimby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    in Limbo
    Posts
    8,976

    Default

    I see a huge demand for IPods at 3:00 AM in the morning . . .

  7. #37
    Disgruntled Optimist lofter1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC - Downtown
    Posts
    32,654

    Default

    The Genius Bar at 3 AM could be interesting ...

  8. #38
    Forum Veteran MidtownGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    East Midtown
    Posts
    6,832

    Default

    If the genius bar is staffed all night with the rest of the store, I can guarantee there will be people in there, yes even at 3am. It may not be for ipods, as you say, but have you ever had a tech problem with a mac and tried to get into the store downtown? Hint... they line up eeaarly in the morn. I would go in there at 3am no problem if I needed to. Especially if I had a project due the next day. As a creative professional who makes his living at home on a mac, I'm often up at 3am anyway, and I know I'm not the only one. If there is anyplace this could work, it is in midtown.
    They might even schedule late night dj's, who would spin music, for sale as downloads of course.

  9. #39
    Forum Veteran macreator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East Midtown
    Posts
    1,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MidtownGuy
    If the genius bar is staffed all night with the rest of the store, I can guarantee there will be people in there, yes even at 3am. It may not be for ipods, as you say, but have you ever had a tech problem with a mac and tried to get into the store downtown? Hint... they line up eeaarly in the morn. I would go in there at 3am no problem if I needed to. Especially if I had a project due the next day. As a creative professional who makes his living at home on a mac, I'm often up at 3am anyway, and I know I'm not the only one. If there is anyplace this could work, it is in midtown.
    They might even schedule late night dj's, who would spin music, for sale as downloads of course.
    I agree with you MidtownGuy. There are many times I am up at 2 AM and have a question or need an accessory such as a cable but can't get it.

    There are others like me up late at night, I see lights on across the street from me -- one of the things I love about NYC, there are always people up and about.

    In addition, just the fact that you won't have to worry about hours at this place will be fantastic.

    This store will be a relatively short walk for me and so I am looking forward to it.

    I think they said it'll probably open in May.

  10. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by macreator
    I agree with you MidtownGuy. There are many times I am up at 2 AM and have a question or need an accessory such as a cable but can't get it.

    There are others like me up late at night, I see lights on across the street from me -- one of the things I love about NYC, there are always people up and about.

    In addition, just the fact that you won't have to worry about hours at this place will be fantastic.

    This store will be a relatively short walk for me and so I am looking forward to it.

    I think they said it'll probably open in May.
    I've never owned an Apple product, but if the stores open all night and I'm drunk and in the area at 3am, I could definetly see myself forking over the dough for a video ipod.

  11. #41
    Disgruntled Optimist lofter1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC - Downtown
    Posts
    32,654

    Default

    LMAO ^^ I'm envisioning post-bar shoppers, inhibitions unchecked, buying up all those Apple goodies. They might be wise to start a Jitney service from various neighborhoods direct to the new Apple mecca.

  12. #42

    Default

    I've never owned an Apple product...
    Now is as good a time as any to try it.

    The new Mac's with Intel chips will run OSX, Windows Vista, and Linux.

    You have the best of all worlds.

  13. #43
    Disgruntled Optimist lofter1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    NYC - Downtown
    Posts
    32,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lofter1
    Jitney service from various neighborhoods direct to the new Apple mecca.
    This might attract some business ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magic Bus.JPG 
Views:	233 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	1471  

  14. #44

    Default

    I hope this starts a trend towards moving NY back to being a truly 24-7 city. Has anyone noticed that since the Guliani years (whom I loved, but still) the city has gradually gotten quieter and quieter in the wee-morning hours? There are almost no 24-hour restaurants anymore and only one 24-hour starbucks -- hell on your typical suburban strip in NJ or Florida even most of the supermarkets are open 24/7.

  15. #45

    Default Guliani Years

    Quote Originally Posted by elfgam
    I hope this starts a trend towards moving NY back to being a truly 24-7 city. Has anyone noticed that since the Guliani years (whom I loved, but still) the city has gradually gotten quieter and quieter in the wee-morning hours? There are almost no 24-hour restaurants anymore and only one 24-hour starbucks -- hell on your typical suburban strip in NJ or Florida even most of the supermarkets are open 24/7.

    Amen, NYc greatest mayor. IMO. I was at the GM building today --- a lot of construction activity,,,,,, many workers on street level...... who knows what was going on below grade.......This store is a work of art, as is the soho store...... I hope to take photos there sooon.;;;;;; seeing this go up today made me feel bettar about that nonsense that happende with the attempt to build in the chelsea/flat iron district. to bad that project got squashed.

    cheers

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Springtime In The Big Apple
    By MidtownGuy in forum Photos and Videos of New York
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: April 9th, 2012, 06:52 AM
  2. Big Apple Greeter
    By Dolphin in forum Questions and Answers about New York City
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: November 5th, 2005, 10:48 AM
  3. Big Apple?- what else?
    By monika.kaczanowska in forum Questions and Answers about New York City
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: November 5th, 2005, 10:38 AM
  4. Big Apple Veg Restaurants
    By peacenow9 in forum New York City Guide For Visitors
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: August 2nd, 2005, 11:07 AM
  5. BIG APPLE TWINS - GROUND AND SKY ZERO MEMORIAL
    By Suzana Spasic in forum Anything Goes
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: April 20th, 2003, 10:37 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Google+ - Facebook - Twitter - Meetup

Edward's photos on Flickr - Wired New York on Flickr - In Queens - In Red Hook - Bryant Park - SQL Backup Software